HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2010, 08:13 AM
The sky is falling!
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
640 Posts
Yes, as stated above...

In the Elevon menu, you need to reverse (change the sign) of the throws.

If they are set to 60/60 for ailerons, change to -60/-60 to reverse just ailerons.
Likewise for elevator. If set for -40/-40, change to 40/40 to reverse just elevator.

FWIW mine are set closer to 70 ailerons, and 30 elevator.

- Cliff
ChickenStick is offline Find More Posts by ChickenStick
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:37 AM
USA, CT, Newington
Joined Sep 2002
253 Posts
Cliff,

Thank you. Being a newbie to programing parameters I learn something new everyday. With access to a vast forum knowledge and help just around the corner, makes me glad that I have guys like yourselves to turn to for help.

Thanks again,

Jim
Christen Eagle 1 is offline Find More Posts by Christen Eagle 1
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:49 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdennis View Post
I have not had any problems with the servos I got from Dream-Flight, but I am curious about the circumstances.
Is a wing coming off when you are stripping the servo gears? It seems to me that having the servo on a separate non-removable part from the control surface invites this problem, so I glued my wing on with a few dabs of Goop instead of relying on tape or magnets.
Nope, the wings aren't coming off. Only one of the three broken servos I have suffered from a stripped gear and that happened as a result of me accidentally moving the elevon with my hand while moving the Alula out of my car. Usually the servo arm would just move with the power off but in my case one tooth on one gear stripped. No big deal if replacing the gear actually fixed the problem. I'm not sure how or why the servo Michael sent me (to aid me in repairing the others) stopped working. As previously mentioned the one that just broke this weekend just stopped working and had no broken gears. All three servos fail to work with with a fresh set of non-stripped gears. All three servo motors power up with no gears installed. All three potentiometers appear to work, activating the motors with a twist to the right or left.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:36 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2008
84 Posts
Hmm that's a little weird. You may want to check that you don't have any sand or grit in the gear that's on the motor. If you have the top of the case off you should be able to turn the first gear that mates with the motor pinion by hand. I had a servo that wasn't working (just made a faint buzzing) and now works after cleaning sand out of the gears (including the motor pinion). The BMS 306 servos have an opening where the wire leaves the case and I'm getting sand in through there.

With the gearing and plastic on the stock servos it seems like they really don't want to be moved when they're off. Too much force required relative to the strength of the plastic. This might actually help their efficiency (power draw) in normal flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees View Post
Nope, the wings aren't coming off. Only one of the three broken servos I have suffered from a stripped gear and that happened as a result of me accidentally moving the elevon with my hand while moving the Alula out of my car. Usually the servo arm would just move with the power off but in my case one tooth on one gear stripped. No big deal if replacing the gear actually fixed the problem. I'm not sure how or why the servo Michael sent me (to aid me in repairing the others) stopped working. As previously mentioned the one that just broke this weekend just stopped working and had no broken gears. All three servos fail to work with with a fresh set of non-stripped gears. All three servo motors power up with no gears installed. All three potentiometers appear to work, activating the motors with a twist to the right or left.
mangtronix is offline Find More Posts by mangtronix
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:27 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Most of my local flying is grass/rock so the recent coastal adventure would have been the only viable opportunity for sand and dirt to enter the servos. I was actually suspect of the sand when it stopped working. When I pulled it apart all was clean. The previously defunct servos were also clean when I pulled them apart. With each servo apart I did a finger-spin test with two gears installed, the one mating with the pinion and the next one over at the bottom of the center shaft. Two of three spun easily with no binding, the third spun a bit harder with occasional, random binding. Stumped.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 05:46 AM
USA, CT, Newington
Joined Sep 2002
253 Posts
WooHoo!!! Thanks ClayH, Jolly01, Jim-KKIW and Chickenstick. Tried the settings last night when I got home and finally got my servo and throws working the right way. Now a little artistic inspirations on the wings and it's maiden time. Thanks for all your help.

Jim
Christen Eagle 1 is offline Find More Posts by Christen Eagle 1
Old Apr 03, 2010, 09:00 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2008
84 Posts
Flew today on the coast with some very nice lift. Wow this bird is great!

Does anyone have tips on doing axial rolls? Rolling to inverted seems okay but when I roll from inverted back to upright the nose tends to drop. I'm starting to correct with some elevator but wonder if there are any tips.

I have my CG on the dimples and no elevator trim set.
mangtronix is offline Find More Posts by mangtronix
Old Apr 05, 2010, 05:04 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,238 Posts
You guys sucked me in and I bought one! Gets here tommorow, can't wait to get it together... Now to put together a battery pack, where are those AAA's?
Dak
Dakrat is offline Find More Posts by Dakrat
Old Apr 05, 2010, 11:43 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,526 Posts
Maidened mine on Sat, really impressed and pretty sure it'll do what I want off the dunes. Tried some side arm launches and got some decent height, although some of the transitions from launch to glide lost quite a bit of altitude, they got better the more I tried. Wing came off and pulled the control horn off so had to call it a day.

I noticed that the control horn flexes quite a bit on full down deflection, is it best to replace these with some sturdier horns? I think they'll probably give up after time due to the stresses of bending.
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Old Apr 06, 2010, 01:46 PM
Joined Mar 2010
45 Posts
Mine is here, Post office closed; I get it tomorrow

I am so excited. I am a complete newbie. I am getting both weasel and alula ; both with stock RC no receivers. I have to fit my optima 7 rx's in there will wait to find out.

For the alula,

1) Pod reinforcement (2 carbon or wood skewers)
2) piano wire (for wing)
3) Would like to do the carbon (stitch) btwn pod and wing to reinforce for dlg don't know how to do that pictures are hard to grasp for newbie
4) would like to make a switch and charging harness (but won't do it)
5) Lost model alarm with Lipo battery regulator (Won't do it)
6) 4 AAA battery (wont do it)

For the Weasel ....Any Recommedations and Can you correct me if I am wrong are these all the alula modifications.

I have one set of magnets ....Planning to use on weasel.....

Paint design Most likely stolen from you guys since i am not artistic and have not come up with any designs ...for alula infront of Cg and as light on tale....weasel ......don't know there was one for sale a few days ago I might steal his design...

Weasel strengthen ailerons with colored tape? Is that correct.....Please share a conclusive of the most important mods that a newbie can handle..
grandpost is offline Find More Posts by grandpost
Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:07 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpost View Post
I am so excited. I am a complete newbie. I am getting both weasel and alula ; both with stock RC no receivers. I have to fit my optima 7 rx's in there will wait to find out.

For the alula,

1) Pod reinforcement (2 carbon or wood skewers)
2) piano wire (for wing)
3) Would like to do the carbon (stitch) btwn pod and wing to reinforce for dlg don't know how to do that pictures are hard to grasp for newbie
4) would like to make a switch and charging harness (but won't do it)
5) Lost model alarm with Lipo battery regulator (Won't do it)
6) 4 AAA battery (wont do it)

For the Weasel ....Any Recommedations and Can you correct me if I am wrong are these all the alula modifications.

I have one set of magnets ....Planning to use on weasel.....

Paint design Most likely stolen from you guys since i am not artistic and have not come up with any designs ...for alula infront of Cg and as light on tale....weasel ......don't know there was one for sale a few days ago I might steal his design...

Weasel strengthen ailerons with colored tape? Is that correct.....Please share a conclusive of the most important mods that a newbie can handle..
The Weasel comes with magnets.
I covered my entire Weasel with lam film. It seems heavy and strong. Just about to maiden it but have to add weight to the nose, six five cent pieces worth of weight. I'll add some tungston rod under the battery to make that weight.

I'm not really concerned about the weight as where I live we have strong wind in the afternoon.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:08 PM
Gravity sucks
United States, WA, Richland
Joined Mar 2006
2,463 Posts
If you are a complete newbie, just build them stock and you will be fine. The mods make the Alula a bit tougher for discus launching and hard landings (read crashes), but for most situations are not really necessary. I have been flying both my Alula and Weasel for a year now and the worst damage I have done it cracking the belly pans. Not much you can do about that if your LZ is hard or rocky, just buy extras from Michael and help support his new baby.

Mike
SrWade is offline Find More Posts by SrWade
Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:16 PM
Joined Mar 2010
45 Posts
Were these all the modifications was it conclusive

Great I have an extra set of magnets.......I won't use on alula because I want to keep it light.

Can I use it for the weasel tale (I heard some people did that)

I will go stock only problem I will fly somewhere rocky... and I am a complete newbie ....I would like it to last through my learning process.

So reinforcing is essential laminating is great if I can do it .....what would be the easiest process of laminating......do you really put an iron on the wings.
grandpost is offline Find More Posts by grandpost
Old Apr 06, 2010, 03:25 PM
Gravity sucks
United States, WA, Richland
Joined Mar 2006
2,463 Posts
Laminating film is not necessary and will add considerable weight and difficulty to your Alula build. Because the Alula and Weasel are molded foam, they have a built-in "skin" and really don't need any covering at all. The whole reason for both of these models is to have planes that fly in very light conditions. Weight is your enemy. And the lighter they are, the less damage you will do on landing. I used a little bit of colored packing tape for decoration on my Weasel and sharpies only on my Alula. Magnets on the tail will add weight behind the CG, requiring even more nose weight for balance. Use Blenderm tape instead. My 2 cents.

Mike
SrWade is offline Find More Posts by SrWade
Old Apr 06, 2010, 05:34 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Raften,

As a new sloper/hlg pilot I would recommend the carbon pod reinforcement and a well taped pod on the Alula. A switch with charge jack is well worth the $7 and saves you from having to tape/retape your pod all the time. I find a lost model alarm to be cheap insurance for slope flying. I have had good luck with the Skyking RC units. My Alula is more pig than bird at this point. I would recommend going light on the covering. Packing or blenderm tape the LE and other areas prone to abuse.

Many people in this thread could be helpful with Weasel info but I personally think it would be better/more on topic to post Weasel related questions in the Weasel thread. Helps you and other people in the future.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1039051

Prepare for a lot of fun in your near future.