Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 06, 2009, 01:49 PM
france Colmar
Joined Oct 2009
33 Posts
i put TG9 and you can do thermals without any problem.... don't make like me and put greatter servos
jmbaur is offline Find More Posts by jmbaur
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2009, 02:46 PM
Joined Sep 2006
795 Posts
hmm maybe i can trade in my hs-55's
b36roxs is online now Find More Posts by b36roxs
Old Dec 06, 2009, 03:56 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakman7004 View Post
I have one layin in the workshop for my daughter(6 yrs) and i'm about putting some color to it...what shall I not use. Arcel do withstand..what?

/Jonas Ekman
Jonas,
i would use permanent marker. let her color it! paint works too but adds more weight than is necessary plus you have to let it dry and do extra coats. the instructions say to first spray with plasti-dip which acts as a sealer, and then paint over that with testor's paint or the like. i doubt you have that stuff by the same name in Sweden but i could be wrong.

why are you making her an alula? why dont you just make a sirius for her
cheers
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2009, 04:00 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbaur View Post
i put TG9 and you can do thermals without any problem.... don't make like me and put greatter servos
i used d-47's in mine. it came out just under 6oz. it thermals just fine (better than the first one, i feel) but it is more like a 2m TD ship than a DLG. you throw it once, and if you dont hook up right then, come back and relaunch. a DLG is different, you have plenty of time to search. i am really impressed with how well this plane grooves in thermal turns. its flies way too good for how cheap it is. thanks, Richter!
cheers
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2009, 12:47 PM
Sussex, NJ
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
AH! i was so sad to find out about the other thread! first off... what happened to those who had the bb 306 gear problems? im using them too. i have read plenty of bad about them well just see. mines coming along. ill post some pics soon!
BillHones is offline Find More Posts by BillHones
Old Dec 07, 2009, 12:56 PM
Sussex, NJ
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
AH! i was so sad when the other thread closed! glad to see another one. so what ever happened to those using the blue bird 306 servos with the gear problems? im using them in my ship. i have read plenty of bad reports on them... ugh. well just see! so my build is coming along. in the painting stage. i will be posting some pics soon!
Old Dec 07, 2009, 12:57 PM
Sussex, NJ
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
oops...
Old Dec 07, 2009, 01:00 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
This is a better place for it IMO. I think it thermals well. Maybe they closed it for the simple fact it was in the Slope Forum.
flyingj is online now Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Dec 07, 2009, 01:45 PM
Sussex, NJ
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
my build thus far.

so i used hobby town super gold + ca on my alula. works great!!! no kicker needed!!! no damage!!! i put the combat wire leading edge mod in. .025 piano wire.

i settled for camel yellow, coral blue, and red brown for my colors. paint in great! covers great with very very light coat! will use a clear coat over it. only surface prep was a wipe down with rubbing alcohol.

and i got a bunch of pics. they always tell a thousands words anyway... enjoy!

oh and a note on the double post. i thought the first one did not post...
Old Dec 07, 2009, 04:05 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillHones View Post
AH! i was so sad when the other thread closed! glad to see another one. so what ever happened to those using the blue bird 306 servos with the gear problems? im using them in my ship. i have read plenty of bad reports on them... ugh. well just see! so my build is coming along. in the painting stage. i will be posting some pics soon!
I have to take at least partial responsibility for the gear breakage on my 306BB. I accidentally forced the flapperon while I was pulling the bird out of the car. It's not common practice for me to force movement on a servo but I've done it before on others without gear breakage. I'm not sure if it's specific to these servos or micro servos in general but they do not like to be forced. There is a lot of resistance if you try to move the servo unpowered and I don't recommend trying it as you will likely break your servo.

I've requested schematics from BB with no response whatsoever, not impressed. I also contacted Michael at DF. He didn't have any schematics but he offered to pull one apart and take a picture for me. I'll post them shortly after they hit my inbox.

Your build is looking good Bill. I wasn't crazy about the idea of brown but it actually looks quite nice on the tail. Looking forward to seeing it complete.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Dec 07, 2009, 05:20 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillHones View Post
so i used hobby town super gold + ca on my alula. works great!!! no kicker needed!!! no damage!!! i put the combat wire leading edge mod in. .025 piano wire.

i settled for camel yellow, coral blue, and red brown for my colors. paint in great! covers great with very very light coat! will use a clear coat over it. only surface prep was a wipe down with rubbing alcohol.

and i got a bunch of pics. they always tell a thousands words anyway... enjoy!

oh and a note on the double post. i thought the first one did not post...
I recognize that label on the glue .

Looks cool. I like the paint scheme.
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Dec 08, 2009, 02:09 PM
Sussex, NJ
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
my build continued.

ok, so here is what it looks like now. i decided to invert the top color so the pod stays defined. compare what it looks like now to the final scheme mockup. masking the yellow will be a little hard as i fear the paint will pull up. it will mind you. i may deal with it by putting 1/8 goldberg pinstrip to hide it after painting. i almost like it the way it is! the tail also has a coat of clear applied. all painted areas will get that treatment.
Old Dec 09, 2009, 07:29 AM
flying is not a dream
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
987 Posts
60 seconds in dead air????
looks a lot of time for me...
i'm sure that even 30 seconds it's quite hard for me to do it!!!
i know that mine is in very bad conditions now, but even at the begening!

Alula inboard outboard video (4 min 26 sec)

anyway..... this little thing is SO FUN
lebenj is offline Find More Posts by lebenj
Old Dec 11, 2009, 06:03 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,338 Posts
My Brand of Alula

Here's my Alula I just finished yesterday. Man, I wish all my planes built this fast! I opened the box at 4pm and by 8pm I was putting on the finishing touches (including the time for the paint to dry on the wings, tail, and skid plate ) That's outrageous! Pretty much all of my other planes take me at least a week to build!

So, the scoop:
3 piece wing kit (this is gunna be THE travel plane)
JR S185 servos (6.3 gram)
400 mah 2/3AAA pack
Spektrum 6100e 2.4ghz Rx
Mouser switch jack, adds some weight, but makes life SOOOO much easier
Custom vinyl cut by my local sign shop
Strips from a scrap CF tailboom used to strengthen the nose (all 3 weighed a scant 0.5 grams ) nose is much stiffer!! and it looks pretty sweet too
Strapping tape on the LE, much better and stronger than the gum tape provided in the kit, I dinged a light pole on the maiden and not a dent to be found!
All in all, she comes in at 6.1oz I guess a bit portly, but this gunna be strictly a slop bird for me so I think she'll be just fine
So far, I like
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:13 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Nice work Wave Glider. I think the simplicity of your scheme looks especially good on the bottom with the accents from the black structural components and control rods. I dig the mouser jack as well.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees