HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2010, 07:42 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,090 Posts
Has anyone tried an upstart

So we have this monthly man on man thing.... 4 guys all launch at once from identical upstarts, all measures to 5lbs.

Competition is typically old Monarchs, Blasters, XP's, it's all launch equalized.

I wonder how this would do....
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:49 PM
Steve Chamberlin
Bay Area, CA
Joined Oct 2009
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapped View Post
One thing I will say, I figured I was going to get at least 30 second flights in dead air but I'm lucky to get 15. I am trying to minimize input as much as possible but I launch it and am able to get it back to me just before she lands. I'm thinking it has to do with my launch. I am launching with my thumb on the top of the wing, I haven't tried with my thumb on the bottom yet. What angle do you guys launch at? I think mine is around 30 degrees or so. Do you guys have any tips for longer flights?
I'm just struggling to get the hang of it, and most of my flights are probably 15-20 seconds on the flats. My longest flight ever was 50 seconds when some gentle wind blew in.

I've been launching with thumb on top, throwing the plane dead level with the horizon. I did try a couple of launches with thumb on the bottom, and it did seem like I got better launch velocity, but it felt awkward.
schamberlin is offline Find More Posts by schamberlin
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:35 PM
Sussex, NJ
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
Alula sal video

ok! so here is a little video showing my launch, and the height of a typical launch. this is my casual, fly for an hour sal only type launch. no soar arm even after 1.5 hours plus of sal's. i can get a little more height if need be to higher thermals. last time i flew it that way the wing seam seperated a bit... yeah i go to the gym launch height is in technique not strength. video courtesy of a canon sd1200 is. videographer is my girl. make it big and enjoy!

Alula throw technique SAL (0 min 55 sec)
BillHones is offline Find More Posts by BillHones
Old Jan 19, 2010, 03:36 AM
Kailua, Hi
Joined Jun 2004
114 Posts
John, I like your description, and I agree, the old alula was more nimble but kind of flicky. The new one seems to run faster and is harder to float in the turns. It always seems to need more speed. The ailerons on the old one seemed more responsive.
Bill the transition at the top of your launch is very nice. I can't seem to get my launches to stay straight. On launch my Alula flies almost straight up and rolls to the the left and heads directly backward to the wind. I increased my elevator and aileron throw and was able to get control at the top a little faster than before but I still loose alot of altitude in the transition to cruise speed and am usually going the wrong way. I tried launching with my thumb on top and get a straight launch but too horizontal and not as much altitude. Without lift I can only get about 25 seconds.
R/CDragonfly is offline Find More Posts by R/CDragonfly
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:36 AM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Jan 2010
62 Posts
Wow Bill! That's a heck of a throw! Thanks for the video, it was very descriptive. I will definitely try it next time!

EDIT:

Bill, what are your trim settings?

Do you have a "launch mode" trim setting for the Alula?
chapped is offline Find More Posts by chapped
Last edited by chapped; Jan 19, 2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 03:34 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,090 Posts
So has anyone put a logger and figured out how high it will launch compared to other pod/boom setups?
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:49 PM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,901 Posts
I'd think 50' max unless you're BillHones, which is like 70' (but a really, really amazingly good transition.
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Jan 20, 2010, 01:33 AM
Sussex, NJ
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
chapped and all: my settings are on page 12 right under yours. i dont have any special launch trim. what is useful is the throttle-elevator mix i set up. sometimes when throwing into the wind the bird will want to loop back. adding a little down during the launch can straighten it out. thats what you see me look at prior to the throw scenes. at the peak, a quick push back to center is all that is needed. transitions are hit or miss. sometimes the wind gusts are with you, and sometimes against you. you just gotta find that sweet spot with you thumb and not stall by any means. so a hard bank or loop to keep speed up. practice during dead lift is the easiest to fix any flight issues. small breezes really push this bird around easily. thanks for the compliments!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:49 AM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Jan 2010
62 Posts
Thanks Bill!
chapped is offline Find More Posts by chapped
Last edited by chapped; Jan 20, 2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:54 PM
Sussex, NJ
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
your very welcome! now we all need some warmer weather! at least here... launch height depends on how well you can feel your fingers! also how high you get your throwing side leg!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:35 PM
Steve Chamberlin
Bay Area, CA
Joined Oct 2009
121 Posts
El nino

This weather is killing me. It's been nothing but hard rain and thunderstorms for five straight days. I need to fly!
schamberlin is offline Find More Posts by schamberlin
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:03 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,295 Posts
It's funny that you North/South Americans associate El Nino with wet, we associate it with droughts. Same coin, different sides. Weather here has been all messed up lately. Hottest summer on record last, wettest (in parts) this year.

I've set my alula up so that I have about 1 click of down trim on a switch so I can launch with it down, then switch it off in cruising mode, or back on again to 'come home' through sink.

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:39 PM
Sussex, NJ
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
1 minute 3 seconds flight time

in northern new jersey, the weather was amazing today!!! no wind, clear sly, and sweatshirt weather warm. i went to the park with my sis, her bf and my dog. i wish i had my gf with her camera today. my sis timed one flight to 1 minute 3 seconds!!! others were in the 50's. it was 3:30 with what felt like no lift. i never saw the plane even have the slightest climb. later, a gentle breeze was blowing and flight times fell to 35 to 40 seconds on average. lots of time lost in the turn around. very pleased!!! i will make sure to get a flight with a time of this length on tape soon.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:55 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,112 Posts
I just got one... Quick build. Came out at 5.9ozs with d47s. CG at dimples. Should be lighter but I have too much extra wire looped in there. One of those switch jacks would be nice...

Hopefully, maiden today.

Jun C.

Hey RCPC!!! Bring your Alula at the next contest! You gonna make the SD contest on Feb 6th?
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:34 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
I just got one... Quick build. Came out at 5.9ozs with d47s. CG at dimples. Should be lighter but I have too much extra wire looped in there. One of those switch jacks would be nice...

Hopefully, maiden today.

Jun C.

Hey RCPC!!! Bring your Alula at the next contest! You gonna make the SD contest on Feb 6th?
hey, what are you doing here, Jun!? thats awesome that you got one. they are some pretty fun little planes. 5.9oz is just fine. these planes fly a little faster than our DLGs but will thermal just fine at that weight. i think mine weighs the same. do you need a switchjack? i got one for you if you remind next time we have an eldo contest.

i will be bringing mine out to the contests now. Matt N has one too and we can now finally have some fun with three in the air. dont know about the SD contest. they start too late and are too far. i dont like the idea of getting back home around 9pm. if i can wrangle Lex to come, i might be there, but not likely. see you soon!
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member