Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:53 AM
Sussex, NJ
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakhakker View Post
thanks for the info Bill, I am looking into perhaps making a cover to help strengthen it up some, if I do I will post results
i forgot to mention what i did to help with this!! i poured in elmers glue and let it harden. just make sure you compensate for the weight. take a peak at my nose in my other post. you block of lead is a little different than mine.

also i have unofficial flight times in dead air. i say unofficial because i had an emergency and only two launches in. flight times in dead air is 40 and 43 seconds. both launches looped... then i had an ugly stall right after... i also caught it the plane at head height which also killed time... i have my throttle stick working as an adjustable elevator trim tab. i need to tweak it a bit. this way i can put in some down when the wind gusts, or float it in dead it. i think when i get back out ill see times over 50 secs. my bird has paint on it, and a fully painted and clear coated tail btw... check out my build threads.
BillHones is offline Find More Posts by BillHones
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:12 PM
NorCal
Joined Nov 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pivlrs View Post
Maidened mine today. First gentle toss nose-dived immediately to the ground.
My first toss, it flipped back over my head. I put in one click of down. Next toss, dove straight into the ground. . After adding another dime to the nose things went much better.

B
bjue is offline Find More Posts by bjue
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:34 PM
still trying to get it right
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
Hi Bill thanks again for the info, well the snow has gone for the moment and I am hoping to do some test glides before sloping off to do a contract(3 weeks away) I have come up with the same idea as you and injected some beli zell into the nose which I hope has beefed things up some. I like the idea of trim on the throttle and will try to dial that in tomorrow,spektrum7,any info would be appreciated as I am not the best with computers am impressed with the times you are getting and will be well chuffed if I can get near that cheers yak
yakhakker is offline Find More Posts by yakhakker
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:01 PM
flying is not a dream
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
987 Posts
i would like also half or quarter trim click!!!
but between 2 trim click i don't have a so much difference, it will not loop or going straight to the ground.....
but when i'm fliying when i want to adjust for example the slowest speed in dead air, i meet the problem..
-> it's slow but i think it could go slower
-> after trimming one clik "up" it starts going up/down up down....
in this case i would like to have an half trim click!!!!

the "perfect" elevador trimmng, depence of the wind or speed you want and the CG.... so

i tried in the past the gaz stick as a trim, but it's hard to always find the perfect throttle stic position between 2 throws....

50 seconds in dead air??? WOUAAAA!!! actually in a strictly dead air, i'm 35 seconds. but my alula is 182 grams and has a very hard life.....
lebenj is offline Find More Posts by lebenj
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:38 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Jan 2010
62 Posts
I just finished mine tonight! Going to go to the park in the morning and trim it. I haven't flown RC in over 15 years and I've never flown a wing, so I'm sure I'm in for a real treat! Honestly, I hope I don't have too many problems. The CG is good, front/back and side/side. The weight is 6.25oz with everything. I have a Hitec Optic 6 and have programmed the dual rates for 20% elevator, 60% aileron. Does anyone know if I can program the "buddy" switch to do a preset trim for the launch?
chapped is offline Find More Posts by chapped
Old Jan 16, 2010, 05:10 PM
NorCal
Joined Nov 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebenj View Post
i would like also half or quarter trim click!!!
but between 2 trim click i don't have a so much difference, it will not loop or going straight to the ground.....

On my JR, I can adjust the trim steps, I think default is 4 steps for each click. I can change it to 2 steps or even 1 step, but unless you use servos that have good resolution, it still may not help. I probably have too much throw setup on mine to begin with.

Brian
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:52 PM
Sussex, NJ
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakhakker View Post
Hi Bill thanks again for the info, well the snow has gone for the moment and I am hoping to do some test glides before sloping off to do a contract(3 weeks away) I have come up with the same idea as you and injected some beli zell into the nose which I hope has beefed things up some. I like the idea of trim on the throttle and will try to dial that in tomorrow,spektrum7,any info would be appreciated as I am not the best with computers am impressed with the times you are getting and will be well chuffed if I can get near that cheers yak
i wont be around my radio until monday. but it was fairly simple. i have a dx6i. i just kinda messed around until i got it right. ill give you the details in a post soon, as i really dont remeber the exact things i did... i think i remember someone else doing this also in the old alula teaser thread. im sure youll get times along there with mine! just need to get a good toss and level off smoothly with no stalls.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:11 PM
VR6
VR6 Driver
Joined May 2003
231 Posts
Maidened my Alula this A.M. I crunched the nose a bit, but not bad. I need to put 14 gram at the nose to balance it. This is my 1st attempt at SAL, so I still need to learn on how to launch it. I managed to circle around and 2 hand catch. This is fun!!! The plane wiggle from side to side a little on launch..is it because I released it too late?
THX
VR6 is offline Find More Posts by VR6
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:40 AM
Sussex, NJ
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6 View Post
The plane wiggle from side to side a little on launch..is it because I released it too late?
THX
yeah that would do it i think. my first couple sals did that. i never saled a plane before either. just keep your arm straight, thumb on the button, and wrist cocked back a bit. kinda like throwing a frisbee in that sidearm, fingers on top manor...
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:45 AM
Steve Chamberlin
Bay Area, CA
Joined Oct 2009
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillHones View Post
kinda like throwing a frisbee in that sidearm, fingers on top manor...
Do you throw with your fingers on top? I've been doing it with my thumb on top, which is how the Alula manual shows it. Is there any pro or con either way, or is it just personal preference?
schamberlin is offline Find More Posts by schamberlin
Old Jan 17, 2010, 01:48 AM
Sussex, NJ
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schamberlin View Post
Do you throw with your fingers on top? I've been doing it with my thumb on top, which is how the Alula manual shows it. Is there any pro or con either way, or is it just personal preference?
i guess its personal preference, but i just naturally wanted to do it that way. never even saw that in the manual. lol. cant complain with the height im getting it to though...
Old Jan 17, 2010, 02:19 AM
france Colmar
Joined Oct 2009
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6 View Post
The plane wiggle from side to side a little on launch..is it because I released it too late?
THX
Have look to your tail..... may be a crack
jmbaur is offline Find More Posts by jmbaur
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:39 AM
flying is not a dream
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjue View Post

On my JR, I can adjust the trim steps, I think default is 4 steps for each click. I can change it to 2 steps or even 1 step, but unless you use servos that have good resolution, it still may not help. I probably have too much throw setup on mine to begin with.

Brian
yes i know.... but with my DX6i it's not possible, and also you need servos with very good resolution!
for the moment i resolve the problem with small CG correction!
lebenj is offline Find More Posts by lebenj
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:28 AM
VR6
VR6 Driver
Joined May 2003
231 Posts
jmbaur: thanks. I checked the tail, luckily no crack. I guess it is just my launch

Bill: OK, thanks....I definitely have to work on my SAL technique, need higher launch height also
VR6 is offline Find More Posts by VR6
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:33 AM
NorCal
Joined Nov 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebenj View Post
yes i know.... but with my DX6i it's not possible, and also you need servos with very good resolution!
for the moment i resolve the problem with small CG correction!
That's how I had to "fix" mine too since I'm using low res servos.