Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:28 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jredingt View Post
Any suggestions?
Tape the pan on really securely! The nose is easily damaged when trying to lawn dart it.

Many have put small carbon rods into the nose to about as far back as the leading edge. Some uni carbon under the battery & receiver may give added support also.

BP
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:05 PM
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Jan 2008
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp View Post
Some uni carbon under the battery & receiver may give added support also.
I was thinking about laying down some carbon tow along the interior of the electronics compartment. It seems like this would give the nose a better chance of staying attached during those extra violent DLG launches.

Would help add the weight I need to get CG as well.

Will report back.
jredingt is online now Find More Posts by jredingt
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:04 AM
Sniffing the glue
Joined Aug 2010
228 Posts
That is sweet Justin!!!!
scamair is online now Find More Posts by scamair
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:05 AM
Sniffing the glue
Joined Aug 2010
228 Posts
I just got a bunch of cf tow from aloft hobbies if u need
scamair is online now Find More Posts by scamair
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:07 AM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,386 Posts
With the battery & electronics being a tight fit, I do not think that area will break. The weak point is just before the wing saddle where the heavy nose will bend and break, and crushing the nose from impact. My first Alula suffered a crushed and broken nose, and was repaired with the carbon rod treatment. It lasted quite a bit longer after the repair.

BP
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:53 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,790 Posts
I use double sided tape to attach the pan very securely. This makes a huge difference to the strength of the nose. There are a few other places where my Alula's get re-enforced too: https://picasaweb.google.com/1181927...80/AlulaBuild#
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:07 PM
USA, MN, Blaine
Joined Feb 2011
119 Posts
It arrived today! Now to spend the weekend reading this entire thread as I prepare to put it together. I got a little time as my servos and battery won't be arriving till next week...

I'd like to add a throwing peg and do the nose reinforcement so I have to read to find those but are there any other suggested mods?

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354320457.575791.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 49.4 KB
Description:
Newman12 is offline Find More Posts by Newman12
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:26 PM
Australia, NSW, Meadowbank
Joined Nov 2010
194 Posts
I found that nose reinforcement isn't required but a smart thing to do. Most important aspect is to secure the nose cone. No movement at all is required. I ended up glueing mine in with foam tac. No problems with it yet.
ecenshu is offline Find More Posts by ecenshu
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Nov 2010
282 Posts
2nd. Try

Dieter! 2nd. Try
Sorry posted 1st. try in Slope. Found couple more pics on this laptop.Will send you rest I get back to States.
G
Dieter!
Sorry, This is the only photo I have on the laptop I’ve got with me hope it helps? We cut the elevons free and flipped them. Right becomes left left becomes right to get the bevel to correspond. Hinge… taped bottom per P. Wick. Horn and linkage (replacement)… top. Two we built we just ran through the top. Two built in Germany they ran through the wing, super, super clean but time sink. We used HS-5035HD’s. Worked well for tests. Best of Luck!
G
P.S Use the two scrap pieces of foam, from the wings, to fill the stock servo cutouts.
Capt. Gary is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Gary
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Jan 2008
211 Posts
Finished!

Stuffed some servos in the wing and messed with the paint job a bit! I think I'm happy with the way it looks now! Although I should admit, I kinda ripped off one of the color schemes from the Alula Teaser thread over in the slope forum.

Maiden flight showed flat ground flights of about 45 seconds average with the longest being just over a minute. surface wind at 5mph gusting to 7/8mph.

I'm happy with that for now! Especially considering that I made no effort to save weight. I feel like this Alula came out pretty heavy, although I don't have a scale to weigh it.
jredingt is online now Find More Posts by jredingt
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:00 PM
USA, MN, Blaine
Joined Feb 2011
119 Posts
OK I've read through the entire thread but I still have to go read the Alula Teaser thread. I am pretty sure I know what mods I want to do, one of them is to add a peg.

For you guys that are using a peg what are you making it out of? I fly powered and have some old/broken props but my guess is that since most posts say carbon props those old/broken props aren't going to cut it. I dont particularly want to go buy a brand new carbon prop just to cut it up for a peg but if I did what size and brand would you suggest?

What else might be used?
Newman12 is offline Find More Posts by Newman12
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:34 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman12 View Post
OK I've read through the entire thread but I still have to go read the Alula Teaser thread. I am pretty sure I know what mods I want to do, one of them is to add a peg.

For you guys that are using a peg what are you making it out of? I fly powered and have some old/broken props but my guess is that since most posts say carbon props those old/broken props aren't going to cut it. I dont particularly want to go buy a brand new carbon prop just to cut it up for a peg but if I did what size and brand would you suggest?

What else might be used?
Try flying it without a peg first. In a good headwind i can get a solid 80-100 foot launch by using the sidearm method in the instructions- no spin, just a step and swing. I fly dlg too. Just my opinion- I think a peg is overkill
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:25 AM
dumbthumb
World's Ass - Chile
Joined Dec 2004
357 Posts
My second Alula got a peg. Highly recommended, not only for the higher launch, also it helps to not hurt my shoulder, and is more comfortable for my wrist and fingers.

I used method described here, mainly reinforce the zone with fglass cloth and use carbon tow to tie and keep the peg in place. Without the carbon tow, the peg get loose.
aleXtino is offline Find More Posts by aleXtino
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Nov 2010
282 Posts
Couple more pics

Dieter
Found couple more mod pics on this thing.
Will send rest Friday
G
Capt. Gary is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Gary
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:54 PM
<<x USMC
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Jun 2010
675 Posts
Just recently converted my Alula with an electric motor... what a blast she is now.

Alula-e (7 min 39 sec)

more detailed info:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1787896
r0beert0 is offline Find More Posts by r0beert0
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Giving Thanks!