HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:20 PM
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Sep 2008
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangglider View Post
It was sent in the original box, nothing more.
Oh wait! I'm missing the tail too!
Sorry to hear this, you should better had ordered in the UK like i did (post #1549)

Great packaging, answers to my emails, and afterwards they asked me by mail if i
already did get some flights the weekend it arrived here (NL)
I think that's the most you can do online as supplier

HK is nice for cheap stuff that can wait between 2-6 weeks, but serious things i try to find "local". (EU, US)
Ebay or HK is nice 'till it arrives broken, then the fun goes away. . . . . . i know about that.

Well, the weather was just right today, tossed my arm off throwing so that will be painfull tomorrow to use it for my regular life

And no worries about reinforcement, all i did was glass-taping the front edge of the wings, underside of tail and a strip under the belly skid.
2 pieces of carbon tube through the belly with ca.
And after 2 weeks tossin' she still looke like new, so go light on the weight!
dutchxxl is offline Find More Posts by dutchxxl
Last edited by dutchxxl; Oct 07, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:24 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,535 Posts
Quote:
It was sent in the original box, nothing more.
Oh wait! I'm missing the tail too!
This is our mistake to ship you the spare parts kits, I will ship you all the missing parts from Hong Kong tomorrow.

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Sep 2008
45 Posts
A little help for inspiration. (i hope . . .)

I made a vid on how i designed my Alula.

I had not so much material to work with so i hope it will be enough for some inspiration to create something wonderfull.

Kinda funny is how the music relates to the drawing process. . . . .
It somehow represents in a funny way how my brain works,
shifting and switching thoughts just like the music.

Start with a piece of paper, and draw the outline of the wing on it so you can practise all you want before taking a permanent marker on your alula.

Kitchen knifes are good examples of creating all sorts of feather shapes.
Have fun! (i did )

alula wing design help HD 1080p.mp4 (3 min 54 sec)

Props for those Alula design examples i found on this forum and showed in this vid, they are great and without them i never found a way of designing my Alula like i did now.
Even thougt about buying a special paint spray kit to get good results, but before i can master that it would be next year or so.

You are free to PM or mail if i missed something, or if you think i can help.

(I think Ming in the post above did good on posting his mistake here and solving it right away, it shows he's a supplier who cares and changed me a little about how i think on HK. props for you man!)
Cheers! Mark.
Last edited by dutchxxl; Oct 08, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:20 PM
California
Joined Nov 2005
54 Posts
Dutchxxl, great job on the wing! Wonder if I could do something like that in bright neon colors.
And I thought that was good of Ming to come forward like that. Looking at his website, we are probably small potatos. So that was a nice touch.
hangglider is offline Find More Posts by hangglider
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Sep 2008
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangglider View Post
Wonder if I could do something like that in bright neon colors.
Believe me YOU CAN!
I wondered myself first about it too, try a rainy day, steal some paper and markers from somebody and give yourself some time and a smile!

Oh, and i wish i was in california . . . . . . leaves are dropping here like there there where no trees to hold 'em. . . . .crap . . . . .
Last edited by dutchxxl; Oct 09, 2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Sep 2008
45 Posts
Scrapyard Alula

This isn't pretty, but at least it flies (yes "it' the "she" part was ripped off also, lol!)
Broken Your Alula? (3 min 1 sec)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:22 PM
Rotor rider
Belmont Shore, Long Beach, CA
Joined Aug 2009
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBob View Post
My old Alula was getting really beat up after a couple years of abuse. I needed some practice using new stuff and various coverings so the Alula got a new look. The ailerons were covered with blue strapping tape, then new stuff over that. The wings were covered with Ultra Cote then new stuff over that. The fuselage was covered completely with bi-directional strapping tape then new stuff over that. All the coverings, except the bi-directional tape would tend to wrinkle when the new stuff was heated and shrunk. Although much heavier now, my Alula should survive a couple more years of abuse. I will, however, forget about trying to fly it in really light wind.

Bob
Alula Landing movie (0 min 25 sec)
BicycleBob is offline Find More Posts by BicycleBob
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:57 PM
California
Joined Nov 2005
54 Posts
Bob, is that a vertical ham radio antenna next to you?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:27 PM
Rotor rider
Belmont Shore, Long Beach, CA
Joined Aug 2009
415 Posts
It is not an antenna. It is a pole has a ribbon at the top that shows us the wind direction. I have more videos of the Alula flying back an forth but it is kinda of boring so I didn't post it. I will take some more videos on the weekend when we have a number of planes flying together that makes it more fun to look at.

Bob
BicycleBob is offline Find More Posts by BicycleBob
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:23 PM
SoCal
Joined May 2006
153 Posts
Wow, does that bring back memories.

I flew there twenty-five or so years ago. I worked in Long Beach and spent most of my lunch hours flying planes and watching pretty girls.

Thanks for posting that. Glad to see you guys are still at it.

Ron R.
rrunyan is offline Find More Posts by rrunyan
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, PA, North Wales
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
I have had my alula for almost two yers now and it is really starting to put on some glue weight.. so I thought I would order another one from dream flight, but they have been out of stock for months now are they discontinued or something!??! where can I buy one?
Grees is offline Find More Posts by Grees
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:36 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grees View Post
I have had my alula for almost two yers now and it is really starting to put on some glue weight.. so I thought I would order another one from dream flight, but they have been out of stock for months now are they discontinued or something!??! where can I buy one?
Ming still has some at windrider;
http://www.windrider.com.hk/product.asp?id=165#

Cheers,

Peter.
phomann is offline Find More Posts by phomann
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:45 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,535 Posts
Last 20 leave.

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:04 PM
California
Joined Nov 2005
54 Posts
Alula in the air.

Finally got all the parts together and we're flying. Now to work out the radio settings. Pitch is too sensitive and roll is sluggish. Lite tosses go well but hard tosses are weird. I throw it hard and up and it goes 20 feet and levels suddenly. hmmm. I'll get it worked out. Not crazy about my JR radio. Seems a bit complex. It's about 6 years old or more.
Painting. I choose to go with a simple theme. I do like it. But I bought this hobby acrilic paint that's just slightly better than water colors. It's 'Testors' brand. It would run.
I put a peg on it and re-inforced it with some glass cloth. Two layers of glass cloth on the skid plate using miniwax polycrylic. That's worked out real well. Hope it's not to heavy. Tail is got some re-inforcement glass at the joints and along the bottom of it for skidding. nose is glass re-inforced along with two carbon-fiber rods.
Don't have a scale. Not sure I want to know! ha ha
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:55 PM
California
Joined Nov 2005
54 Posts
I went out again yesterday and test flew the Alula. Looks like I got it trimmed and balance out good. Caught about half of 'em, which is excellent for me! Then I put the keychain camera on and it flew about the same, just not as floaty. Now, if I could just get windows 'movie maker' to work again. I updated it so it would open .mov files. So now it doesn't work. I unistalled it and downloaded it again from microsoft. Same problem. Apparently a known problem it turns out. I might see if I can get an older version and then just convert the .mov file to an .avi file before importing it. I'm eager to show off that camera! 120 degrees fov is nice.