Australia, QLD, Brighton
Joined Sep 2006
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by federl View Post
Hi folks,
some time ago i posted my setup for quick rolls:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...12&postcount=1
4.5mm behind the marker?? WOW great goin! Mine is most definitely nose heavy. Being nose heavy will make a model wander around of axis during a roll. I need to adjust my elevons manually, because I have no more down trim left on my TX..
lemuel is offline Find More Posts by lemuel
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:42 PM
Austria, Stmk., Sankt Radegund bei Graz
Joined Aug 2011
82 Posts
..well, it depends on your flightlocation and personal habits, look at the setup of
this guy:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=11
federl is offline Find More Posts by federl
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:00 PM
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Sep 2008
45 Posts
Hi all!
In my search for a silent plane and flying in nature surroundings i needed something without brushless screamers, and ordered a alula.
Tested it in realflight and i think it will be a great adding to my planes.
Now i find myself sitting waiting for the courier . . . . . .
dutchxxl is offline Find More Posts by dutchxxl
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,046 Posts
dutchxxl, congrats on your choice. Enjoy!
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:49 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Michael so kindly sent me a PDF manual and now I share it with Alula lovers of the world...
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Last edited by trees; Sep 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:29 PM
Rotor rider
Belmont Shore, Long Beach, CA
Joined Aug 2009
440 Posts
"Angry" Alula

My old Alula was getting really beat up after a couple years of abuse. I needed some practice using new stuff and various coverings so the Alula got a new look. The ailerons were covered with blue strapping tape, then new stuff over that. The wings were covered with Ultra Cote then new stuff over that. The fuselage was covered completely with bi-directional strapping tape then new stuff over that. All the coverings, except the bi-directional tape would tend to wrinkle when the new stuff was heated and shrunk. Although much heavier now, my Alula should survive a couple more years of abuse. I will, however, forget about trying to fly it in really light wind.

Bob
BicycleBob is offline Find More Posts by BicycleBob
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:39 PM
AZ
Joined Feb 2007
542 Posts
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees View Post
michael so kindly sent me a pdf manual and now i share it with alula lovers of the world...
j2m2t2 is offline Find More Posts by j2m2t2
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:54 AM
Australia, QLD, Brighton
Joined Sep 2006
150 Posts
Hi all, I must say I bought the Alula with the mind set that it would be a reasonable aircraft to set up, balance and fly. I have experience with small 28" span flying planks, with many hours behind the controls. However the Alula has been quite a PAIN to get trimmed properly. I flew in 10+ knots winds yesterday and it was not fun at all. I know it is meant for little to know wind but I wanted to see how it went.

I read an article talking about adding ballast to flying planks to aid with penetration. The article opened my eyes a little but I am still scratching my head.

One of the hardest lessons was in regard to the 45 degree dive test. I still don't understand dynamically how the Alula when placed into a 45 degree dive, which leads to the nose tucking under is considered tail heavy?!?!?!? I believe it but don't understand it. Is there someone who can help me understand this please?

regards
matthew
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:03 AM
Missing you too FB!
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2010
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuel View Post

One of the hardest lessons was in regard to the 45 degree dive test. I still don't understand dynamically how the Alula when placed into a 45 degree dive, which leads to the nose tucking under is considered tail heavy?!?!?!? I believe it but don't understand it. Is there someone who can help me understand this please?

regards
matthew
Hi Matthew

The 45 dive test only works when the plane is trimmed for level flight.

After the plane is trimmed do the dive test.....

If it's tail heavy it would have been trimmed with the elevator down to lift the tail up meaning it will tuck it's nose down when diving....

If it was trimmed for level flight while being to nose heavy your elevator would have been compensating by lifting the nose so going into a dive it will lift the nose.

The dive test results are based on your elevators attitude after trimming during level flight.

Hope this makes sense.
Bakkie is offline Find More Posts by Bakkie
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let's try FPV!!!!
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:08 AM
Missing you too FB!
Joined Sep 2010
2,360 Posts
Quote:
However the Alula has been quite a PAIN to get trimmed properly. I flew in 10+ knots winds yesterday and it was not fun at all. I know it is meant for little to know wind but I wanted to see how it went.

I read an article talking about adding ballast to flying planks to aid with penetration. The article opened my eyes a little but I am still scratching my head.

regards
matthew
The Alula has 2 small dimples that indicate where the CG is.... when checking the CG ad about 20grams to start and make her a little nose heavy it should help.

If she is very very twitchy on the elevator make her more nose heavy and then as you get use to her flying reduce your nose weight and work it back to the proper CG.

Adding expo to your elevator will also help.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:17 AM
Joined Mar 2003
3,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakkie View Post
The Alula has 2 small dimples that indicate where the CG is.... when checking the CG ad about 20grams to start and make her a little nose heavy it should help.
Do you mean to add 20 grams after it balances on the dimples so that it is 3/4 ounce nose heavy?
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:17 AM
Australia, QLD, Brighton
Joined Sep 2006
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakkie View Post

If she is very very twitchy on the elevator make her more nose heavy and then as you get use to her flying reduce your nose weight and work it back to the proper CG.

Adding expo to your elevator will also help.
cheers mate, the dimple thing is taken care of. I am trying to push the cg back as far as she will go. Some days she is perfect, But when the wind is a little wild, It is not friendly..

Has anyone seen the Birdy by wind rider?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:21 AM
Missing you too FB!
Joined Sep 2010
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayH View Post
Do you mean to add 20 grams after it balances on the dimples so that it is 3/4 ounce nose heavy?
yes it will help with some stability.

If you want to ballast her then the weight must be added on the CG point
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:21 AM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,609 Posts
Alula tribute. (4 min 12 sec)
SpeedsterDEN is online now Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:50 AM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,127 Posts
Quote:
Hi all, I must say I bought the Alula with the mind set that it would be a reasonable aircraft to set up, balance and fly......
..... However the Alula has been quite a PAIN to get trimmed properly. I flew in 10+ knots winds yesterday and it was not fun at all. I know it is meant for little to know wind but I wanted to see how it went.
I've been flying my Alula constantly since April (and man does it show....she's beat!), and my take on trimming is that CG on the dimples is not quite back enough....I'm about 1/8" (3mm) behind the center of the dimples now. I also reduced the elevator throw to slightly less than what the book recommends and I use a lot of expo on both elevator and ailerons. Another tip I picked up here somewhere is a throttle>elevator mix of 3 - 5%....this turns the throttle stick into a fine trim adjustment that is easy to tweak on the fly, and is much finer than the clicks of the trim button on my Tx.

I struggled for quite a while with getting her dialed in, but with this setup I finally feel like I've got her trimmed just right. The glide slope is much flatter now, she thermals reasonably well, and now she's slope flying as advertised: on a whisper of wind.

I had a couple great sessions this weekend. One day on 60 - 70' dunes in 10 knots of wind; she was smooth and stable, making almost hands-off passes, but snappy and responsive with more stick input . Then today, on little 8 - 12' dunes in practically no wind I was able to make 100 yard passes back and forth just a foot or two above the dune, staying up for 5 or 10 minutes at a time (for as long as I didn't make a mistake!) It was getting annoying explaining to passers-by why it was staying in the air
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT