HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:01 AM
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2012
39 Posts
The swiss alula returns!

Hey all I got the swiss alula out on the slopes and in the feild, flies both like a dream! I don't notice a whole lot of diffrence but it floats a little more and slopes alot easier! Not to mention it looks rad! Here's some flying I know how much you guys love flying!

edit: original video is gorgeous, figuring out how to make youtube be HD for me...

Swiss alula on the slopes! (1 min 54 sec)

Swiss alula! (2 min 5 sec)

here's annother on vimeo
j3d1b3n333 is offline Find More Posts by j3d1b3n333
Last edited by j3d1b3n333; Aug 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:40 PM
UK, Greater London, London
Joined May 2007
155 Posts
Cheers guys. Will give it a go.

Wij.
wijwoj is online now Find More Posts by wijwoj
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:27 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3d1b3n333 View Post
Hey all I got the swiss alula out on the slopes and in the feild, flies both like a dream! I don't notice a whole lot of diffrence but it floats a little more and slopes alot easier! Not to mention it looks rad! Here's some flying I know how much you guys love flying!
Chambers Bay?
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:44 PM
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2012
39 Posts
ah ha!

you know it! The light lift there was perfect for the Alula!
j3d1b3n333 is offline Find More Posts by j3d1b3n333
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:57 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,079 Posts
Nice. Never thought of sloping there, looks to be a decent spot.

RdJay
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:22 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
129 Posts
blue bird BMS-306BB servos for Alula

hello all,
just found three (3) servos at the bottom of my drawer...i bought them for Alula, only to lose them (& order others), so I'll be looking to rid of them cheap...ck the classifieds in your interested.
I know this is a little off-post, so hopefully someone could put them to use.
Love my Alula & Weasel...
vascoboy is offline Find More Posts by vascoboy
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:11 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
487 Posts
Made this video to carefully analyze my throws, see if I can get any feedback on my launch technique, and compare notes. This is my traveling Alula EVO (no launch peg). I can already see I need a bit more flexibility in my torso. I think I look a bit stiff in all the throws.

What do you think? All constructive criticism welcome

Alula Launch technique study (3 min 28 sec)
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:07 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,121 Posts
Looks alright to me, eosglider, but then again I've only flown my Alula for around 3 hours to date.

I pieced her together and maidened on Monday morning (my 'Sunday' haha) and was very pleased indeed. Gear list was a 900mAh 4xAAA NiMh pack, OrangeRx DSM2 chip (4g) and HK-15168's for the servos (8g each).

I started out flatland, about as big an area as two football fields side by side. There were trees to one side and ashpalt to the other, and a few shrubs in the middle with everything else clear. I didn't catch any 'boomers', not surprisingly, but I dialed in the rates and throws nicely and managed to have a few flights where I was able to noticeably catch some mild lift.

Overall I was very impressed!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:51 PM
AMA 964040
USA, MA, Worcester
Joined Oct 2008
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosglider View Post
Made this video to carefully analyze my throws, see if I can get any feedback on my launch technique, and compare notes. This is my traveling Alula EVO (no launch peg). I can already see I need a bit more flexibility in my torso. I think I look a bit stiff in all the throws.

What do you think? All constructive criticism welcome
I'm fairly new to DLG, too, but it looks pretty good to me. Maybe you could twist your body a little more. They say to think about winding up a spring. Let your hand fall back behind you while you spin, then bring it around at the same time you untwist your torso so that on the last bit, you are pushing with your legs, untwisting your torso, and bringing your arm around all at the same time, using your whole body.

Just make sure you have properly reinforced the nose, so that it doesn't break as you develop a more powerful launch.

You might want to post a new thread in this hand launch forum so that the other DLG guys see it. Most of them probably don't follow this thread, and I'm sure they would be able to give you expert advice.
MAP123 is offline Find More Posts by MAP123
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2012
20 Posts
Will a Hitec Superslim Rx fit in the Alula. If not, suggestions for a suitable size 72mhz Rx. And what to do with the long antenna? Have an Alula en route and want to have all the pieces ready.
pjschae is offline Find More Posts by pjschae
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:25 PM
Obey gravity, it's the law!
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Oct 2011
50 Posts
eosGlider,

I found that the SAL launches get me just as much height as the full rotation discuss launches, so why work harder? The Alula is so light that I see no benefit on doing the discuss launch.

Are you seeing higher launches when you do DL's?
BrickFlier is offline Find More Posts by BrickFlier
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:40 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickFlier View Post
eosGlider,

I found that the SAL launches get me just as much height as the full rotation discuss launches, so why work harder? The Alula is so light that I see no benefit on doing the discuss launch.

Are you seeing higher launches when you do DL's?
It felt like I was, but now that I have gotten a couple of clues from pensioner Pete on the DLG Exercises thread, and analyzed my video again, I think you're right. I'm going to put in my OpenAltimeter in the Alula and see for sure.

I don't think it's the lightness of the Alula that prevents any benefit from a discus launch, but rather it's short wingspan. It just doesn't drag behind you as far out as a DLG, hence you can't wind your body up as well as you do with a DLG on a full rotation launch.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:32 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,087 Posts
A small launch peg will probably give you more height on launch than better technique without a peg. A peg is much easier to transfer the throwing force to the plane than just pinching the wingtip.

After the peg is in, work more on the technique.

BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:30 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,121 Posts
This is why I just assembled mine and started flying it. No paint, no fancy launches... just SAL and fly it.

At the end of the day its not a competition glider, but it'll still give you some very fun flying in the right conditions.

Worst thing is that now I'm looking at Binary's and Elf's!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:33 PM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Sep 2009
353 Posts
Know what ya mean

I can recommend the Binary III, excellent plane!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954711

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
This is why I just assembled mine and started flying it. No paint, no fancy launches... just SAL and fly it.

At the end of the day its not a competition glider, but it'll still give you some very fun flying in the right conditions.

Worst thing is that now I'm looking at Binary's and Elf's!

Cheers - boingk
bingo17 is online now Find More Posts by bingo17