HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:22 AM
Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by combatxe2 View Post
Had a good flight last Sunday, managed to catch a few small thermals had a great couple of hours. I have put a 5 min video together of some of the best bits.

http://youtu.be/1qiD0kNaSLs

Trying out power director 10 so sorry for poor editing.
Enjoy
Awesome video, man you were having a blast, these Alula's are just a ton of fun all the time.

All the best

D
drmgcm is offline Find More Posts by drmgcm
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:41 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
Alula EVO Manual as PDF

I figured it would be great to scan my Alula EVO manual and make a PDF out it for other people to use as a reference considering that manual is so well written and it's nowhere to be found on the web. Well, I spent 30 minutes trying to locate one of the 2 manuals I know I had, but NOTHING. I think I might have discarded them when I was cleaning up.

Anyone reading this, if you have your manual and are willing to send it to me, I'll be happy to scan it and make a nice PDF document of it for the good of the Alula EVO community. PM me.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:47 AM
buckinghamshire
Joined Oct 2004
189 Posts
Has any one asked Mr Richter if we can have a PDF version posted on here?
combatxe2 is offline Find More Posts by combatxe2
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2012
44 Posts
swiss alula!

I know I'm a bit late but figured you guys would apreciate my swiss alula.... I killed an rx somehow so I decided to do an overhaul of the "hole" thing I don't have a scale but i bet this thing weighs alot less now, also I bought better smaller servo's than the poopy 9g ones i was using.... lame I know But here it is, don't mock my design, I let a little girl do it.
j3d1b3n333 is offline Find More Posts by j3d1b3n333
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:08 AM
buckinghamshire
Joined Oct 2004
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3d1b3n333 View Post
I know I'm a bit late but figured you guys would apreciate my swiss alula.... I killed an rx somehow so I decided to do an overhaul of the "hole" thing I don't have a scale but i bet this thing weighs alot less now, also I bought better smaller servo's than the poopy 9g ones i was using.... lame I know But here it is, don't mock my design, I let a little girl do it.
That looks excellent, what has it done to the wing strength? Does it feel like it will cope with SAL.
Id Love to know the weight.
Mark
combatxe2 is offline Find More Posts by combatxe2
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:04 PM
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2012
44 Posts
Swiss alula

I don't have a scale but it definatly feels lighter, the cg is much better than before, and will hopefully still penetrate ok. Waiting for new electronics....

[edit] Also, the wings feel just as strong as ever, all their major strength comes from that inlay of CF at the apex I've spun it around a few times and it doesn't seem any different as far as strength goes
j3d1b3n333 is offline Find More Posts by j3d1b3n333
Last edited by j3d1b3n333; Aug 12, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:18 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Looking good guys, very nice flights all round.

I've read through the thread from start to finish over an evening or two, having just ordered my Alula Evo from windrider in Hong Kong and have to say its very helpful indeed.

At this stage I have two servos options... HobbyKing 'Miniman' 4.3g servos (similar to D-47 specs) and HK15168's, which are similar to HXT 500's but a bit lighter. Receiver will most likely be an OrangeRx R410, or micro 4ch 2.4GHz unit for those not familiar. I have a 4AAA pack on hand so will most likely use that, too.

Plans for the moment are to try and get it all set as soon as it arrives and then go flying the following weekend after binding it to my DX7. Once again, thanks for everyones helpful posts throughout this thread... its been a good read.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:46 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
For those interested: Dream-Flight has a Facebook page now:

https://www.facebook.com/dream.flight.rc

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:17 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Sorry guys, should've been clearer - could anyone advise between the HK Miniman 4.3g servos (same as Blue Arrow) and the HK15168's? Manufacturer quoted specs at 6v input, weight including horns as measured by me:

Specs for the Miniman: 4.5g / 0.5kg torque / 0.10s
Specs for the HK15168: 8g / 1.2kg torque / 0.12s

I realise I could probably use either, but I am after more flatland thermalling than anything else and am wondering if the Miniman's would be strong enough without having to redo the elevon hinging?

Cheers - boingk
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:02 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2007
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosglider View Post
My traveling buddy (Alula EVO) slope soaring the Northern California coast... Such a blast!!! You can see my grin at the end of the video.

Alula EVO
Detachable wings taped together
Neck reinforcement with fiberglass cloth and CA on topside (Jun C. style)
Fort Funston National Park - San Francisco, CA
Hitec Aurora 9 talking to a Minima 6T
BlueArrow D05010MG digital metal gear servos via top-drive
700mah 1s2p 3.7v custom made LiPo
Voltage Booster
Using 808 #16 key chain camera as ballast on top of CG point
Great video! What time of day were you there? How was the parking?
7rider is offline Find More Posts by 7rider
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:11 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
Great video! What time of day were you there? How was the parking?
It was around 4pm and the parking was not an issue at all.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:45 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Hey guys, got my Alula today in the mail, can't wait to build her up and maiden her sometime this week. Weather is a bit windy at the moment but otherwise good.

Cheers - boingk
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:12 AM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined May 2007
185 Posts
Couple of questions for you knowledgeable types.

I quite brutally squashed the nose of my alula practicing flying inverted the other day . It went in nearly vertically and the plastic skid popped off as I hadn't taped it fully. I had re-inforced the nose with 4 small carbon rods slotted in, and this worked well meaning the pod didn't actually break.

Can anyone confirm whether hot (but not boiling) water would help bring out some of the wrinkles? Not sure if this will help\damage the foam the alula is made of. I've just had a look on the dream-flight site and it says alulas are made from EPO these days. I'm sure when I bought mine (pretty soon after they came out) it said they were made from arcel foam. Has this changed?

Thanks in advance.
Wij.
wijwoj is offline Find More Posts by wijwoj
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:42 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Hot water will indeed take out the wrinkles - I believe as hot as it comes out of the tap is okay, but on the point of simmering is better and quicker.

Cheers - boingk
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:03 AM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
simmering works great
MichaelConnally is offline Find More Posts by MichaelConnally
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Libelle HLG