Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 06, 2003, 11:44 PM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
I'm glad to hear you guys enjoy mods on your TM's. I used to be into the details too, but I've had one too many "hangar queens" crash only to end up in my frustration. Now, I don't care what the plane looks like as long as it flies!!

I would highly recommend any beginner pilot to wait for the new kit to come out. I used old military surgical thread for my wires, (super tough..impossible to break with your bare hands) and it looked great and gave extra strength, but still had the wings break and get beat up. The new kit definitely doesn't look as elegant, but for a beginner's first plane, I would wait to buy it and go with durability over looks.

Just my 2 cents.

kevin
thomer is offline Find More Posts by thomer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2003, 02:03 AM
No cash=time for ideas!
Boeing Field, Seattle
Joined Mar 2003
316 Posts
Thats the S400 (IIRC) DD BIG TM. Which is why the prop looks wierd...
Fall_Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Fall_Ryan
Old May 07, 2003, 02:54 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Nevermind the TM. The Easybug and Gold Angel should be arriving within the next 10 years!

Well, at least those are the planes my wife and daughter are excited about.

The 'Bug is huge and should look nice hanging in my daughter's room. And, of course at the local club (the Horror!).

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old May 07, 2003, 03:22 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by daveWCO
Nevermind the TM. The Easybug and Gold Angel should be arriving within the next 10 years!

daveWCO
Sorry to correct your estimation. The Easybug and Gold Angel should be here in USA with 10 weeks.

Big TM may be within 4 months.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old May 07, 2003, 08:04 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thomer
I'm glad to hear you guys enjoy mods on your TM's. I used to be into the details too, but I've had one too many "hangar queens" crash only to end up in my frustration. Now, I don't care what the plane looks like as long as it flies!!

I would highly recommend any beginner pilot to wait for the new kit to come out. I used old military surgical thread for my wires, (super tough..impossible to break with your bare hands) and it looked great and gave extra strength, but still had the wings break and get beat up. The new kit definitely doesn't look as elegant, but for a beginner's first plane, I would wait to buy it and go with durability over looks.

Just my 2 cents.

kevin
Hi Kevin, The new "Big TM" is going to have a larger motor, the 300 or 400 and ailerons, and will be considerably faster and heavier, 15 to 17 ounces.

Heavier planes crash harder, so while it may be more durable it is going to need to be a lot more durable to stand up to the same crashes that break the little Tigermoth.

With ailerons it is not likely to be as easy to fly as the little 'moth and probably will not make a suitable trainer.

The extra speed is also going to be a factor. No doubt it will fly in wind better but you can also get into trouble faster.

I think the current small TM will still be a better trainer for a beginner.

If you're planning to destroy your planes it probably is a waste of time to add any details, I build them to fly, not to crash, and hopefully they will be around long enough to make the details worth the tiny bit of extra effort it takes to add flying wires, pilots, cockpit sides, landing gear and paint.

My first 'moth is semi retired, it's pretty wore out, and the second is still going strong. Both have over 200 flights.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old May 07, 2003, 08:15 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,183 Posts
I flew the heck out of an Easybug last weekend at RCX. It'll hover, Harrier and flies like a bat outta Hades on the stock 300, 1080 prop and eight cells. LOTS of fun!

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old May 07, 2003, 08:29 AM
Melbourne, Fl
Joined May 2002
183 Posts
Mark,

Would the bug make a good trainer? My daughter has been flying the TM and SS w/ a buddy box and is 'bout ready to be cut loose.
She's gonna LOVE the bug (The "Love Bug?").

BK
tradernfl is offline Find More Posts by tradernfl
Old May 07, 2003, 08:30 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
trap

Quote:
Originally posted by GWS4CEO
Sorry to correct your estimation. The Easybug and Gold Angel should be here in USA with 10 weeks.

Big TM may be within 4 months.
GWS4CEO:

I thought I'd get a quick response by saying "10 years (it was a trap!)!

I'll be waiting - thanks for the update.

daveWCO
Old May 07, 2003, 08:33 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Easybug

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wood
I flew the heck out of an Easybug last weekend at RCX. It'll hover, Harrier and flies like a bat outta Hades on the stock 300, 1080 prop and eight cells. LOTS of fun!

mw
Mark:

Someone has to ask: Did any of the slimer pilots laugh at you while flying the Easybug? (lol!).

daveWCO
Old May 07, 2003, 08:38 PM
TeamZiering
Chandler, AZ
Joined Mar 2002
1,859 Posts
More important than laughing, Did they laugh and point?

-Josh-
enigmabomb is offline Find More Posts by enigmabomb
Old May 25, 2003, 08:45 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
In the mean whlie during the RCX show, her sister was hovering there too!

Old May 26, 2003, 01:52 AM
* iStar & PinkStar *
Joined Oct 2001
750 Posts
Easybug

I believe it is the "WOW" factor that counts. During RCX demo, I actually heard a father talked to his ~8 year old son, something to the effect of "Wow, that bug really flies, wanna get one?!" They then headed to GWS booth. The easybug not only flies well, it hovers well, too. No doubt that it is going to attract some young flyers.
MartinChou is offline Find More Posts by MartinChou
Old May 26, 2003, 02:24 AM
Joined May 2003
12 Posts
So when do we get the Easybug in US? Horizon doesn't have it on their site yet.
mikedan is offline Find More Posts by mikedan
Old May 26, 2003, 05:00 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
GWS is doing the EasyBug instruction manual check! Poor Engilsh need a lot of correction!

The rest parts all ready. Hope we may ship first lot at mid of June. In USA, LHS may get her about mid. of July?