HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2003, 01:47 AM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
New improved Tiger Moth kit by GWS coming soon!

Hey gang,

Got some great news about the GWS Tiger Moth! Forget about the thread, the fishing wire, the cat gut, whatever you are used to using to strengthen the TM wing! You won't need it anymore!!

I was at the RCX show in Anaheim over the weekend, and they have a brand new Tiger Moth kit coming out soon (a few months they said) with much stronger wings, struts, and cowl. I saw one on display, and the new wings are super thick and tough like the strength of the EStarter wing or similiar, and the new cowl is made of thick foam as well and not the flimsy plastic that can crack and get brittle. Wasn't quite sure if the cowl is a separate piece of foam, or if it is a part of the fuse, but this think looks really, really tough. The struts are tough and are attached like the EStarters as well with that cool little plastic snap piece to hold 'em together. The new kit doesn't look quite as sleek with the thicker wing and cowl, but once I get one, I won't miss that egg carton foam anymore!

Kevin

One of the guys here from the forum took some pics of the RCX show, and he had a pic of the new plane on EZONE a few days ago. I'm trying to find it so I can post it, or maybe someone can find it and do the same.
thomer is offline Find More Posts by thomer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2003, 01:56 AM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
Here is the link for the picture of the new Tiger Moth. K2rick took the pics.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=115100
thomer is offline Find More Posts by thomer
Old May 06, 2003, 03:23 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Apr 2003
3,171 Posts
let's see: from those photos

1/ the Me-109 looks awsome
2/ the spitfire looks... oh yeah.... OK
3/ the new tiger moth does not look as good as the previous version. It seems heavier and less agile than her sister.

but can't judge by the look of the photos though.
rcguy01 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy01
Old May 06, 2003, 07:09 AM
Iowa
Joined Oct 2001
595 Posts
same lousy wheels, but now it has three of them.
ronnath is offline Find More Posts by ronnath
Old May 06, 2003, 08:14 AM
Hey... watch this...
Herndon, Virginia, United States
Joined Feb 2003
787 Posts
Could theat be the 300 powered TM ?... Looks like it has airlerons to me.... check out the lower wing.

Mike
Mmarshall is offline Find More Posts by Mmarshall
Old May 06, 2003, 09:05 AM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
I the really important thing here is that, once again, GWS has shown that they're listening to us. Not many (large) manufacturers doing that.
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old May 06, 2003, 09:36 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Note that the TM has a GWS Hyper Drive prop on it rather than the standard Reduction Series prop. I'd say that this is probably the new, larger TM and not a replacement for the original.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old May 06, 2003, 09:52 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,605 Posts
The guy that took the photo said it's about the same size as the original. I read somewhere that they were talking about a sp400 size also. I'm in for one of these, I love th TM but I can't seem to get a break from the wind and it's so light.

Also look at the top wing, looks like they tried to mold a more scale looking wing. There appears to be a tank between the wings. I hope they offer up a larger size in an unpainted kit.
bullseye000 is online now Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old May 06, 2003, 11:51 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Apr 2003
3,171 Posts
the new tm ought to have
1/ no or little dihedral (so the ailerons can be used effectively)
2/ more speed than her sister tm (same reason as above)
3/ gws ceo talked about speed 400 on this new tm
Old May 06, 2003, 12:01 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Re: New improved Tiger Moth kit by GWS coming soon!

Quote:
Originally posted by thomer
Hey gang,

Got some great news about the GWS Tiger Moth! Forget about the thread, the fishing wire, the cat gut, whatever you are used to using to strengthen the TM wing! You won't need it anymore!!
Need it or not, flying wires are a mandatory mod for me. A biplane just doesn't look "right" without them. (unless the full scale version didn't have them, like the DR1). You can count on my GWS Stearman having them when it finally gets here.

I agree that this is the new "Big TM" and not a replacement.

http://www.gws.com.tw/english/english.htm

http://www.gws.com.tw/english/product/airfly/pt17.htm
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old May 06, 2003, 01:18 PM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
Quote:
I agree that this is the new "Big TM" and not a replacement.

Yeah, i agree.

I saw the GWS ME-109 at my LHS, the plane looks nice, but i find it kinda ugly. I sure like that pattern ship though! and the islander! i will be picking those up this summer! The new tiggy is so-so, bt might be worth a go.

Thomas
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Old May 06, 2003, 01:58 PM
Joined May 2003
12 Posts
Wait?

So if I'm just considering getting into a Tiger Moth as my first trainer plane, should I wait for the new model? Seems a no-brainer as, generally, sturdier = better.

Any pointers on an ETA for this?
mikedan is offline Find More Posts by mikedan
Old May 06, 2003, 03:40 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,680 Posts
Hi Mikedan, Welcome to E-zone.

I'd go with a Slow Stick for your first plane, but if you really want a Tiger Moth (and it's not a bad choice) I wouldn't wait. Who knows when it will actually get here.

There are so many great Tigermoth modifications detailed on the forum you can make a current TM a rocket if you want. Wing wires are the most important mod. Just do a search on Tiger moth wing wires and there will be lots to read.

Melf
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old May 06, 2003, 04:22 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,982 Posts
It must have ailerons. There isn't much dihedral in that wing. It looks fat. I'm not sure... but I'm leaning toward the old one looking better. Ack! Those wheels!

I have to agree with BC. No biplane should be without wing wires. It just isn't done! 8-)

I checked your link to GWS and the prop looks different on that one. Anybody emailed Debbie yet?
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
Last edited by Buzz; May 06, 2003 at 04:32 PM.
Old May 06, 2003, 10:47 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Apr 2003
3,171 Posts
yes, why wait, buy the current moth, do some modifications then you will have a die hard tiger moth