HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2009, 02:47 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Oh those 500 size scale blades already have the weight in the tips? Sweet!
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:18 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
I got my head and blades in. I ended up canceling my order with Smart Model and ordered it from http://www.fast-lad.co.uk and had it in my hands 3 days after ordering. I also ordered a set of blades from www.skyhunterhobby.com and had them in my hand 3 days after ordering. So far I am so so about the head. The swash is not as smooth as I had hoped but it seems like it will work fine. Also, one of the blade grips looked like it was hit with something and had a bad bur on one side. I was able to file it down and it seems ok now. I am really impressed with the blades. Out of 6 blades, 4 weighed 68g, one 69g and one 70g. They are all balanced pretty close now. They also have weight in the leading edge tip which is nice. This should help with stability. They are a nice material. They are described as plastic but a better description is fiber reinforced plastic. They seem very sturdy. I am not sure how to store the heli though. I guess I will just leave them extended so any droop they get will be even.

I have the phasing right at 90 degrees. Most of it was done mechanically and the last few degrees done with the AP2000i. It is really strange seeing the rear and front blade not move with elevator input. Gotta have faith I guess.

Well here is a pict. I am planning on spinning it up later and hopefully, weather permitting, a test flight this weekend.

EDIT: The spin up went well and I was able to get the tracking pretty spot on. The extra weight of these blades is very apparent. It doesn't "jerk" so much when the head starts to spin. Also, when power off, these things spin and spin! Even though I have it bungeed down on the table, this thing is very intimidating! I may get it spun up outside tomorrow and set the head speed. From what I understand I need to be around 2000-2100 to get the phasing to work correctly.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by techspy; Dec 14, 2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 02:01 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Holy crap! So I strapped it down outside yesterday to spin up and get a head speed reading. I guess I put too much positive pitch in and the frame broke loose from the fuse base and it started to do the headless chicken dance. I immediately killed the throttle when its started to let loose but the 5 heavy blades just spun and spun. End results were a couple spots of damage on the fuse but worst of all every dang blade grip bolt got bent. Amazingly all the blades are fine and the shaft was not bent. I was able to find the exact bolts needed at a local hardware shop and had it all back together with a test spin up before bedtime. My fault really for only using epoxy on the rear mount (too hard to get to with a screwdriver) and too small of screws for the front mount.

Anyway, the fuse damage will be fixed tonight and I will just make it look more weathered. Lesson learned. Hopefully I will be able to get it in the air over the next week that I have off from work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2009, 03:07 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
I got my first flybar hover in today. There was a slight breeze so that made me even more nervous. It turned out it was anything strange at all. I had the head speed way too high and it almost vibrated to death. Got it lowered and the first flight was fine. I guess the gyros worked fine. It is probably boring to watch but it sure wasn't boring for me considering all the stories I have heard about it being "squirrely" without a flybar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYgj_b6jRjc

I will get some open flying later on.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2009, 04:04 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
Looks pretty good..But you need to get it out of the backwash, at least 2 feet off of the ground...
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Old Dec 19, 2009, 04:54 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Yeah I will when I get into an open area. Too many branches in the driveway.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:54 PM
CT4
Sydney Australia
Joined Oct 2006
59 Posts
What head speed did you use in the end?
CT4 is offline Find More Posts by CT4
Old Dec 20, 2009, 09:36 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
I haven't checked it yet. I will post it when I get it checked.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2009, 09:02 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
I noticed the two gyros. What did you use to get it to work properly. Or did I miss something in the build ?
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:13 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Ok, a test flight today before it got too windy went pretty good. I had one strange issue where it climbed pretty quick without my input but I think it was because a gust of wind got under it.

Anyway, I got my headspeed set to about 1700 now and may bring it down a bit more next time I get out to fly.

As for the gyros, I have one for aileron and one for elevator. They go between the RX and AP2000i and are used instead of a flybarless stabilization system. Total cost was about $100 and the AP2000i also has the IR stabilization. It seems to work pretty well as seen in the video. When it popped up it was pretty windy and it didn't show any signs of being twitchy or out of control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McghERy3VII
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2010, 02:30 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Here is the last test flight with the AP2000i and gyros. I know have a Skookum sk360 installed and like it much better. Once the weather clears I will get some forward flight tests in. I also cut about 1/2 inch off of the shaft for a more scale appearance and now have all the control linkages straight and do all the phasing electronically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSIKqd1cgD0
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:19 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Added a follower counterweight, replaced both the main and tail shaft and it is very smooth now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:06 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
Techspy

I am going to do a Hughes 500D also. Is there enough room in the front to build a cockpit. Or does the battery extend to far forward ? I don't see any pictures of yours with the battery in it (or at least where I can see the battery)..
Can you post a side shot of the front with the canopy on and off with the battery installed...
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:15 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
No room for a cockpit. I would have liked to put one in as well but the battery takes up too much of the space. You cant really modify it either as the cog requires the battery to go as far forward as possible.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:07 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
Darn.. Well I will see what I can do when I finally get it.. And found the Hughes repair manuals that Hughes corporation sent me. How are these for some detailed pictures.. I have 97 Official Hughes repair manuals in PDF format.