HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2009, 08:17 AM
Joined Sep 2007
3 Posts
Discussion
World Biggest Quadrotor for filming

This aircraft can carry cameras more then 4Kg. 3 axis stabilization with computer control.
Ufo1_Download.mp4 (4 min 33 sec)

www.ufo-camera.com
flyboyvenci is offline Find More Posts by flyboyvenci
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2009, 09:49 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,357 Posts
Now that is something! Even the camera was gyro controlled. It was very smooth!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Dec 05, 2009, 02:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
At over 30k US per copy..........
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 05, 2009, 08:49 PM
I fly low, I'm in high demand
Smithtown, NY
Joined Jul 2003
848 Posts
.......... and I thought a Maxi Joker was big bucks !!
birdman11787 is offline Find More Posts by birdman11787
Old Dec 05, 2009, 10:24 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyvenci View Post
This aircraft can carry cameras more then 4Kg. 3 axis stabilization with computer control.
Ufo1_Download.mp4 (4 min 33 sec)

www.ufo-camera.com
I love the size , and stability of this bo-hemoth ...

Terry
KAMAX-T is offline Find More Posts by KAMAX-T
Old Dec 05, 2009, 10:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I have to wonder how the flight duration adds up. Looks like it'll eat up a lot of mah's real quick.
Old Dec 06, 2009, 02:56 AM
Joined Aug 2006
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
I have to wonder how the flight duration adds up. Looks like it'll eat up a lot of mah's real quick.
They said on their website the get around 7mins with camera.

Actually I wonder why they didn't go with an 8 motor setup....
ben1101 is offline Find More Posts by ben1101
Old Dec 06, 2009, 03:44 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
Take a look @ 4:21 in the vid.
What kind of Tx. is that ?...RTR
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Dec 06, 2009, 09:50 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,869 Posts
Sorry for being slightly off topic, but what is the advantage of a quadrotor over a helicopter ?
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Dec 06, 2009, 10:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
More stable and a lot easier to fly.
Old Dec 06, 2009, 10:20 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,114 Posts
But the lack of the ability to autorotate, the poor payload to cost ratio, and the debatable "easier to fly" claim given that a conventional helicopter is as easy to fly when similar electronics are included, confirm my view that multi-copters would be in wide use by professionals if they really did offer compelling advantages.

However, there is little sign of the pros taking them up...
Tonystott is online now Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Dec 06, 2009, 11:11 AM
Joined Aug 2006
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonystott View Post
But the lack of the ability to autorotate, the poor payload to cost ratio, and the debatable "easier to fly" claim given that a conventional helicopter is as easy to fly when similar electronics are included, confirm my view that multi-copters would be in wide use by professionals if they really did offer compelling advantages.

However, there is little sign of the pros taking them up...
I think it is premature at this stage to draw conclusions regarding the use of helicopters/quadcopters in professional applications.

This is perhaps the first quad of this scale used for pro video. Quads have been an "emerging technology", and still are - the knoweledge required to build a quad has been relatively restrictive to the average hobbyist, even to the AP pro. Lately I have seen more developers offer ready to fly solutions, yet most are not mature designs whereas helicopters have been available for many years.

There are still hurdles to overcome before either becomes a winner (or neither, both have relevant applications unique to their design and the operator ultimately makes the choice to his preference). I know redundancy can be built in to quads with 8 motors or more, and similarly efficiency goes up with more motors.

We see new tech being applied to the AP industry as soon as it becomes available, yet getting smooth, consistent footage is still difficult. If we have another platform that proves reliable at this scale then what have we lost?

The inherent design of the quad means it is electronically stabilized, and with accelerometers we have the data readily available to put through to the camera mount for compensation. This means one less system to worry about as opposed to outfitting a conventional helicopter with the stabilization device, configuring the parameters etc..
ben1101 is offline Find More Posts by ben1101
Last edited by ben1101; Dec 06, 2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2009, 02:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I would think that given the expense of this particular quad copter that for at least a large budget movie, renting a pilot and full scale heli would be more cost effective and more reliable as for getting the "money shot". After all, in a full scale heli you've got a camera man that's actually right there as opposed to a guy on the ground that doesn't have quite the same view or perspective in relation to the subject.
A full scale heli can also stay in the air a much longer time, thereby giving more flexibility and the ability to do multiple takes from multiple angles. IMHO this platform is neat but it has too many inherant drawbacks in comparison to it's cost.
It's far too expensive for the hobbyist and not quite up to the standards required by the movie industry. It would have applications as far as law enforcement or in areas that would put a flight crew in direct jeopardy such as fires or chemical spills or a situation that it could be fired upon.
If I were flying it I'd be so involved in looking at the flight time that I'd never feel comfortable putting it to it's ultimate limits. Seven minutes isn't very long at all in the air and that actual flight window would be much shorter in order to have a margin of error.
Old Dec 06, 2009, 06:04 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,114 Posts
It is a shame that many multicopter enthusiasts seem to have an inability to accept that there are fundamental issues with the concept. The lack of autorotation ability cannot be dismissed by increasing the number of rotors. There are many possible points of failure which could make an autorotation a necessary requirement. The power to weight ratio remains a problem, which up til now had been dismissed by the claim that the problem would go away with bigger craft... well here is a bigger ceraft, and the payload and duration are still not commercially viable. The theory that the inherent design of the multicopter makes it more stable than conventional helicopters unless they are fitted with additional stabilisation devices, is just another way of saying that the multicopter is unflyable without the use of electronic stabilisation. In addition, the "complication" of adding stabilisation to a convential helicopter is overstated.

I am not knocking multicopters, and I find them very interesting, but would just like their fans (pun intended) to ease off the evangelism pedal a bit
Tonystott is online now Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Dec 06, 2009, 06:34 PM
I fly low, I'm in high demand
Smithtown, NY
Joined Jul 2003
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonystott View Post
But the lack of the ability to autorotate,........... debatable "easier to fly" claim ...................... multi-copters would be in wide use by professionals if they really did offer compelling advantages. ...
I am not a helicopter guy, but I don't believe autorotation is possible at low altitudes. Helicopters are extremely more involved from a mechanical standpoint (many more chances of a "failure" from complicate linkages and gears) whereas the multicopter is extremely simplistic, mechanically. Helicopters are subject to vibration if not tuned and balanced perfectly. Vibration in a multicopter is not as difficult to keep under control. I personally think the "pros" are not using them now, because it is a relatively new technology. (Considering R/C helicopters have been around since the early 70's.) I am also amazed at the popularity for aerial use of multicopters ...... there is obviously quite a following considering the quadcopter thread, the most popular thread in this group, has close to 10,000 posts with over 500,000 views. Compare that to the next nearest thread, the AP Solution by power, with 1500 posts and just over 100,000 views. I would say that speaks volumes.

John
birdman11787 is offline Find More Posts by birdman11787