HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Global warming, what is it to you? (You can vote on more than one)
Real threat? 6 10.53%
Real farce? 38 66.67%
Real mystery? 17 29.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 04, 2009, 11:39 PM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Poll
Global warming.... I had to do it. (sigh)

Lets see the numbers here.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Dec 04, 2009, 11:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Hi Bill , I voted real mystery because im not a scientist and so I have to trust them to tell me the truth . But im not 100% convinced they are telling me the truth , Thus the mystery vote . Tell ya what , I sure hope global warming isnt real , I dont need a tan that bad
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 05, 2009, 12:58 AM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
In light of recent revelations I voted farce, but am open to being proved wrong.
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Dec 05, 2009, 01:26 AM
Targeted and... FIRING !
United States, MI, Eastpointe
Joined Aug 2007
670 Posts
Real mystery. At this point we know nothing whatsoever about it for sure. The only valid approach is to can all the suspect work and data (which is everything) and start fresh. If we're going to base any future decision making on it, lets try to do the work honestly this time.

You do NOT start with a conclusion and then develop a case around supporting it. The correct approach is to begin with raw data, collate and correlate it, then go where what it leads you.

BTW we also need to start an effort to recover all the public funds that were wasted from the dishonest individuals that wasted it cooking up propoganda. Ask Kwame Kilpatrick about how much fun it is to pay back $1 million you screwed the public out of, after you're tossed off the public gravy train !
D B Cooper is offline Find More Posts by D B Cooper
Old Dec 05, 2009, 01:48 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,537 Posts
According to my personal experience, winter has been 4-6 weeks late for the last 5-8 years. I have no idea what is causing it or if anything can be done about it. I only know that I absolutely hate the overcast skies and continuous rain - indoor helicopters have only a limited amusement value.
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Dec 05, 2009, 01:58 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
For me and my personal observation there are far less deposits of snow and cold weather here.
Mostly due to the removal of old growth forests.
But over all I say that climate warming and cooling is pretty much cyclic and beyond human control.
In the span of life on planet earth.

There are alarmists a plenty concerning HCGW but most are for profit.
The email exposure/scam is revelation enough IMHO..
Old Dec 05, 2009, 08:26 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,802 Posts
A tricky one.

But I find it hard to believe that just one small group of climate researchers at the East Anglia CRU could fool that many people through out the world.

Are we saying that all the other researcher in all the other countries took the information at face value and never queried it ?.

Surely there are two questions really regarding GW.

1. Is it happening ? (no matter what is causing it).

2. If yes, is it being made worse by man made gases ?

I still do not have a real clue.

But I do feel the 'No' followers are saying that, not based on scientific judgment, but on 'how much will it cost me if I accept it'.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Dec 05, 2009, 11:12 AM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
I voted farce as I do not believe that it is caused by man. Global warming and cooling are a natural thing as evidenced by history. Passing laws is not going to change this. Passing laws about it are about as futile as passing a law against the tides and then standing at the waters edge at low tide and screaming when you get wet as the tide comes in.
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Old Dec 05, 2009, 11:15 AM
Pa., USA
Joined Jan 2006
700 Posts
I voted mystery.
The reason why is simple. Yes, there was global warming. And for the last 10 or 11 years there has been global cooling.
Back in the 70's there was global cooling also. That was when James Hansen of NASA, declared that an ice age was coming...........the story made newsweek magazine.
To date, the only thing that has been proven...........is that mother nature is in control.
Not us.

Don
don_87 is offline Find More Posts by don_87
Old Dec 05, 2009, 11:37 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,993 Posts
I voted farce because of the way the data has been diddled, but it is technically a mystical farce or a farcical mystery.

After we've been keeping standardized records for a few millions years, we might get a partial grip on the situation. But not if it's the Al Gore Institute!
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Dec 05, 2009, 01:05 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,802 Posts
So you're saying that man cannot possibly influence the global temperature, and that 'greenhouse gases' are a myth ?

Could someone point to a believable non-biased site that agrees ?

Edit - By 'you're saying', I mean those who don't believe man can cause GW.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Dec 05, 2009, 01:17 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
So you're saying that man cannot possibly influence the global temperature, and that 'greenhouse gases' are a myth ?

Could someone point to a believable non-biased site that agrees ?

Edit - By 'you're saying', I mean those who don't believe man can cause GW.
Why speculate, lets wait on accurate verifiable data.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Dec 05, 2009, 01:33 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
The real irony is that if the pro warming folks had simply been open and honest with their data and honored FOIA requests this would probably have long been settled.
That is of course unless the whole thing is a scam.
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Dec 05, 2009, 01:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira View Post
The real irony is that if the pro warming folks had simply been open and honest with their data and honored FOIA requests this would probably have long been settled.
That is of course unless the whole thing is a scam.
Totally agree, anytime you have to "cook" the books.... somethings fishy with the bigger picture.
Old Dec 05, 2009, 02:11 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
I call farce just because humans can adapt to almost any conditions, and a warmer climate should be one of them. We have abandoned cities all over the southwest from peoples who ran into drought or hostiles and moved on.

My latest thought: The $787 BILLION Stimulus Bill? Should have been used on building 100 nuclear power plants, knocking down our evil C02 production while building a real future for the country, instead of fulfilling the Democrat wish list of goodies.
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48