HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2009, 09:25 PM
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
Question
Control surfaces

OKAY - so I decided to go ahead and put together these cheap planes i bought - gonna mess around with them before i get into my PZ T-28 since i have them at home. Put them both together and everything looks and works well BUT it seems to me like the elevator doesn't move as much as I thought it would - does it need to or no one of the planes is the F4U Corsair and the other is the AT-6 Texan - all the other surfaces move really well except for the elevator - it may give me 1/4" of visibility when looking parallel to the elevator wing when I pull my ctrl stick down
SMCLEODVT is offline Find More Posts by SMCLEODVT
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2009, 10:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCLEODVT View Post
OKAY - so I decided to go ahead and put together these cheap planes i bought - gonna mess around with them before i get into my PZ T-28 since i have them at home. Put them both together and everything looks and works well BUT it seems to me like the elevator doesn't move as much as I thought it would - does it need to or no one of the planes is the F4U Corsair and the other is the AT-6 Texan - all the other surfaces move really well except for the elevator - it may give me 1/4" of visibility when looking parallel to the elevator wing when I pull my ctrl stick down
Put the control rod closer to the bottom hole in the control horn for the elevator.... and in a farther away hole in the servo arm itself.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 04, 2009, 10:23 PM
Watch out for that TREE!
Houston, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
1,458 Posts
Don't just eyeball the throws. Measure them and make sure they are set up per the instructions.

John
GD5015 is offline Find More Posts by GD5015
Old Dec 04, 2009, 10:24 PM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined May 2006
507 Posts
For normal flying it really doesn't take much throw at all.
That was one of things that surprised me as well years ago when I started.
Throws are a personal type thing that you kind of have to determine on your own.
Some people like a plane that reacts instantly with very little stick input while others would find that setup difficult to fly without the plane being "twitchy".
Just be careful increasing elevator throw as some planes will snap rather quickly with large amounts of elevator throw.

Happy Flying,

Tim
Merlin1205 is offline Find More Posts by Merlin1205
Old Dec 04, 2009, 10:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
And watch out for the instruction manual being wrong about the throws. I distinctly remember a certain plane that called for 1 9/16" of aileron travel (in each direction) that I set up exactly as called for.

Needless to say, it was a most horrifying maiden...

Chuck
Old Dec 04, 2009, 10:35 PM
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
thanks all - i didnt move the ctrl rod on the servo but i did put it in the bottom hole on the ctrl horn on the elevator and that seemed to work well - guess ill know when i get it in the air...these are the cheap airplanes anyways but i'd definately like to learn off of them
Old Dec 04, 2009, 11:46 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Too much elevator throw on a warbird usually causes a nasty stall... you probably need a lot less than you think. On my 3D planes, I usually set them up with 45 degrees on the elevator, but on other planes, 20 degrees is usually more than enough.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 05, 2009, 01:59 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GD5015 View Post
Don't just eyeball the throws. Measure them and make sure they are set up per the instructions.

John
And why not? Eyeballing control throws has never failed me!
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Dec 05, 2009, 07:54 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
And why not? Eyeballing control throws has never failed me!
Let me get this straight. We are in the Beginner forum, and you're telling a beginner to RC flying to just eyeball the throws???
Old Dec 05, 2009, 07:58 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
SMCLEODVT,

Here's a link to a small one page instructional sheet I wrote for beginners that will show you how to measure for all the control surface throws on your plane. Read it, it's easy. If you have questions, feel free to ask away.

How to Measure for Control Surface Throws

Chuck
Old Dec 05, 2009, 08:36 AM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Aug 2009
172 Posts
Thanks for the info, Chuck. I saved your instructions in my "training folder." I was setting up control throws last week and scratching my head. Measure from where? 3/8"", total or only in one direction? Now I know.
fred_n is offline Find More Posts by fred_n
Old Dec 05, 2009, 08:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_n View Post
Thanks for the info, Chuck. I saved your instructions in my "training folder." I was setting up control throws last week and scratching my head. Measure from where? 3/8"", total or only in one direction? Now I know.
Hi Fred,

You have one too, huh? I have my own folder of "Important stuff to know" that I save when one of my own mentors teaches me something new.

You might want to check out my Blog Page. There's 2 pages of info there that you may or may not find helpful. It's a sort of mish mash of projects, tutorials, builds, etc... Check it out.

Ravings of a lunatic

Chuck
Old Dec 05, 2009, 09:14 AM
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
i have also been saving everything that i have brought up or found interesting - thanks for all the info
Old Dec 05, 2009, 09:15 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCLEODVT View Post
i have also been saving everything that i have brought up or found interesting - thanks for all the info
You're very welcome!