HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2009, 05:45 PM
This is fun!
Winchester, MA
Joined Jan 2007
1,350 Posts
Discussion
2.4 GHz Hitec Optic 6 + Optima Receivers

I am in the process of transitioning to 2.4 GHz. I have been using a 72 MHz Hitec Optic 6 with a Spectra module for the past 3 years and I am very happy with it. Having several planes, some will continue to fly on 72 MHz. However I want to move my newer planes to 2.4 GHz. So here are my questions:

1. What has the experience been with the 2.4 GHz Optic 6 radio with the Optima receivers?

2. Can the 2.4 GHZ Optic 6 work with other receivers? If yes, which ones?

3. What is the max range between the 2.4 GHz Optic 6 radio and the Optima receiver?

4. Are the Optima receivers good for high altitude thermal gliding?

Cheers,
Tom
BosTom is offline Find More Posts by BosTom
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2009, 06:32 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosTom View Post
I am in the process of transitioning to 2.4 GHz. I have been using a 72 MHz Hitec Optic 6 with a Spectra module for the past 3 years and I am very happy with it. Having several planes, some will continue to fly on 72 MHz. However I want to move my newer planes to 2.4 GHz. So here are my questions:
1. What has the experience been with the 2.4 GHz Optic 6 radio with the Optima receivers?
2. Can the 2.4 GHZ Optic 6 work with other receivers? If yes, which ones?
3. What is the max range between the 2.4 GHz Optic 6 radio and the Optima receiver?
4. Are the Optima receivers good for high altitude thermal gliding?
Cheers, Tom
1. Tested for some time pre-release - nothing untoward noticed.
2. Yes, currently the Optima 6,7 & 9 channel RX with a minima (smaller) to be released in due course.
Otherwise 2.4GHz is proprietary and cannot be interchanged between brands - except where same item rebadged.
3. Futher than you can see. Refer range testng and other reports from Aurora users (same Spectra Pro Module with same antenna = same range)
4. Yes, the telemetry is a great feature, with range and ease of installing the BODA antenna detailed.
Optima RX - Installation RX, BODA Antenna & Range Test Results.

see also:
Aurora A9 (Hitec) - Mixes, Setups, Tips, Undocumented Features -- includes FAQ re Spectra Pro Module and Optima receivers.

Further information under
"2.4 GHz RC Systems"
at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Regards
Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Dec 04, 2009, 08:19 PM
This is fun!
Winchester, MA
Joined Jan 2007
1,350 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will check out those links.
Tom
Old Dec 05, 2009, 07:16 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,538 Posts
Just to add something, the Optic 6 can also use the Spektrum DM8 2.4 module for Futaba. I have this as well as the Hitec 2.4 module so I can swap out the module and do 72mhz, Spektrum or Hitec 2.4.

Rick
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Dec 05, 2009, 12:46 PM
This is fun!
Winchester, MA
Joined Jan 2007
1,350 Posts
Rick - great info indeed.

I was wondering if the Hitec 2.4 could be used with the bind-and-fly planes and helis that are coming into the market. It turns out that these aircraft only support DSM2. So using the Spektrum DM8 2.4 module should take care of this issue. this is great.

Tom