SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2009, 02:27 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
Discussion
Lens protection?

Well I got a used canon sd1000 yesterday in the mail for ap. It has a busted screen but only cost me 25 bux. It functions just as good as my other sd1000 except for the screen problem. Anyways, the weather is currently keeping me grounded so I am stuck looking at your ap rigs. I was wondering if anyone has made any type of "roll cage" for you lens/zoom of your camera. I would think if a plane had a rough landing the lens would be the first thing to get damaged and possibly the zoom mechanism. Has anyone made some type of a "lens cage" or would you rather not, as it could deter future resale value?
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2009, 04:20 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,399 Posts
I use a tail piece for a sink. PVC! It fits right around your lens and you can hot glue it on. Paint it black. Cut it to the length you want, just a little past the lens.
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Dec 04, 2009, 05:22 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,021 Posts
The physical support surround of the lens will do little to protect the lens retraction mechanism.
Even supported, the lens is still subjected to jarring within the internal lens extension and retraction.
I have had a Minolta G600 lock up after a internal gear failure after a hard landing. Quote from the repair guy was $320f or the part+ labour for a camera I had originally paid $120 for on Ebay.

That's one of the risks associated with the hoisting of a camera into the atmosphere

John
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Old Dec 04, 2009, 05:41 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,473 Posts
What about protecting the lense from dirt or oil, e.g. on gassers. Won't a UV filter degrade the optical quality? In astronomy optics are sometimes protected by something called "Baader TurboFilm". Anyone tried it for protecting AP/AV optical gear?

http://www.alpineastro.com/optical_a....htm#TurboFilm

Miha
~>Miha<~ is offline Find More Posts by ~>Miha<~
Old Dec 04, 2009, 05:51 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,021 Posts
The best way to protect your camera from dirt and oil is to go electric.
UV filters are a long time well proven component of photography and do not deteriorate image quality to any measurable extent.
John
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Old Dec 04, 2009, 06:12 PM
North London ENGLAND
Joined Dec 2006
1,667 Posts
My several AP and FPV planes are "Gassers" ( or Glowers") and they are pushers.Cameras in the front, exhaust rubbish out the back, nil on the airplane, the only thing that gets dirty is the prop. Thats how the big boys do it! Some examples herewith.
macboffin is offline Find More Posts by macboffin
Old Dec 04, 2009, 11:25 PM
"vini, vidi, velcro"
Floating around
Joined Dec 2009
2 Posts
lens protector-filter mount

I use the auxiliary lens mount adapter on my Canon G10.
Their lenses are screw on so it's possible to just screw a filter on the end instead of the lens. I then add a lens shade to the filter.
RR refugee is offline Find More Posts by RR refugee
Old Dec 05, 2009, 10:53 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,399 Posts
John is right, I had a hard landing with one camera and the camera wasn't touched in any way, yet the lens mechanism was broke.
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Dec 05, 2009, 12:49 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,920 Posts
My mount for my Nikon 3700 /
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Dec 05, 2009, 10:31 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,906 Posts
I am not a "camera expert" and currently not doing much AP, but I am still hooked on AP. (No, I didn't do a Google search either. )

But I have noticed some cameras that don't have a retractable lens. That would seem to be a wonderful durability feature for AP.

What are we giving up with that fixed lens?

R/E
rud-elev is offline Find More Posts by rud-elev
Old Dec 05, 2009, 11:08 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rud-elev View Post
I am not a "camera expert" and currently not doing much AP, but I am still hooked on AP. (No, I didn't do a Google search either. )

But I have noticed some cameras that don't have a retractable lens. That would seem to be a wonderful durability feature for AP.

What are we giving up with that fixed lens?

R/E
Ya the retracts are the biggest problem. Ok for regular use, but not great for durability. Most broken cameras on ebay are camera that people sat on or dropped on the lens. This is what I was thinking of doing. It would look like a halo or head gear suspended above the lens. I was thinking cf, but dont know hot to get a circular piece like that.

rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Dec 07, 2009, 07:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
The easiest solution is a piece of pvc pipe. It helps protect the lense and also shades it to cut down on lense flair.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 07, 2009, 11:17 AM
American MoonMan
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
You might check out this old thread of mine. It relates to my Plasma II camera mount. Posts 24 and 29 have photos of the mount with the lens protector and UV filter mount installed. It worked quite well to protect the extendable lens assembly of the various Pentax Optio cameras it was originally designed for. As the basic layout and some detail shots are in the first part of the thread, you could easily build a similar design that would work for your camera as well. The lens protector was built from a model rocket body tube and used a lens ring adaptor to fit the UV lens. Be aware though that while this type of installation will help protect your camera from damage from dust, dew, and debri to a certain extent, it will NOT keep your camera from being damaged in an actual crash. The "G" forces and physical impact are virtually impossible to protect from within the weight parameters we typically fly within. Good luck with your project. Below is the link to the original thread, a photo of the mount, and the PDF file of the parts....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=plasma+ii
Joe Bennett is offline Find More Posts by Joe Bennett
Old Dec 07, 2009, 11:29 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,906 Posts
Several good suggestions have been made for dirt/dust/sand protection for the lens.

That was probably the original posters concern.

However, there is the issue of potential mechanical lens damage on a "hard landing" which has also been raised.

One solution is to be able to power down the camera before landing which retracts the lens and removes the "fulcrum effect" on the lens mechanism when it is extended. I have seen a second servo used to power off the camera and I believe that one of the electronic chip controls can also turn the power off.

The other would be a fixed lens camera.

R/E
rud-elev is offline Find More Posts by rud-elev
Old Dec 07, 2009, 03:23 PM
Pro AP'er
Latvia
Joined Nov 2008
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rud-elev View Post
Several good suggestions have been made for dirt/dust/sand protection for the lens.

That was probably the original posters concern.

However, there is the issue of potential mechanical lens damage on a "hard landing" which has also been raised.

One solution is to be able to power down the camera before landing which retracts the lens and removes the "fulcrum effect" on the lens mechanism when it is extended. I have seen a second servo used to power off the camera and I believe that one of the electronic chip controls can also turn the power off.

The other would be a fixed lens camera.

R/E
I also think it would be the best solution.
APtaker is offline Find More Posts by APtaker