SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:44 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,019 Posts
I agree... I don't think this is going to affect it in a noticeable way at all. I would just fly it
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:32 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,922 Posts
just rip up the skys with it its going to be just fine you won't notice a thing whether you do it or not on this bird.

However If you ever do have the urge, just take a nice sharp x-acto knife and slice down the center of the leading edges just enough to pull the monocote away, then using the knife or a dremmel tool or a piece of rough sand paper, shave off the corners, then hit it with a fine piece of sand paper to your preference, fold the monocote back over the center and re heat it with an iron and cut away the excess and then finish heating it. the whole process might and I say might take you 15 - 20 minutes.

But I really wouldn't worry about it unless you were in some sort of pattern contest depending on time results as well.
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
Finished my Tweplica!

All of the sudden, I was done. With a final turn of the screw, the canopy was attached. I took a step back and considered what I had to do next and... nothing! (To be fair, I do still need to set the dual rates and expo on my transmitter. I also decided to recover the cockpit floor and back rest with black Monokote... the white looked too plain.)

So here she is, another Tweplica to join the fleet!

I live in Michigan, so she'll be collecting dust for a couple more months before I get a chance to maiden her, but I'll take video and post it for sure. I plan on having some on-board video for that flight, too...

Here's a link to the Imgur album (high res images are too big to upload)
Billytown is offline Find More Posts by Billytown
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:06 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,922 Posts
Billytown congrats on a superb job she looks sweet and I am very excited to see the maiden and thanks so much for posting your progress and build as you went along it was very cool to see it all come together, If I could offer a piece of advice it would be to turn your muffler up or directly down, so the exhaust blows over the wing or under it but you have it pointing directly at it, no big deal except for clean up time lol and saturating the wing next to the saddle directly will eventually lead to some fuel soaked wood inside the fuse if its able to leak in slightly over time. Or perhaps a muffler deflector tube yo put on the end of the muffler. Like I said no big deal and it looks great that way no matter what fuel is going to get on the wing anyway but aiming it away from it will greatly reduce the amount. But spectacular job and were eagerly awaiting the maiden. Sweet job !!!!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:12 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,019 Posts
Awesome and inspiring!
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:16 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billytown View Post
All of the sudden, I was done. With a final turn of the screw, the canopy was attached. I took a step back and considered what I had to do next and... nothing! (To be fair, I do still need to set the dual rates and expo on my transmitter. I also decided to recover the cockpit floor and back rest with black Monokote... the white looked too plain.)

So here she is, another Tweplica to join the fleet!

I live in Michigan, so she'll be collecting dust for a couple more months before I get a chance to maiden her, but I'll take video and post it for sure. I plan on having some on-board video for that flight, too...

Here's a link to the Imgur album (high res images are too big to upload)
Very nice. Been watching your build over on reddit. Where about in MI you from? Over in Kalamazoo myself.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:40 PM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
If I could offer a piece of advice it would be to turn your muffler up or directly down, so the exhaust blows over the wing or under it
Thank you for noticing this! I didn't think of that at all... It's a simply fix; I'll point it down.

Waldo, I have to thank you for virtually holding my hand throughout this build. What you've put together here is unparalleled by anything else I've found on the internet. Couldn't have done it without you! Thanks for the compliments and advice!

I'm estimating an April maiden. I'll use the first warm-enough-to-fly days in March and early April to work out the rust, then take her up. I'm not gonna lie, though, it's got me a little anxious, all the hours of work put into this plane. I saw a video of a guy crashing his Tweplica 60 into a treeline and ripping it to shreds and I felt SO BAD for him, but he seemed somewhat unperturbed (it was pilot error, after all). Having never had a major crash before (but a good number of close calls and dead sticks), I don't know how you guys just seem to brush off major crashes. Although, now that I think of it... if it's not a total re-kit crash, you know how to fix whatever damage is done!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:42 PM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d astronaut View Post
Very nice. Been watching your build over on reddit. Where about in MI you from? Over in Kalamazoo myself.
I live in Williamston, a fairly small town just a few miles east of the East Lansing/Okemos area. Spent my fair share of time in K-Zoo, though! My wife went to Western. Hey is Bilbo's pizza still open out there? Many fond memories!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:50 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,922 Posts
Billytown thanks for the kind words and I owe my inspiration all to the Twistaholics as I knew they were watching so I tried not to overlook anything in fear of a twiastaholic bashing lol they had my back completely and it was a pleasure to do the build so we could keep this plane around a long time as they discontinued it which started the whole thing with Nomatta drawing up the plans for us all to have and then as soon as we started the build they recontinued it with the cream colored Version 2 lol
That was my good cuz TinmanTim who hit the trees and we've crashed zillions of times you just have to laugh it off and reglue it back togethrr, no biggy at all and you hit the nail right on the head with once you know how to build them repairing them is much faster and easier as you said you already know how it goes together. Even completely rekitted planes can be brought back to life with little effort, its more about the time you have and the desire than anything else.
Again a fantastic job you did and April can't come fast enough.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:58 AM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
HI

Thanks for the plans and build instructions for the Tweplica 40 , can you please tell me if I want to build a 60 size version do the plans just need to be blown up with a wingspan of 55 inches.

Regards

Dave from the UK
kepner is offline Find More Posts by kepner
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:32 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,922 Posts
Hello and welcome Kepner yes you can just blow up the plans to the 60 sized and everything is built to the instructions here, I think the 150 size you may want to think about using a wing tube type construction though, someone might chime in about that. The 40 and 60 sized version fly fantastic I'm sure the 150 flys equally as well, I just haven't personally experienced that one yet. We would love it if you posted your build progress here and any help or questions are openly welcome.
Good luck and keep us posted. So to answer your question I guess it depends on what you have that you plan on using, both the 40 and the 60 are great choices I would either go with a 60 sized engine on the 40 size and a 90 sized engine on the 60 sized for the full potential of fun, but either plane will fly beatiful if you use an engine equal to the size of the plane.
Last edited by Waldopepperaxe; Feb 09, 2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:54 AM
United States, MI, Maybee
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
The 150 size only had a 62" wingspan so it was not a big plane. Now, if we did a Giant Tweplica? 80" wing span? That would be the Monster Tweplica!
AJsToyz is offline Find More Posts by AJsToyz
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:47 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,922 Posts
Ok let's see that happen lol
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:02 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...8&d=1341106619

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...7&d=1341106619

The plans have been redrawn to a 58" version and are posted on page 51 of this thread. You have the option of tiled or full sized.

Hope this helps;

Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:19 PM
United States, MI, Maybee
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Ok let's see that happen lol
Are you kidding!? LOL

I have two small issues....

1. It would not fit in my car!
2. I have to many things on my bench!

That's including the 58" plans I printed out a while back.
AJsToyz is offline Find More Posts by AJsToyz