SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:14 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,901 Posts
Man that lools fantastic !!! Very nice, and yeah monocote has been bugging me since they changed their formula it works alright but a huge pain in the butt to get it perfect it use to work with ease my new favorite covering is coverite its more of a fabric covering but goes on perfect, I use ultracote now where i can instead of monocote but I thin ultracote isn't as strong and you have to use a lower heat setting as it over shrinks. You'll find your favorite type as you try different things like anything people like what works best for them.
Great job and yes the finish line is in sight
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:21 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,996 Posts
I think it looks great and I would have no trouble at all seeing it for orientation. I like ultracote as well but waldo is right... you have to use a really low heat setting. It shrinks at an unmanageable rate when the heat is higher. Reading on hangar 9's website about it you find that they use very low heat to activate the adhesive and then turn up the heat afterward to shrink the areas that need tightening up.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:21 AM
Joined Apr 2012
24 Posts
hello all,

i want to make this model in 58 inch wing span from coro ( expected AUW 2500-2700 gms ) and wants to put OS .46 glow engine , pl suggest , that power setup is ok ?

Regards
Mohan
Mohan Sharma is offline Find More Posts by Mohan Sharma
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:56 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
I think you may want a larger engine for that size.
The 48 incher is the 40 size.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:34 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,996 Posts
I could be completely wrong... but I think he is hoping to be able to build it lighter using coroplast. Is that what you meant by coro?
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:21 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
It'll be interesting to see for sure.
One thing in mind is the drag induced by that thick blunt wing.
If you do please post the build.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:18 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,901 Posts
Howdy Mohan and it all depends on what your looking to do with the plane, 3D, fun fly etc... But as mentioned most of us are using a 61 on the 48" wing and that's the 40 sized version a 91 has been used on the 60 sized versions but if you think it will be light enough to do what you want with the 46 by all means give her a try if anything the people involved with this bird have tried just about everything under the sun with this bird so you have all the help you could ever imagine here, I think you'd be the very first that we have ever heard of to try it with coroplast, so we would really love to see your progress. Check out the thread "Twistaholics" and the "Twistaholics Mods page" also you'll love the group and we are always looking for a new twist on the twist good luck
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:30 AM
Joined Apr 2012
24 Posts
Thanks to all for support and guidance.
Yes , I want to build this model from COROPLAST ( Plastic flute Sheet) , expecting AUW 2500 gms maximum for 58 inch wing span.
I can build the sharp leading edge of wing from Coro , pl suggest , which will be better blunt curved or sharp?
For 48 Inch , expected AUW is 1500- 2000 gms.
Since I have only OS .46 glow engine and expecting all fun which this model can perform , wants to make this model for 3D fun , so pl suggest the wing span for OS .46 Glow Engine.
Regards
Mohan
Mohan Sharma is offline Find More Posts by Mohan Sharma
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:48 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,996 Posts
The stock plane will hover with that motor... barely. If yours comes in significantly lighter then it shouldn't be too big of a problem.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:25 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
Go with the 48 inch and enjoy.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:05 PM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
Build update

Installed the landing gear and tail wheel. Installed the elevator, rudder, and throttle servos. Mounted the engine and gas tank. Throttle control linkage installation was a huge pain. Not a lot of space to work with between the firewall and the throttle on the Saito .72. Couldn't use a clevis -- not enough clearance -- so I did a z bend using some music wire.

I'm going to fire her up when the weather clears just to hear it run. All that's left:

Install aileron servos and linkages
Glue in aileron hinges
Build belly pan
Screw in pop hatch
Screw in canopy
Program radio

Billytown is offline Find More Posts by Billytown
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:43 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
Billy your making me soooo jealous.
I need to get my twist finished
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:30 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,901 Posts
Mohan I'd say go 48" too you will love the extra power you'll have

Billy Man you did a fantastic job I can't wait to see the maiden Hopefully you'll be able to post it here for us all to enjoy.
The Saito 72 is going to be sick on this bird. Loved my OS70 4 stroke on mine as well as the 61 2 stroke
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:51 PM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
I fired the motor up this afternoon (in the freezing cold) to check the setup of the gas tank and throttle control and what not... So. Much. Power. Sounds great, too! I bet it'll fly over 20 minutes on that 10oz tank.

I did screw up something, though. I forgot to round off the leading edges of the fin and stabilizer/elevator. Will this have a noticeable effect on performance or handling? Seems like a little thing... but I've been in this hobby long enough to know a little thing can make a big difference.

Thoughts? Should I fix it? If so, what would be the best way now that those surfaces are epoxied? Or just forget about it?
Billytown is offline Find More Posts by Billytown
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:37 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
I think it'll be fine.