to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:30 AM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Your fault Chuck, you taught me!
I taught you how to fly. You learned how to crash all by yourself.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Last edited by balsabuster2004; Dec 18, 2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:54 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,201 Posts
crashing is the one skill everyone can do
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
If I can do this, there's a better-than-good chance that you can too, whoever you are.

This is the first time I've ever attempted anything of this caliber. I only started flying a couple of years ago, and most of that time was spent flying little park flyers. Only got into big fuel models four months ago! Edit: I've never even made a repair to a big model -- just minor gluing on small foamies.

Sure, I played with Legos as a kid, and I've dabbled in digital 3D modeling over the years as a hobby. I've also done a fair amount of construction projects, so in terms of ethos, I have what could be considered the average male's experience with spatial relations and basic mechanical inclinations.

I'll tell you what, though... without Waldo's videos and instructions, there's NO WAY I would have attempted this. But I am glad I did. It's been seriously fun! A lot of unexpected challenges have arisen. (Prepare the landing gear plate with mounting hardware BEFORE installing it -- that was a serious pain in my particular situation as I had to carve away the reinforcing hardwood stock at the bottom of the gas tank floor to make room for the 1/4 - 20 blind nuts. Also, I am not doing the triangular leading edge on the wing, so experimenting with bending balsa sheet was a little frustrating. But I learned a lot, and it's all in working order!)

Go for it!
Billytown is offline Find More Posts by Billytown
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:41 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,049 Posts
Billy well your doing a fine job and I was wondering who was going to be the first to go with the warping the sheeting all around the wing besides Nomatta I think he was the one who did it that way originally, during this build I had 2 agendas as I was building my fuse to also adapt to the Triplane version of this plane so I needed my wing to match the fit of how I built the other 3 wings, all in all I agree this plane was a real fun build.
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:45 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billytown View Post
If I can do this, there's a better-than-good chance that you can too, whoever you are.

This is the first time I've ever attempted anything of this caliber. I only started flying a couple of years ago, and most of that time was spent flying little park flyers. Only got into big fuel models four months ago! Edit: I've never even made a repair to a big model -- just minor gluing on small foamies.

Sure, I played with Legos as a kid, and I've dabbled in digital 3D modeling over the years as a hobby. I've also done a fair amount of construction projects, so in terms of ethos, I have what could be considered the average male's experience with spatial relations and basic mechanical inclinations.

I'll tell you what, though... without Waldo's videos and instructions, there's NO WAY I would have attempted this. But I am glad I did. It's been seriously fun! A lot of unexpected challenges have arisen. (Prepare the landing gear plate with mounting hardware BEFORE installing it -- that was a serious pain in my particular situation as I had to carve away the reinforcing hardwood stock at the bottom of the gas tank floor to make room for the 1/4 - 20 blind nuts. Also, I am not doing the triangular leading edge on the wing, so experimenting with bending balsa sheet was a little frustrating. But I learned a lot, and it's all in working order!)

Go for it!
Billy it's so great to have you.
Welcome
I'm excited about your build and can't wait to hear your maiden. This plane is not a normal plane and is probally the very best flyer in the wind I've flown.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:21 PM
The Wind Is Your Friend
USA, NY, Troy
Joined Jul 2010
112 Posts
Nice job Billy! I have to agree, I wouldn't be as far as I am in this build without Waldo's videos. Thanks Waldo for making the time and effort in showing us how easy it really is to build with a little time and effort. Also, a big thanks to Nomatta. Without those drawings none of this would be possible.
I'm looking forward to finishing my build and getting her ready for opening day next year!!
EBurkart3rd is offline Find More Posts by EBurkart3rd
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
Wing sheeting...

Ok, here's a look at the wing so far. I sheeted the leading edge by forming the sheets using a 50/50 mix of cloudy ammonia and water sprayed on the outer face. I used the oh so very sophisticated forming method of TAPE IT ALL DOWN AND STUFF (patent pending) while it took shape. Then I just glued it down and sheeted along on my merry way... The bottom is sheeted, and the servo mounts and rails are all installed, holes cut. I only have a throttle servo for now as a place holder. Fits nice and snug.

Edit: Spy my Ohio Model Products Edge 540 profile is lurking in the shadows near the water heater, jealous and brooding, sourly anticipating the birth of her sister, the sibling for whom her attention will be competing...

Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:05 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,201 Posts
looking great
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:32 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,049 Posts
Billy sweet job on the warping looking awesome!!!

Thanks Ernie I knew you had it in you though you have that determination gene lol
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:40 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
I taught you how to fly. You learned how to crash all by yourself.
You're a funny guy Chuck! Merry Christmas my friend!

Great progress Billy! That looks like a strong wing!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
Build update

My first attempt at covering anything, much less an entire plane, has been a success! Sure, there were moments... the reason I went with the black leading edge on the left wing (and subsequent asymmetrical top side color scheme with the alternate black aileron on the right wing) is because I didn't seat the Monokote well, and there were tons of immortal wrinkles. After a careful, surgical removal of the leading edge, I improvised for a what I think is a cool, aggressive look.

The turtle deck is white because, for whatever reason, the yellow Monokote I got just WOULD NOT SHRINK enough. Man, that was frustrating! I tried three times with yellow before switching to white which had been shrinking well for me on other pieces. (Not shown: the entire bottom side of the plane is white except for the ailerons, which are both black on the bottom.)

Ordered the rx and servos today! I see the finish line...

Edit: It's not completely covered. I still need to cover the top and inside the cockpit. But I've been at it all day and needed to take a break.

Last edited by Billytown; Dec 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:20 AM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,616 Posts
Looks like it's comming together very well. You seem to have developed the necessary skill set. Keep it up.
NoMatta is online now Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:46 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
It looks really kwel.
The only thing I see is orientation.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
It looks really kwel.
The only thing I see is orientation.
I've never had any problems keeping orientation except at dusk flying low along a treeline, but who hasn't then? Maybe I misread, but do you mean that orientation will be more difficult with this color scheme or easier? My thought was that it would be really easy with this layout.