SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:55 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,599 Posts
I built the original Tweplica with two piece wing and tube and don't recommend it until you get into the 6 foot and longer spans. It's a serious PITA to set up and weighs more on top of it all. Just my .02
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:00 AM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
NoMatta your input is greatly appreciated and valued. I guess I'll be honest with you in saying I don't quite understand. I thought it was kind of strange as the Twist 40 and 150 both utilize the 1 piece wing, however, the 480 size utilizes the wing tube. My line of thinking was that using a wing tube may just open up the fuselage a bit more and give me a clean shot straight through as does on the bigger birds. In respect of your advice I will re-visit the idea and consider the possibility of going back to the original set-up.

Thank you;

Greg
Greg Knipp is online now Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:18 AM
United States, MI, Maybee
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Some of the sizes I will use are just what I have already. I will end up buying a some wood just don't know how much.
AJsToyz is offline Find More Posts by AJsToyz
Last edited by AJsToyz; Sep 06, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:55 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,599 Posts
That was my orignal theory too. More fuse strength, access to the electronics through a hatch, all that, but on my first "arrival" (reversed ailerons ) the fuse still broke in the same spot, just behind the wing.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Great to see activity here and plans for the bigger the builds in progress please feel free to post the pics as you go. I'd love to see them.

AJ I do believe 1/4 inch would be plenty for the tail feathers but you might want to check out how the CG is going to be after you strap the 20CC on there as you do want this bird a little on the tail heavy side once your familiar with it. so 3/8 might just be the way to go unless your trying to keep the weight down considerably. but I think 1/4 will keep you very happy all together.

Greg Split elevators isn't a bad Idea at all

JSChoen very cool also, I think you may want to go with a Balsa Ply frame for the fuse or at least Ply sticks for the doublers I built the 40 sized with all balsa to keep weight down and it held up just fine, I used birch ply for the Firewall, formers, wing hold down plate and landing gear mount but ply construction for the frame on a 30cc I think is in order here. I'm not sure you need to as I only built the small version so maybe someone who has owned a 60 or 150 might have better advice here.
I do want to say, Thank you very much for sharing these plans! I wish more plans were out there for other planes.

I was thinking of going light plywood for the fuselage, or do you think reinforced balsa would be fine??

Andy
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:52 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post
That was my orignal theory too. More fuse strength, access to the electronics through a hatch, all that, but on my first "arrival" (reversed ailerons ) the fuse still broke in the same spot, just behind the wing.
Lol!! Yep, I saw it all!! Almost made it too!! As I recall, you flew her all the way around and lost her on the approach!! Broke her back like any other T---T!! Still, it was a valiant effort my friend!! I hope I never forget those days!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:30 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,599 Posts
I used balsa (1/8 or 3/32 I think) then laminated 1/64 ply on the inside from the nose to just behind the wing (where it broke )

Thanks Alan, they were good times hey what???
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Mr Waldopepperaxe,

I watched a video of the 60 size Tweplica maiden, it was a little sad! LOL What was the wing span on that one??

Andy
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:38 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,969 Posts
Hey AJ I will ask my cuz I forgot what he ended up with for the length he still has the wing and will hopefully rebuild the fuse one of these days, he was lovin those trees that year lol he put his mustang in there also we couldn't get it back for almost 2 weeks but we finally did. When he built that 60 sized he did a fantastic job I think it only needed 1 click of right or left trim,I was fortuneate enough to be able to maiden it for him and it was flying so sweet I was highly impressed. I hope you are able to post some pics as you build, that would be excellent but if you can't no biggy I'm glad your taking on this project, you won't be dissapointed. And you have an arsonal of help here also.
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:39 AM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
I think I must have lost my mind, to many projects and not enough time, but we'll get another one in there! Lol

Don't you,just love trees and how magnetic they can actually be??

I have a couple ideas I'm kicking around but need to go get the plans printed off, might do that this week end.

Andy
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:38 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,969 Posts
Well I like to think of it more as a "Challenge" then a loss of my mind LOL
But all in all there really one in the same

Hopefully I'll here from my cuz today about the wing length

Trees are awesome until they hold your plane hostage
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:17 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,969 Posts
AJ The Tweplica 60 sized was
55 1/4" tip to tip and the ST 90 easily pulled it into the trees! LOL
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Trained killer attack trees it what they are! Yep! Had one reach up and grap my .40 size Stick! Plucked it right from the sky it did! Lol

Good thing it was a low pass, I was able to get the branch and shake my plane down.

That's good information there, sounds like the pdf you posted should be about perfect for my Mintor 22cc.

Andy
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:05 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
That should be a kickazz combo Andy!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:06 AM
United States, IA, Dubuque
Joined Sep 2009
22 Posts
Twist 60

I have started building a 58" tweplica for my DLE 20. Looking at the spec on the twist 60 the wingspan of 55 1/4 seems pretty close to what I am building. The plans on the 58" look a little large for the DLE 20 and I was wondering if the twist 60 would work instead. Any Ideas?

John
jschoen is offline Find More Posts by jschoen