HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2010, 08:25 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,972 Posts
Step 3

CHOICE

Now you can either cut out the Center piece of the Stabilizer and trace it on to your 1/4 x 3 sheet and cut it out.

OR

Keep your sheet in tact and transfer the measurements onto the 1/4 x 3 sheet

This video shows how to do it keeping the plans in tact.
Stabilizer Center.wmv (8 min 24 sec)

After you finished making this piece Pin it in Place
Don't Glue yet
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2010, 08:31 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,972 Posts
Stabilzer Step 4

Using 1/8 x 1/4 x 36 Sticks Add the 4 Staright braces to the stab, make them snug so they stand in-between the leading and trailing edge on there own.

Don't worry if you cut one too short, put it a side and you will use it somewhere else along the way.

This is a Vid on steps 4 and 5
Stab Bracing.wmv (5 min 3 sec)
Old Jan 09, 2010, 08:36 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,972 Posts
Step 5

Using the 1/8 x 1/4 Stick you were using Continue adding the diagonal bracing until they are all in the stabilizer.

Glue all the joints now using a very small amount of thin CA or Medium CA make sure you wipe off the excess glue on the top of each joint so it will be nice and flat with no glue bumps.
This will also help the removal of the piece from the plan

Now lightly sand the 2 outside edges flush
Last edited by Waldopepperaxe; Jan 11, 2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 08:47 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,972 Posts
Stabilizer completed for now

HEY You did it that looks awesome

After the Stab dries, Carefully remove the Pins then slowly try and remove the stab from the plans, hold your finger on the wax paper and lift each section as you go working it slowly to make sure you don't pop a brace out, once you remove the stab turn it over and draw a "B" for Bottom somewhere on the bottom center piece (trust me)

Glue all the joints again on the other side then let dry, after you glue the joints again make sure you wipe off the excess glue, and then you can lean it against something instead of laying it back down on the wax paper so it won't stick again, after its dry make sure you keep this part on a nice flat surface until we need it again.

Now you could just use a little more glue the first time on the one side and the Thin CA will wick right to all the parts and that is all you really need to do, I like my planes good and strong for my type of flying so I tend to hit every joint Twice to make sure I didn't forget to hit it the 1st time, and if I did, then its covered the 2nd time as the odds of missing it twice is pretty remote, I don't do this on all of the plane, just where joints usually meet in bracing type applications.

Okay I will get the Elevator going now, lets move on
Last edited by Waldopepperaxe; Jan 13, 2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 02:46 PM
Tree Flyer
Albany NY
Joined Feb 2005
476 Posts
Ok this just looks like way to much fun to pass up even if the thing I built never flies. Im in and ordered all the stuff from BalsaUSA. Ill go to Staples this week and get the plans blown up. Sorry Im a little late to this party but Ill catch up quick.

Tek

EDIT : Joe I noticed placing the order under the FUSE section yo need Balsa Sheet 3/32 x 6 x 48 but the closest they have is 3/32 x 4 x 48. Will that work or no ?
WTurbiasz is offline Find More Posts by WTurbiasz
Last edited by WTurbiasz; Jan 09, 2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 05:29 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
When I built my Tweplica I was struck by the amount of diagonal bracing in the tailfeathers.

Waldo, that tip about just a little CA is a good one. Funny, I never really focused on it and obviously have had a lot of parts stick to the wax paper, and worse eat through it and stick to the plans! Good idea.

I will take the liberty to mention that some balsa is light and soft and some is heavy and dense. If the builder has both, it makes sense to sort it and use the heavy stuff for things like the back of the elevator and the leading and trailing edges of the ailerons, and longerons if applicable, and save the sort stuff for shorter crosspieces.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jan 10, 2010, 08:50 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I don't know how I did not get this on my list Waldo. Now I will have to catch up.

I will be watching and learning.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:20 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I shot this out to my club. I think some of them will enjoy watching.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:23 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,972 Posts
Thats great fellas Nice tips on the harder and softer wood too U2builder, even though its all the same there is definitely tougher pieces then others and should be used for more stressed parts of the plane. Its nice to know the twistoholic brothers have my back on this as I try to think of everything, but my brain doesn't work that way lol so I'm very glad your watching, and don't be afraid to post Pics of anything you've done to help out, Like I said the more ideas for everyone the easiest it is to find a method that will work for them.

Hey Tek, yes its a blast I'm already having a great time

you have to go to the wide section and some of the hobby stores have them on hand too. I think I bought mine at Barnspeed.
But heres a link to the 3/32 x 6 x 48 from Balsa USA
http://www.balsausa.com/store/produc...id_product=305

I prefer the fuse sides to be all one piece if possible but you can always splice wood together to make wider parts, and it works just fine.
basically you just cut 2 pieces with an angle and glue them together so the seam isn't straight across, which ensures it holding better. I'll cover that when we get there.

Wayne welcome aboard glad to have you, and cool the more the merrier,
I'm sure you'll be teaching me a thing or 2 also.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:22 AM
Tree Flyer
Albany NY
Joined Feb 2005
476 Posts
Well all the Balsa is ordered so thanks for finding that for me Joe. I swear I looked and looked and I couldnt find it anywhere on the site. So tommorow I will go to Staples and get the plans and then I think Ill have all I need to start the fun.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:42 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,972 Posts
Cool glad they had it in stock,

I finished the Elevators this morning so I'll try and get that posted tonight or tomorrow.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:03 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,591 Posts
very cool waldo
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:04 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,972 Posts
Oh by the way WTurbiasz (Tek) I give you the WALDO PROMISE it WILL FLY. especially knowing you went through the fun of building it and you fly at our field. This plane will most likely be your favorite plane on the 1st flight, Maybe not, but I think it will just knowing you. You think you like the big Stik, (which is an awesome plane) wait until your hands get on this baby. you think your addicted to this hobby now LOL

Welcome over David
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:40 AM
Tree Flyer
Albany NY
Joined Feb 2005
476 Posts
Quote:
Oh by the way WTurbiasz (Tek) I give you the WALDO PROMISE it WILL FLY
Well in that case I have no choice but to build it. Actually either way I have no choice since I just ordered the OS 46AX for it .. I did make a trip to Staples to get the plans done today. There really wasnt a problem they just wanted me to tell them what size this is supposed to be and I think they meant the size of the paper. I told them I didint know I just need the plans blown up to 100% and I dont care what kind of paper its on. So this is what I got $10 later.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:07 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,972 Posts
Well you'll want to take great care of those plans then because I went to staples on Rte 4 and it cost me $5.67 you must have paper laced with Gold or something.