HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2009, 07:23 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,055 Posts
Thats sweet Balsa!!! Nice deal for sure, I usually just grab a pack when I'm at the Hobby shop, Never saw that deal before.

Init4fun, LOL I hear ya, I have been pretty fortunate for many years now, (hope I just didn't jinx myself) but I'm always thinking nowadays when using the blades as I don't heal as quick as I used to. lol but glad theres always zap around to seal the wound if one occurs
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Last edited by Waldopepperaxe; Dec 29, 2009 at 09:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2009, 09:27 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,055 Posts
Okay kids its gettin close to crunch time, I just set up my spanky new piece of Luaun to pin down the parts and give the workbench a nice new face lift, set up a camera mount over the work bench for some hopefully great straight on shots and vids. I believe I just felt a twitter in my spine thinking about the new build

I will list the first parts we are going to use in the next couple of days but i believe we will be starting with step 1 within the next week.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:22 AM
Newbee AMA # 912488
USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Sep 2008
123 Posts
Darn! My Balsa has not arrived yet!
Crazy Eddie is offline Find More Posts by Crazy Eddie
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:05 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,055 Posts
Thats Okay CrazyEddie, remember I said I was going to start, I have to get started before you then I can post the results for you like pics and instruction so you'll be just fine by the time I'm going to get the post up and then it will be there for you to use whenever your wood arrives, by the time I get the first set of instructions posted and move on to the next part I'm sure you'll be with me.

Well I hope so anyway, as its fun to build along with other people so we can see how everyone is making out at the same time and share tips and or ideas along the way. makes for a great project.

Just wanted to let people know its getting close now as it was planned by me to start by the 2nd or 3rd week in January, I'd really like to make that happen is all. just because thats what I said I was going to do more then anything lol and its looking good so far.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:01 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Subscribed. Check out post 12480 on page 832 of the main Twist tread for some pics of my Tweplica build. The diagonal rib reinforcements really stiffen the ribs and the wing.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:49 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,055 Posts
Nice work U2 !!!! so nice I think your pics should go right here

Yes folks this is the plane were building, Note the pic of the diagonal bracing on the wing ribs U2builder is talking about.
Last edited by Waldopepperaxe; Mar 24, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:25 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Thanks for the compliment Waldo. I did a little post on making the wing ribs that worked out well. It is post 55, page 4 on the Twist Mods thread. It seemed to work well and produce uniform ribs. This was a fun build, and hope everyone enjoys the experience.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jan 04, 2010, 11:07 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,055 Posts
Okay Happy New years everyone,

Well I went and started the project over the weekend so By the middle of this week I am going to start posting the build.

This is going to be a very quick build I assure you
I have taken Pics and will include step by step instruction as well as Video of each section being built.

If you've never scratch built anything before, The best thing to do if your going to build along as we go is to go ahead and separate all your wood piles and label them so you know exactly what you have, and that will make the building process much faster for you. and if you don't have a certain size piece you can usually make that piece out of the wood you have.

Please feel free to ask questions or ask for close ups on anything that isn't clearly defined for you, I am going to try and make this as easy as possible, so if anything seems confusing jump right in and ask about it. besides its much easier to ask about anything then to use a piece of wood you might be uncertain about and have to go buy a new piece to continue.

And I also welcome any tips and ideas you may have or use, as the more choices you can have to help someone build is always better because some people prefer different techniques in the way they do things. Its all great and what ever works to get to the end result is all you need.

I will be doing this build In ways I personally feel is very simple. If the pics don't give you the idea of whats going on then the video associated with that section should. I really don't think you'll need anything but the Pics and Instruction. but it will all be covered one way or the other.

So get those wood piles ready, prep the working surface and lets build this fun flying bird
Old Jan 06, 2010, 01:27 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
O NO why did you have to post those pictures Don't you guys know that your just contributing to my addiction.
It sure looks as if the way the fuse is designed you taken out the weak spots
Great job
An Waldo I'm looking foward to your build
THANKS
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jan 09, 2010, 08:54 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,055 Posts
The Beginning

Okay here we go

These directions are with the complete beginner in mind.
So have fun

This is a quick video on how to set up and get started with some pinning tips too, if you've ever built a plane you wouldn't need to watch this but for the complete beginner you may want to check it out.

Thats here
Beginners Start.wmv (2 min 13 sec)
Last edited by Waldopepperaxe; Mar 24, 2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 08:57 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,055 Posts
The Set up

Organize all the wood for the build by separating your wood into piles by Size
Ex. Balsa Sticks, Ply Sticks, Balsa Sheets, Balsa Ply,
Old Jan 09, 2010, 09:02 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,055 Posts
Laying it out

Tape the plans down to a nice flat clean surface in this case we will be starting with the Stabilizer so you can cut out that part if you have a smaller working area as we can do section at a time.

Then tape a piece of wax paper or a plan protector over the plan, this keeps glue from sticking the parts to the plans and will help keep the plan intact for future use.

Tip: Some pieces of balsa will feel stiffer then others even though they are the same. use the stiffer pieces in areas that will take more stress like the trailing edge of the Stabilizer will have control horns and hinges put on it so use a tougher piece of balsa stick if you have it. Just flex the pieces you have lightly don't snap them, you'll be able to feel the difference in the pieces if there is any.

Thanks U2builder for this tip. thought I'd better put this up in the beginning
Last edited by Waldopepperaxe; Jan 11, 2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 09:07 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,055 Posts
Items needed for this section

1/4 x 1/4 x 36 sticks
1/8 x 1/4 x 36 sticks
1/4 x 3 x at least 5" sheet or you can use a full sheet
x-acto blade or saw
CA Glue Medium or thin
pins

A How to Video for steps 1 - 2 Framing the Stabilizer
Stabilizer Step 1 frame.avi (5 min 23 sec)
Last edited by Waldopepperaxe; Jan 09, 2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 09:13 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,055 Posts
Stabilizer Step 1

Do not use any glue at this time we will glue everything when the entire stabilizer is completed.

Using a piece of 1/4 x 1/4 x 36 lay the stick across the trailing edge, mark it where the trailing edge meets the elevator sides and cut it to that size and pin it in place
Old Jan 09, 2010, 09:18 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,055 Posts
Stabilizer Step 2

Using the 1/4 x 1/4 Stick you just used continue around the outter edge of the Stab cutting and pinning as you go until all 4 sides are in place.
Last edited by Waldopepperaxe; Dec 02, 2010 at 10:01 AM.