SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2009, 11:36 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,048 Posts
Cool,,, and welcome Sanka its gonna be a fun build.
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2009, 08:24 PM
Tree Flyer
Albany NY
Joined Feb 2005
476 Posts
Im going to try it although I have no idea what Im doing ... Aside from ordering the wood what else do I have to do , do I need to blow up the plans ?

Tek
WTurbiasz is offline Find More Posts by WTurbiasz
Old Dec 08, 2009, 09:15 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,048 Posts
Hey Tek,

yeah blow the plans up to full size, 100%, for the 40 sized plane. you can get it done at staples for just under $6.00

I'll be posting other items needed for the build as we get closer, but really all you'll need is some wax paper or plan protector, and either a flat piece of luan or sheet rock big enough to put the plan pieces on one at a time.

The luan or sheetrock is so pinning down the balsa parts over the plans is easy. some also use a magnet system which is little more expensive but I think would be easier. I have never used the magnet system yet as its more expensive then the pinning system. I think you can get a good starter magnet system for around $100.00 right now I choose the $10.00 -$15.00 worth of wood if you don't have any laying around which doubles as the top of my work bench anyway.

You just want it nice and flat and to be able to put pins in it.
Old Dec 09, 2009, 01:06 AM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,615 Posts
Waldo - I use a cheap door from one of the home improvement centers with some fir tex (or ceiling tile) covering it. Flat, easy to pin into. Oh yeah and CHEAP. About 30 bucks for my last one.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Dec 09, 2009, 11:49 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,048 Posts
Excellent Idea Nomatta and the sheetrock idea goes to my good cuz.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 09:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Gettin Kinda lonley around here waitin on the Tweplica!!!!!
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 19, 2009, 09:34 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,048 Posts
I know lol But I said I'd start in the 2nd 3rd week Of January, So I'll stick to it, so people can get their supplies, Its looking more like the 2nd week though as I'm gettin anxious myself to get Wally's workshop producing aircrafts
Old Dec 23, 2009, 05:24 PM
Newbee AMA # 912488
USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Sep 2008
123 Posts
Plywood?

Waldo,

Over at BUSA there is no "Balsa Plywood" under the Balsa Wood section nor the Plywood section. They offer an "AAA Premium Model Grade Lite-Ply but @ 24" & 48", OR, Model Aircraft Birch Plywood in 12", 24" and 48".

Should I get the Birch @ 12" or the AAA... @24" and cut it to size? Or perhaps find the Balsa Plywood somewhere else?

Sorry for the noob question, but I need to know!

Regards,
Eddie
Crazy Eddie is offline Find More Posts by Crazy Eddie
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:28 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,048 Posts
Hey Crazy Eddie No Problem, I would think the Birch would be fine. and I'm pretty sure thats what you'll want, but when I get home I'll look at what I listed and what exactly is going to be needed for you. just so were certain.

Glad to have you aboard for sure, and don't worry about the noob thing, Thats exactly why I'm doing this. especially for the people who have never stick built a plane before, I hope to show how easy it can be to build a plane from nothing but a blue print and a pile of sticks, which will also benefit any ARF lovers so they can see how easy it is to repair a damaged plane as well in case of a mis hap. besides I love to build so to take anyone else on the ride with me, makes it even more fun.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 12:00 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
How much Old Grandad is required for this build? One needs to have all the necessary tools at one's disposal before beginning a project. Just trying to help is all.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:46 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,048 Posts
This should be just a 2 quart build

Crazy eddie the Birch will be fine thats what I'll be using.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:36 AM
Newbee AMA # 912488
USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Sep 2008
123 Posts
Thanks Waldo!

Say, do you have a list of building tools that I need to do this project? Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,
Eddie
Crazy Eddie is offline Find More Posts by Crazy Eddie
Old Dec 26, 2009, 01:19 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,048 Posts
Tools required

your going to go through some blades, however, in my poorer building days, I would use 1 blade through the entire build. but you'll want nice new sharp blades to make things easier and really help keep the wood or covering with nice clean lines.

I have also used just the xacto blades to cut the balsa ply out if you don't have an electric Jigsaw type. thats a little time consuming but can be done.

wax paper or plan protector,

a flat piece of luan or sheet rock, or a cheap door from one of the home improvement centers with some fir tex (or ceiling tile) covering it. big enough to put the plan pieces on one at a time. Thanks Nomatta.

For this build you will want these tools

x-acto knife
x-acto blades #11 I usually pick up something like this as http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKY49&P=0
Small Phillips screwdriver
Small Straight screwdriver
xacto saw like this, any kind you like
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKX96&P=0
Tape Measure
either a jigsaw (Scroll saw) or bandsaw for cutting out the plywod firewall and formers, I have a jigsaw
Some straight edged tools, like a good Ruler, speed squares, carpenters square, 2 or 4 foot level. any of these will be fine
I use Medium CA, and 5 minute epoxy for everything. But thats me.
A Bag of Multi type clamps would be very helpful
#64 rubber bands
T-pins any size, if your using the pinning the wood down method
NOTE if your using the magnet type system you won't need the T-pins
Sandpaper I use 60 -150 grit and 180 - 220 grit for final sanding what ever I have laying around really.
Sanding block or sanding bar for the sandpaper.
Pliers Needle nose
1/4" Tap if you want to screw the wing on directly into wood OR you could just use a 1/4" 20 nylon bolt and a Blind nut and you wouldn't need the tap.
Scissors nice sharp pair for the covering on the model
Some string or thread
Dremmil might be helpful but not completely neccessary.
Drill

This is mostly what you will need for the entire model, I'm sure I've missed a few things. I plan on listing the Tools needed for each section we do as we go along so you won't have to buy everything all at once, this is also helpful so you can see some options as we go so you can decide if you really need to spend the money on something or not.
Last edited by Waldopepperaxe; Dec 26, 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 03:06 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
blades

Here's how I ordered mine. 100 blades for $11.99.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJC80&P=ML
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Dec 26, 2009, 05:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Yes ! Im here to see the Tweplica build . Now be careful with those Xactos , Me ? If i dont bleed on the plane at least once during the build it wont fly right
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)