Old Dec 03, 2009, 04:25 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
GUAM.USA
Joined Dec 2009
140 Posts
Discussion
Horten III

Hey guys,
I just recently took the plans of a horten III from the aerosente site that was originally from bob marchese i believe...anyways I saw those plans for the free flight version three years ago...i downloaded the plans ,took them to copy express and blew them up to a 52" wingspan..I put in an E-flite 480 motor rated at i believe 1100 or 1200 kv...a 40 amp e-flight speed control with a cut down 8X6 prop to 6-1/2"..i took some pics and will upload as soon as I am able.the wing came out at approx. 18oz with a 2100-3 cell lipo. The CG moved just slightly forward than what is shown on the plans.I used the airfoil on the plans.I covered it with red monokote and german crossess. I did put a small pilot in it for visual appeal... I read in places that most guys used the plan for mostly free flight but works really as an RC aircraft !!!! one more thing the damn thing isn't slow...LOL ...it tends to scoot right along as I've also flown it 15 to 20 mph winds at the beachpark...used the skid that is scale as a way to launch the wing....will have pics soon
guamflyer is offline Find More Posts by guamflyer
Last edited by guamflyer; Dec 20, 2009 at 03:08 AM. Reason: upload pic
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:20 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
GUAM.USA
Joined Dec 2009
140 Posts
more pics

pics,,finally.... CG is about 5" to 5 1/4. I had started slightly nose heavy then trimmed to taste. I've got 1/4 inch washout and the aircraft is pretty stable. with the skid/launch handle/rudder the wing tracks pretty straight. it flys as a pure wing, no tiplets, elevons only. be careful with the throws cause I got alot and it sometimes makes for an interesting flight..if ya want to know more leave a message or e-mail at kencabral@rocketmail.com.....if you decide to build this thing ,you won't be dissapointed if your into wings especially scale types..I had the motor and prop out but you get the idea
Last edited by guamflyer; Feb 10, 2010 at 05:28 AM. Reason: add stuff
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:51 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Wow!
Nice wing!
Sure looks like fun!
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Dec 30, 2009, 03:49 PM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
GUAM.USA
Joined Dec 2009
140 Posts
I did strengthen the wing a bit with spruce spars and sheeted the mid section. I also sheeted the top portion of the wing and left the bottom open. I built the wing as a whole then cut the elevons out. I wanted to get the washout right.with my experience of wings , washout is something never to ignore unless you use specific airfoils in correct order. I'm waiting for another speed control as the one I previously had was old and died on me. the wing gets lots of attention at the beachpark where I fly.I considered making a 60" to 70" but will most likely put wheels on that one. another wing I'm looking at is the Northrup N9M.....so many planes...so many planes....
Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:26 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Very cool! would like to see more...w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 22, 2010, 07:17 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
GUAM.USA
Joined Dec 2009
140 Posts
I actually made a couple of different sizes as I had considered a speed 300 size as well...I made that about 30" - 40". But then the speed 480 sounded like more fun..I made the different sizes with the plans first then made my calculations like wing loading,etc,etc...If one of you guys builds one, pls post a pic here so we can all share design options...Thanks Guys....
Last edited by guamflyer; Jan 22, 2010 at 07:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 22, 2010, 07:21 AM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,489 Posts
nice looking bird you got there
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:58 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
GUAM.USA
Joined Dec 2009
140 Posts
Hope you guys build one and fly it too...I'm just waiting for the speed control then I'm back in the air....YEAH....
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:59 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
GUAM.USA
Joined Dec 2009
140 Posts
This is the area where I fly the most...There's a big parking lot to the left of pics and also a great paved runway when no one's around...this is also where the kite festival is held in sept.
Last edited by guamflyer; Jan 24, 2010 at 01:13 AM. Reason: add