HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:24 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,188 Posts
Now, it's out of stock. Guess I will have to see if it comes back in stock or what they will be replacing it with. Thanks for all the info.
Fishjunky is online now Find More Posts by Fishjunky
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hacienda Heights, CA
Joined Sep 2000
341 Posts
Quote:
You guys fly/flew the Mouton and you use ASSAN radio systems...so you gotta be right about the ALPS. I will add it to the list.

Thanks,
JimNM
Now I'm feeling the pressure. All the info is second hand at best. Won't know until mine is in the air. I still won't be able to get around to working on it for a week or two, at the earliest.

Fishjunky, they probably had only a few in stock, which they sold at the AMA show. You might be able to get one from another CMP/Flying Dreams dealer direct from China.

Jim
JimO is offline Find More Posts by JimO
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:21 AM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
533 Posts
I picked mine up at the AMA Expo for $80. They had one or two left after mine on Saturday.
Yablonsky is offline Find More Posts by Yablonsky
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:54 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
6,924 Posts
I joined the ALPS club today. With the discount code PRICEPICKLE - it came to 98.00 shipped. I'm still looking forward to hearing how you guys like it Hint hint I'm guessing it'll be more of a lukewarm-liner than the Mouton was. I have a gas-bag floater and a decent DLG. More info when I can.

Be well
JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jan 26, 2010, 01:40 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
533 Posts
I'm setting mine up as a glider for Lily Shapell slope....have also purchased the motor and prop, for non-slope days. I'll report back how it flies both ways.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 05:49 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
533 Posts
Changed my mind and set this up with a brushless inrunner motor from HobbyKing: HXT 2835 (380S) 2200kv Brushless Inrunner

I also added the Prop also from HobbyKing: Folding Propeller 9x5 W/ Alloy hub 40mm / 3.2mm shaft

Then added the ESC: Eflight - 30-Amp Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC

Finally the Battery also from HobbyKing: ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 20C

I worked the CG out as specified in the manual and had to add a few oz of lead just behind the motor....found out you shouldn't use lead shot in a ziplock bag.

You can see the details of the plane here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...s&memid=493797

So...today I took it out to the park for the maiden flight.....you know where this is going...or not.

I checked radio range...good to go
I checked all the control surfaces...good to go

I then pick it up and confirm the hatch cover is in place....used magnets in the 4 corners....works great...and turned the motor on low and launched it.

It flew nice and level and the controls were responsive...a bit too much on teh elevator...way too much throw. I pushed up the throttle and pulled up on the elevator and it started to climb just fine. At first it seemed pretty fast, but eventually, it felt a tad sluggish.

I flew around continuing to check all the control surfaces and noted that the ailerons function pretty well but the elevator was still a bit too touchy.

After about 4-5 rounds with loops and rolls, I bring it in for a nice slow pass and looks and feels pretty good. Wasn't able to do a test dive to confirm CG. I came back around and since I was on my lunch and was getting hungry...I started another slow pass and nice turn and noticed that the plane was farther than I wanted to walk to get it, so I started a slow bank and pushed the throttle up, but got no response. Thinking back, I did do a lot of full throttle passes...(being greedy The plane continued to bank and roll and eventually did a nose dive and cart wheel all in one.

The wing came off...no damage and the fuse snapped in half right at the back wing mount. The wing mount was still connected to the wing....again...no damage to the wing.

With further inspection, the zip lock bag of lead shot was melted and lead shot was just rolling around in the fuse. some was attached to the motor from the ziplock bag melting and fusing them. Checking the motor after pulling it out, the wires have the rubber coating melted exposing the wires, very close to the motor housing....just not enough motor for the job.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 05:56 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
6,924 Posts
A whole lotta prop for a "380" motor. What was your amp draw like? I have a KDA 22-20L that swings a 10x7 pretty well on 3s.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 05:58 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
533 Posts
I don't know what the amp draw was...I don't have any meters for measuring. I'll definately do more research before selecting a motor/prop setup again.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:00 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
533 Posts
I have a question for anyone else familiar with the Alps or the material used for the fuse....How best to do this repair?

You think Epoxy and glass or Resin and glass?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 07:09 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yablonsky View Post
I don't know what the amp draw was...I don't have any meters for measuring. I'll definately do more research before selecting a motor/prop setup again.

Sorry, but your power setup is completely off and mismatched. That motor has the wrong KV; 2200kv is for a 6x4E prop and much smaller plane; typically with 3S and you'll be pulling less than 30A with that prop. 9.5 is way too large a prop for that motor and the result was excessive current draw until failure. For a 2-meter sailplane/warmliner, for best efficiency, I'd go with at least an 11" prop up to about 13" with the 3S pack. You want to be able to pull around 40A-50A max and of course you will need a higher rated speed control as well as a separate BEC.

To swing a folding 11"-13" you will need a 35mm outrunner with a KV of between 900 to 1000 to keep your peak current draw below 50A on 3S at WOT. Either of these will work:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...8_900Kv_/_770W

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._1000Kv_/_605w

I'd use nothing less than a 50A controller:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ies_50-60A_ESC

and of course a BEC to power the servos/receiver:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...SBEC_for_Lipo_

The 900kv turnigy needs a folding prop spinner with a 5mm adapter and the 1000kv turnigy needs one with a 4mm shaft adapter. For props, I would start with 12x8 folder for the 1000kv and 13x7 for the 900kv; both of these folding props are from HK also.

There are many ways to outfit a plane this size but this is just 2 examples.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:17 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
533 Posts
I do have one of these already: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2140

The problem with an outrunner is that the outrunning part will be on the inside of the fuse and will have the wires running inside as well...I was planning on trying the above motor and using a little epoxy to make sure the wires dont get in the way.

What Prop would you recommend if this were a suitable motor?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:40 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yablonsky View Post
I do have one of these already: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2140

The problem with an outrunner is that the outrunning part will be on the inside of the fuse and will have the wires running inside as well...I was planning on trying the above motor and using a little epoxy to make sure the wires dont get in the way.

What Prop would you recommend if this were a suitable motor?
That motor is more suitable than the first one but still not ideal;you want to keep the current draw to a max of around 30A based on the recommended specs. If you look at the notes/comments left by other users, it looks like a 9x5-9x6 on your 3S should put you in that amp draw range.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:11 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,100 Posts
I used 1 of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._(Eq:_AXi_2814 in a MPX Bizzard. On a 3s 2200 20-30c lipo, with a 9x6 it pulled @30-32a for 370w. Flew the Blizzard fine, vertical performance. I don't think the 35-48 series is needed to fly this model, Even the 35-42 series takes about 42a. Course, depends on how you want to fly it.
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Old Feb 01, 2010, 09:58 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
6,924 Posts
alps arrived!

I got mine today ! The box was a little bent but a quick inspection showed no damage. I am stoked by what I see on the bench.

The lines are sleek and the fuse feels a lot better than the Mouton did. I won't be able to give a side-by-side because I passed the Mouton off to another club member a few months back.

The tail group is snug and straight. The wing is straight and it fits the saddle MUCH better than the M. This plane feels like a real value at 80$ and it has no glaring problems.

I believe that it will need nose weight, so why not stuff a big motor in? I have a selection of 28 to 30 mm motors. The Hyperion 3025-08 looks like the best fit. I did not check battery fit yet. If I can fit it, a 4s A123 will drive a 10x8 folder pretty darn well.

I will be out of town until late Feb. I will monitor this thread to see you thoughts.

Be well
JimNM
Old Feb 02, 2010, 09:57 AM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
533 Posts
I would suggeswt you build up the fuse right at the back of the wing saddle where the air ports are. This is definately a weak spot and also the wing bolt mount plate was also weak.

Trust me....(read up)

Ken