Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:40 PM
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Oct 2009
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhschino View Post
I guys! I've read all the postings on this board so far and I wanted to get some help on installing my out runner in here, how do you guys recommend I do this since there is no mount for a out runner.
Thanks .
Yes agreed - some references to your proposed motor/installation would help an assessment of your situation.

My 35mm diameter outrunner is mounted at the rear of a firewall 'sandwich'. Front-most is the provided circular metal plate, the 'filling' is the moulded fuselage firewall and at the rear is thin plywood. This sandwich is bonded together with epoxy and the fixing holes countersunk in the metal plate so the motor bolts are flush and well clear of the spinner's rear plate, and also providing sufficient available thread to engage properly with the motor case.

The metal plate was marked and drilled first to accommodate the motor and therefore provided the drill guide for the rest of the sandwich when bonded.

I've used an Aeronaut Cool-nose spinner and have drilled suitable but modest cooling holes in the firewall assembly.

The 35mm motor fits very snug and care had to be taken with it's orientation so as to provide clearance for the power wires.

Ro.
RGPuk is offline Find More Posts by RGPuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2011, 11:47 AM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
537 Posts
I havn't been flying mine....been sitting in the rafters for quite some time....

Anyone interested in picking it up for a good price for replacement parts or just for another one to build up with different specs? I currently have a motor in it, which had a too small prop so it didn't fly too sweet and I also have a prop/boltin nose that is filled ewith lead shot to replace the motor and fly as a glider.
Yablonsky is offline Find More Posts by Yablonsky
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:38 AM
France, Languedoc, Villar-Saint-Anselme
Joined Apr 2011
34 Posts
I'm looking for something sporty/warmliner, upgrading from a ST Models Blaze.

Would this be suitable?

Could I use the motor and esc from my Blaze?

Thanks, Dave.
davehuge is offline Find More Posts by davehuge
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:04 AM
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Oct 2009
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehuge View Post
I'm looking for something sporty/warmliner, upgrading from a ST Models Blaze.

Would this be suitable?
Alps is slippery - landings need setting up carefully especially if there's no wind. On a slope, in a blow, is far easier. She needs to be flown briskly and will drop a wing viciously if airspeed is dropped too near the limit.

Quote:
Could I use the motor and esc from my Blaze?
It depends on the size of the motor from Blaze. I've shoehorned a 35mm outrunner into my Alps. You'll find my full assembly notes, including reinforcements and power train just a few post back. I heartily recommend the fuz strengthening around the cooling outlets and an extra spar if you intend not joining the wing panels permanently.

To be honest, the whole thread is worth reading so you can plan your strategy, adopting features and tweaks that will suit you and your flying.

Ro.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Apr 2011
401 Posts
Would a 3s 3000-4000mah battery fit?
FTA_FTW is offline Find More Posts by FTA_FTW
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:03 AM
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Oct 2009
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTA_FTW View Post
Would a 3s 3000-4000mah battery fit?
Judging by the fit of my 3s 2250mAh, it could be a difficult squeeze - although you can move the ply battery tray with some surgery and accommodate a larger pack nearer or on the fuselage floor.

Ro.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:32 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
I fly mine as a warm-hottish-liner.
As mentioned before here, you need to move it, and don't slow it down too much, and don't try to do anything overly wild, it will explode mid-air, even with reinforcements :|.
If the fuse was made from a better material and it had composite wings with a longer spar it would be a great, great bird, but for the price and looks, it is still impressive and fun to fly.
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:55 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Hey guys. Just got mine today from RC Aerodyne. $20 bucks!! I couldn't pass it up! I was surprised at the overall quality. No way you can beat that for $20 bucks...So I just found this thread and will read up over the next few days. I mainly want to know what kinds of power setups folks here are finding the most successful...What top speeds are you getting, any must do mods...The usual suspects!

Oh I see this is an old thread. Well maybe it's okay to bring back to life, especially with the sale price right now. I'll read the entire thread through and see if I can get all the answers I am looking for. Thanks.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2013, 09:13 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,074 Posts
link to sale price?

carbon or f/g along fuse. could fly fast, blew my wing on #2 to avoid a head on. not a thermal ship, but fun for boom and zoom. 350 to 450 watts on 3s and 10" prop hyperion 3025_8. a lighter 3014 would float better, but it is not a floater...
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Mar 20, 2013, 09:49 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Here you go! http://www.scaleflying.com/Alps--Pow...iner_p_49.html

Thanks for the tips! What kind of top speed did you estimate with your setup?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2013, 09:52 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Is this the motor? http://www.hyperion-world.com/produc...t/HP-ZS3025-08
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2013, 09:53 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,074 Posts
70 plus in a climb, enough to whistle in climb and on the flat. Closer to 90 on the swoops. I did not push terminal v descents. My key to fast flight is to be smooth. I fly with large throws, moving the sticks very little. That works well until i panic and crush the sticks
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Last edited by JimNM; Mar 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:04 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Thanks, just finished the thread. At this $20 price I may buy a few and experiment with each a little differently. This first one I will try without any major mods like CF reinforcement on the fuse. Again, that price makes it easy to be bold and test limits.

I'd like to get her closer to 100mph but I think I will wait and see what 75 feels like first with her.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2013, 06:34 AM
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Oct 2009
136 Posts
With a couple of anything less than perfect arrivals, the fuz will end up cracking around the under-wing ventilation holes if they are not glassed over (the hole at the tail is plenty for air flow).

Eventually, with spirited flying, the wings will rip free of the securing bolts - at the trailing edge. That TE area is far from tough enough and needs proper attention.

I loved my Alps until the latter issue hit - and have another in it's box just waiting for assembly.

Ro.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:13 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Would epoxy at the mid wing joiner section prevent the wings from ripping free?
RCG Plus Member