HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2010, 10:02 AM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
556 Posts
I've put my Alps up for sale/trade here: LINK

If I can't get a trade, I'll be selling it. Any reasonable offer will be considered. It's not that I don't like the Alps, I am looking for something to slope with at my local slope.

Ken
Yablonsky is offline Find More Posts by Yablonsky
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2010, 12:11 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,256 Posts
Day two with A.2 The wind was up around 10-12mph, making my other planes no fun to fly and all landings were tough with large rotors across the LZ. The A.2 flew very nicely in the buffeting air and the extra power made the multiple go-round landings easy on the pilot. Flight #1 was 3:45 on motor with 12:49 motor off, about a 1:3 ratio. Following flights were more aggressive climb and whistle passes, with a closer to 1:2 ratio. Internal temps were well within comfor levels and the ambient temp was around 85. I did get into a verticle tumble where the A.2 fell 100 feet or so in a sort of inverted tumble-spin. That was cool to see, but a little tense for the pilot. I will post AUW when I get it measured. The cooling inlet I added to the canopy seemed to help.

Be well,
JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:59 PM
Austin, TX, 78746
Joined Nov 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
Day two with A.2 The wind was up around 10-12mph, making my other planes no fun to fly and all landings were tough with large rotors across the LZ. The A.2 flew very nicely in the buffeting air and the extra power made the multiple go-round landings easy on the pilot. Flight #1 was 3:45 on motor with 12:49 motor off, about a 1:3 ratio. Following flights were more aggressive climb and whistle passes, with a closer to 1:2 ratio. Internal temps were well within comfor levels and the ambient temp was around 85. I did get into a verticle tumble where the A.2 fell 100 feet or so in a sort of inverted tumble-spin. That was cool to see, but a little tense for the pilot. I will post AUW when I get it measured. The cooling inlet I added to the canopy seemed to help.

Be well,
JimNM
Nice report Jim. I had a fire in my garage Sunday which destroyed my fleet but alps was boxed so if I clean soot off I can build it out
donaldrtaylor is offline Find More Posts by donaldrtaylor
Old Jul 07, 2010, 09:20 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,256 Posts
Moved to PM
Last edited by JimNM; Jul 08, 2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 01:34 AM
we spozed ta be tite!
Nowata, OK
Joined Aug 2005
159 Posts
I think I'm on the verge of getting one of these.

fr0g_D
fr0g_D is offline Find More Posts by fr0g_D
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:11 AM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
556 Posts
I have one for sale....your lucky day.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1272249

I'll ship if your really interested...at cost of shipping.

Ken
Old Jul 15, 2010, 01:17 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,256 Posts
Oh yeah!

Just got back from another day at the field. 3 more flights on the Alps and I'm getting closer to having it dialed in. Today I worked on aileron differential and spoilers. The diff has made a large improvement, but is still needing work.

The spoilerons on a switch worked out a lot better than they did on a slider. I have 65% throw with no elevator (yet). The added drag and reduced lift make landing a lot easier. I am still using a windmilling prop to slow down, then pop spoilerons and the glide distance is cut by 50% or more.

More next week

Oh yeah, I find that I am still conservative with the CG. I took out 3/4 oz balast today after the field, so I will update when I get the chance to fly again. Messing around with elevator trim, I explored the float (!?) ability and near stall region. I had an 1:11.5 motor to glide ratio on that flight, with a little gentle lift.

Be well
JimNM
Last edited by JimNM; Jul 15, 2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: mo' info
Old Jul 15, 2010, 01:47 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
556 Posts
I just reduced the price again. I pulled my servos out of the wing for another project but still reduced the price to a good price (I think) and am willing to ship at shipping cost.

I also added a few more photos...Link is above a few

Ken
Old Oct 28, 2010, 02:57 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,256 Posts
It's BAAAACK!

I am happy to announce that my ALPS is back in action (again.) I had another crash about 6 weeks ago when I lost orientation at top speed and 6' AGL. The saving grace of that crash was that I hit the ground right next to a leaking water sprinkler head.

The fuse buried to the wing root in the mud and snapped at the tail end of the carbon sock. A few small cracks inside in the canopy area were really easy to glue back to the sock. The tail was re-attached by way of an inside plug made from hinge material and epoxy. The motor and esc were OK, the rx lost the antenna. The elevator servo was stripped and one aileron was stripped. The other aileron seemed to be ok, until the re-maiden flight when it became evident that it would not center from one side (but it would from the other?) The cost of 1 servo and 2 sets of gears and a battery, and I have the ALPS finished and re-flown.

I am still quite happy with the performance - 75+ mph on the flat and enough grunt to make the wings whistle in a 15 degree climb. I need to work a little more on the differential, but the spoilerons are working just great and make the landings easy in <25% of the field rather than 75% without.

All in all, one of my favorite planes to fly. 4 minutes of motor got me over 40 minutes of flying today. Not super great at riding small thermals, but that is why I have my other glider. This one flies like a sports car -
Old Nov 01, 2010, 01:35 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
556 Posts
What motor and Prop do you have installed?
Old Nov 01, 2010, 03:34 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,256 Posts
I'm.still with the Hyperion 3025-8 and a 10*8 aeronaut folder. I am at about 77% eff and a little over 75mph pitch speed. Certainly not a holier, but it is fast enough to keep me paying attention. It whistles on the climb if I keep it shallow, around 10 degrees or so.

I still have not handed the carbon sock, so I am losing some potential to the drag. Fun flyer without a lot of work.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 02:36 PM
Hold my Beer and watch this!
USA, MA, Brockton
Joined Sep 2007
291 Posts
HK Power System ?

I received mine a few weeks ago. Thanks to JimNM for suggesting this model to me Work has been very busy lately so I have only taken it out of the box to look at it and then put back in. My flying buddy and I are about to place an Order with Hobby King. Does anyone have a good suggestion as to what motor/ESC I could purchase from HK that would be good in this plane? Not looking for insane power but don't want a dog either and I don't want to have to run the motor wires outside the fuse.

Thanks
-Jeff
silent_guru is offline Find More Posts by silent_guru
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:10 AM
Austin, TX, 78746
Joined Nov 2008
292 Posts
I'm almost back

Hi Jim,
I am finally building my second Alps after my garage mishap this summer.
I have the motor installed, have reinforced the fuse and will start putting in the servos soon. Good to hear your report. I agree its a fun fast flyer on the cheap.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:32 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,256 Posts
Glad to know that things are looking up, Don. I am most impressed with the carbon sock. It adds a lot of strength and is not hard to do. I've put it on three different models and didn't screw it up too badly yet I got a little thermal.action with it the other day, staying up for almost 40 minutes on 4 minutes of motor. Add spoilerons to your radio set up, and the Alps is a breeze to land.

Fly it fast and smooth and it will last you a long time.

JimNM
Old Nov 19, 2010, 04:02 PM
Austin, TX, 78746
Joined Nov 2008
292 Posts
need a canopy for my Alps

Jim,
Do you have any extra canopies from any of your Alps? Neither of mine survived the fire. I would gladly pay you for one.