HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2009, 05:52 PM
Joined Apr 2009
23 Posts
Discussion
T 34

I'd like to build a T34 Mentor w/flaps and retracts and I'm looking for a recommendation of which airplane kit to start with. The E-flite T34 comes with flaps no retracts. The CMP T34 comes with retracts, no flaps. The H9 does not come with either, but has the option of retracts. Any ideas has to which would be workable to add the flaps or retracts? Thanks for any suggestions.
rrbf66 is offline Find More Posts by rrbf66
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2009, 08:28 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
I've just started flying the CMP with a 0.46 nitro engine. It looks good and flies very well (note that I haven't tried anything fancy yet).

This is my first plane with electric retracts and it has taken me half a dozen or so flights to get them right (mainly putting in some guides for the steering wires on the front wheel so they don't snag up, making the 'door' wider for the front wheel so it dosn't jam sideways, and very firmly securing the rear wheel wires to the server so that they don't drag out at all).

The plane tracks well on the ground and is very simple and true in take off. As I said, flight is predictable assuming you have flown a low wing before. Landing is not too tricky, and slow enough, even if the front wheel is jammed, to not get into too much trouble. At the very least, it teaches you the good habit of landing on the rear wheels first. I worried about the lack of flaps, but am comfortable now that I won't need them.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old Dec 03, 2009, 08:12 AM
Joined Apr 2009
23 Posts
Thanks for the info Mercer, much appreciated. RF
rrbf66 is offline Find More Posts by rrbf66
Old Dec 03, 2009, 11:43 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbf66 View Post
I'd like to build a T34 Mentor w/flaps and retracts and I'm looking for a recommendation of which airplane kit to start with. The E-flite T34 comes with flaps no retracts. The CMP T34 comes with retracts, no flaps. The H9 does not come with either, but has the option of retracts. Any ideas has to which would be workable to add the flaps or retracts? Thanks for any suggestions.
You have the same post over in the engines forum. There were responses to your question there in case you missed them.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Dec 03, 2009, 10:06 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
I should have added that you need special servers for the retracts which are $30-$50 each. If costs are a big factor, you need to factor in the extra $60-$100 for the two retract servers.

It's one thing getting them to work flawlessly in the shed, another thing to get them to work reliable down the field. On my first flight, the front wheel strut fell out of the retract and was just dangling there held by the steering wires. I landed OK (obviously nose dragged for a few metres) and found that a tiny grub screw holding it in place had come loose. Any way, you just have to sort it problem by problem. I think mine is just about right now. At one stage I was thinking of just permanetly fixing on the front wheel, but am glad I persisted.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot