HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2003, 08:40 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,536 Posts
7 feet flying wing name "Queen Bee"

Dear All

I start to make this 7 feet flying wing, it name "Queen Bee".
It should finish tomorrow, plan to do the flight test on coming Sunday.
Any idea or suggestion?

Ming Lou
Ming is online now Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2003, 08:44 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,536 Posts
Should be 84 inch, sorry.

Site Sponsor
Old May 05, 2003, 09:02 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,041 Posts
I've flown a wing about that size. You might want to extend the spars to the tips. The extra weight of the larger wings can make them flex quite a lot in high winds. You should probably move the servos further out on the wings. The ailerons are going to flex the way you have it and at higher speed they will probably fultter.

Other than that it looks good. You'll love it big planes fly better. Next put flaps AND ailerons on it. Lots of fun with flaps.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old May 05, 2003, 09:15 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,536 Posts
TFLG

Yes, the longer spar is better.
This wing use 4 servos, two inside for the elevator, two outside for aileron.
Site Sponsor
Old May 05, 2003, 09:21 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,041 Posts
That's better. I think you'll be better off using the inboard ones as Flaps though. Looks like a fun prject though.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old May 05, 2003, 09:32 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,536 Posts
Flaps can work on flying wing?

TFLG

Do you think flaps can work on flying wing?
I guess if the flaps turn on, it should same as the elevator?
Is it something call butterfly can work better?

Ming
Site Sponsor
Old May 05, 2003, 10:24 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,221 Posts
Yes, flaps can work on large swept back flying wings, and from what I've heard, they really won't cause much pitching inboard there. Should only require a little bit of up elevator mix with down flap to keep it going straight. Mainly I've heard that really large flying wings tend to come in pretty hot and heavy, so be sure to build it strong.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2003, 12:04 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,536 Posts
Aileron and elevator

Site Sponsor
Old May 05, 2003, 04:21 PM
Just an A&P mechanic
Joined Sep 2002
372 Posts
id sure love one . your ailerons look kind of skimpy. i hope you will use the foil used on the bee. also if you putem into production ill get one for sure. i dont need to read a review from any skeptics. :-)
Spaceship13 is offline Find More Posts by Spaceship13
Old May 05, 2003, 10:21 PM
'sarp 'all
Canberra - Australia
Joined Mar 2003
336 Posts
nice wing ming!
I would have thought a three spar configuration in an A shape, like in the zagi 3c, would be better. But maybe you cant find CF spars that long?

Also, personaly i think the bigger the control serfaces the better... up to a point!
im thinking about double what you had in the picture.

very cool
VinceS is offline Find More Posts by VinceS
Old May 06, 2003, 01:50 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,221 Posts
I agree. Needs much larger control surfaces. And to get the best out of your flaps (and yes they'll most definitely be flaps given their short length and inboard location), bottom hinge them, and go for 90 degrees of throw.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2003, 02:07 AM
hemet/homeland/ slopers paridise
Joined Jul 2002
216 Posts
honostly i think those spars dont look like they will do anything but add oz's. they need to connect. looks cool though.
slopealot is offline Find More Posts by slopealot
Old May 06, 2003, 03:18 AM
Newberg, OR
Joined Feb 2003
74 Posts
slopealot: something to ponder. I disagree that his spar arrangement needs to connect the spars to increase stiffness. The two parralel spars esentially create a rectangular pocket of stout foam with two more spars extending out of this pocket. Considering stress points and displacement of force, I think his spar arrangement is not stiff enough to break but dramatically more stiff then straight EPP. Anyone else with any thoughts. Perhaps if Ollie combs the slope forum he will shed some light on the subject. I do however agree that Ming would benifit from longer spars along the span I have found on the wings they tend to get floppy the last few inches, or feet in this case!

NICE WING, I want one!

Alan
Jimmy Pop Ali is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Pop Ali
Old May 06, 2003, 03:19 AM
'sarp 'all
Canberra - Australia
Joined Mar 2003
336 Posts
I dont think they need to connect because the stiffness is there if the spars are there, but they need to be longer..

I've thought about this a bit and personaly i would stick the spars in the attached config... they need to be a lot longer
VinceS is offline Find More Posts by VinceS
Old May 06, 2003, 04:16 AM
Newberg, OR
Joined Feb 2003
74 Posts
Now that I think about it a little more I dont think he needs longer spars. The majority of flight stresses are centered and if you think about it the only real stresses to the wingtips are from cartwheeling in or hanger rash. Any stiffer in his center section and the tips would rip off. If he went any stiffer in that center section he would HAVE to have full length spars. I bet that as long as Ming is careful in transport and his wings dont warp when he covers them they will be fine and plenty stiff. If I ever build another wing I will build in spars to the tips no question. I think Mings arrangment is a winner as far as weight and strength are concerned.

Ming are you going to kit this plane? If so what will the cost be? Also would you kit it hot wire cut or molded?

Alan
Jimmy Pop Ali is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Pop Ali