SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:18 PM
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Sep 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Different manufacturers assign functions to different channels from each other. They have little to no interest in being compatible with each other. If they are compatible it is a lucky coincidence. Uisng the Spektrum TX with the Bind N'Fly planes works because they are all the same system. But using a different brand causes problems when the channels do not match up. If you had a regular RX, you could simply plug the servos into whichever channel works for that function. But with the integrated servo RX blocks you have a problem. Sorry.
Well thanks for the bad news I guess. The incompatibilities between Tx/Rx manufacturers is pretty irksome. Hopefully some open firmware delivers a solution.
eagsalazar is offline Find More Posts by eagsalazar
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2010, 02:53 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,130 Posts
My older Airtronics Infinity 6 channel TX has the throttle channel way out there on channel six. Makes for a PITA as you have to mix the throttle (chnl 6) to the AUX1 channel (chnl 4), which is the 4th channel on a typical 4 channel RX.
So this goes way back to when RC first started.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old May 16, 2010, 05:05 AM
TH9X Firmware: Thus NG
Joined Mar 2010
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagsalazar View Post
Well thanks for the bad news I guess. The incompatibilities between Tx/Rx manufacturers is pretty irksome. Hopefully some open firmware delivers a solution.
The firmware from Thus is already your solution
Promix is offline Find More Posts by Promix
Old May 18, 2010, 04:36 PM
Joined Jan 2010
116 Posts
Amp Draw

Can anyone tell me how many amps this TX will pull from a battery pack?
Thx1326 is offline Find More Posts by Thx1326
Old May 18, 2010, 08:12 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx1326 View Post
Can anyone tell me how many amps this TX will pull from a battery pack?
Rough guess: 250 mA or less (depends in part on what module you are using -- many of the new ones are very efficient).
EDIT: Wrong. More like 100 mA -- see below.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; May 18, 2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old May 18, 2010, 09:25 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,130 Posts
I think it probably pulls around 100ma or so. The alkaline dry cells last seemingly forever in them. I can run the alkaline batteries for a long time before I start to get nervous and change them out. But they still are working even then. I haven't bothered to put in rechargeable cells yet. I think the new low self discharge NMH cells is probably the way to go. You don't have to recharge them all the time.
Anyway, since the TX's have been so frugal on their power consumption, and running for a very long time, I have just gone ahead and used the alkaline batteries. I just carry extra ones in case I need them at the flying field.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2010, 10:49 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I think it probably pulls around 100ma or so.
You are absolutely right. I just measured mine at 50 mA without module. The Fly Dream module that I'll be using draws 40 mA. So in total we are below 100!

No wonder it runs forever on a 2000 mAh Eneloop pack. And it certainly makes you think about using 6 cells instead of 8 or a Li-Ion battery. Recognizing that this gets you into a bit of messing around to adjust the LV alarm.
Old May 19, 2010, 06:32 AM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Recognizing that this gets you into a bit of messing around to adjust the LV alarm.
And if you ever wish to begin messing around: http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/tendollarbattery.shtml
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old May 19, 2010, 06:43 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,130 Posts
The old AM/FM radio systems used to draw a lot more power. Maybe over 250mah or more in some cases. I remember my old TX's only getting four to six flights before the battery pack was low using 450mah nicads or even 600mah nicad packs. All freshly charged overnight for that day's flying.
But it is most interesting how the 2.4ghz spread spectrum systems can get long range flying with so little power being used to output a RF signal as compared to the older AM/FM systems.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2010, 06:47 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111 John View Post
And if you ever wish to begin messing around: http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/tendollarbattery.shtml
I have been using these twin Lithium batteries for nearly a year now and you don't really have to worry about a low voltage alarm since they run for about a day without recharging. I think they are also more secure as they don't have the multiple cell connections which I have known to fail in the past. Recommended.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old May 27, 2010, 01:40 PM
Joined Jan 2010
116 Posts
Reprogramming?

So... if I have an early FlySky TH9x (this is the original manufacturer) and I buy a newer Turnigy unit from Hobby King, can I download the newer Turnigy firmware and flash it to the FlySky so everything is updated?

If possible, could someone post the step by step instructions on how to do this? Or would someone here be willing to do it?

Help, please?
Old May 28, 2010, 12:42 PM
Joined Jan 2010
116 Posts
TH9x Upgradability??

This is a quote directly from FlySky that I received via e-Mail regarding the update and firmware revisions - why Turnigy is different than FlySky:

"I (tech from FlySky) just learned that Hobbyking bought a facility to update the software and firmware as you said. But in fact we (FlySky)have no the facility to deal with the problem."

So there you have it. FlySky (the OEM manufacturer) has no ability or plans to offer updates to the firmware, but Turnigy (HobbyKing) does. Looks like HobbyKing would be the dealer of choice for this TX. It would be interesting to know just HOW HobbyKing is doing this - what their procedure and physical connections to the receiver would be???
Old May 28, 2010, 02:21 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx1326 View Post
So... if I have an early FlySky TH9x (this is the original manufacturer) and I buy a newer Turnigy unit from Hobby King, can I download the newer Turnigy firmware and flash it to the FlySky so everything is updated?

If possible, could someone post the step by step instructions on how to do this? Or would someone here be willing to do it?

Help, please?
Quick answer: No. You can't download it (yet, anyway) and even if you could you'd need a way to inject the new firmware (that isn't built into the transmitter).

There's an extended discussion about this over on the other thread. It's a work in progress but looking very promising.
Old May 28, 2010, 04:44 PM
Joined Jan 2010
116 Posts
FlySky TH9x 9ch TX/RX/2.4ghz - New - $72 shipped

I have two of these Transmitter Packages for sale with 2.4ghz module and receiver - Never used - brand new in original boxes.

Each TX Package includes TX / 9Ch Receiver / 2.4Ghz Module / binding cable

$72.00 each includes shipping in the US.

Email me or PM me if you have questions.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 07:14 AM
Estonia
Joined May 2007
37 Posts
Little tip for those who want to use TH9X radio silently.
My radio will powerup in silent mode when using simulator cable or just dummy
3,5mm jack. (I have second branch firmware, D/R and EXP are working)

Poweroff your th9x radio, put 3,5mm jack into trainer port and radio will automatically powerup in simulator mode: tx module is not active and radio is entirely silent.
No annoying beeping sound when programming radio
mcmatrix is offline Find More Posts by mcmatrix
Last edited by mcmatrix; Jun 19, 2010 at 09:42 AM.