HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by cactus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:13 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2009
33 Posts
Nice Build

I think you've got a point with the low price heli. I just got into helis fairly recently but with my Swift I am very leery of just going out to fly. I fly my son's 500 size clone with it's really high headspeed and I am a bit intimidated. I have an old RTF Art-Tech Falcon 3D I bought off of eBay with a ton of parts that I am flying with a AR6100 on my DX6i. I fly it much better than I do the Swift or the 500 even though it does not fly nearly as well. I know I can afford the inevitable crashes. When I run out of Falcon parts I plan to order an HK450 so I can continue to build my skills on the cheap. This hobby is a lot more fun when you're not stressed out.
rreichar is offline Find More Posts by rreichar
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:45 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Good point about stressing out. This hobby is supposed to relieve stress!
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:48 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Flew 5 packs at the club field on Sat. Wind was 5-8mph and this guy flys very solid. I opened up the flight envelope for larger figure eights and it tracks very well in banked turns. Handles light to moderate wind very well.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:02 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Logged 4 more flights during lunch hours this week. Everything is holding up fine. Mainly smooth FF with some aggressive banked turns. Also working on autos from a few feet up. Wind was mild < 10mph.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:36 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
No changes. Setup is holding up well. Have logged 10 or so more flights.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:34 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
+15 more flights on a great setup!
Old Jun 08, 2010, 12:53 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2009
33 Posts
Hey Mike, how is the HK gyro working out? I had one on my old Art-Tech Falcon and kept having issues. I thought is was the gyro and took it off but it turned out to be a servo/tail gear thing. I was hoping to have an HK 450 put together by now but a run of expensive issues with my Swift has had me mostly grounded and broke. I am thinking about the 450 Pro with the belt drive. I am tired of little tail gears.
Old Jun 08, 2010, 09:29 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
The gyro is holding up great for my flying to date. I get allot of practice with the 450 and the Swift. Both are solid and reliable and I am getting to the point where I can fly and have fun without worry. I am not doing any 3D, nor will I anytime soon. My flying style is high-speed smooth banked flight more like scale I guess.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 12:30 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2009
33 Posts
Scale Flying

I don't do any intentional 3D either. Really not even on the sim. My 10 year old is a 3D god on the computer. In real life I am a little better than him. I can fly around a bit.He never practices things like circuits and landings. I like the way the scale guys fly but I don't know that I would ever have the patience for all the fiddly building that they do. A pod and boom heli is so much easier to work on. Ever once and a while I take a look at Peter Wales scale heli site : http://scalehelicopters.org/ I went to the Austin funfly in April and saw several Pros, and a few guys that think they are pros, fly some crazy 3D. I was most impressed with Curtis Younglbood who did the 3D but also did a lot of big moves and an auto from so high I could not see his Rave 90 anymore. Very nice guy too. I did a nice hi def video of Curtis but another guy had a similar HD camcorder to mine but his newer model has a viewfinder. I kept losing the heli on the LCD screen in the noon sun. Watch the good one the other guy did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tRxP...os=LS9JP5rQp5M I am a long way from Curtis as a flyer and Peter Wales as a builder. I just try to do what I like to do which is mostly fly around without crashing and getting a little better each time. I need a 450 so that I won't be so grounded as a result of a mistake. I can get most 450 parts locally. My Swift has been down over 2 weeks. It will be very much a new machine when it flies again. I have most of the parts for a 450 except the actual kit. Am also considering an EXI 450 Pro belt model. My son's EXI 500 has been mostly great. And shipping is much cheaper and faster. I do love the Hobby City guys and will continue to buy a lot of stuff there. Good luck on the flying. I bet this is the perfect time to be flying in Durango. Our wind has settled own a bit but it is getting hot. We have hit 100 yet but any day now.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 09:26 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Nice event, looked like fun to be there and watch. Having both a 450 and the Swift has been nice. The 450 can fly in places my Swift would be too large for yet still handle a breeze and fly nice and stable. The way I have mine setup enables me to build confidence and work on smooth controlled flight in all directions and orientations. I'm not in a hurry to push myself into advanced level stuff until I MASTER all intermediate level skills first. On the sim I am working on inverted hover and backwards flight, but it will be a long time before I translate that to real life. I am also working on my 3D airplane skills of which I have had some success translating to real life. I like smooth precision flying in contrast to extreme stick banging.

I know some guys that can do great 3D heli flying on a sim but cannot even execute a smooth circuit or figure eight in real life. Not for me..

My favorite moves I like to see are inverted backwards high speed flight and funnels. My least favorite moves to watch are piro flips. Inverted harriers are my favorite move on airplanes.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:23 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I tried a larger lipo today to see how it would handle. I had two zippy 3s 3000 mah packs charged for my extra 300 and could not fly due to weather. I tried one on the 450 mt and got over 9 mins and I did not notice the extra weight. I think I will use them (4) for practice flights.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 03:29 PM
Molon Labe
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
Are you using the blades that come with the heli? If so, how have they held up?
BpPilot is offline Find More Posts by BpPilot
Old Jun 13, 2010, 05:35 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I am not using the stock blades. I use these...325mm Carbon Fiber Main Blade Yellow
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:11 AM
Molon Labe
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
I am not using the stock blades. I use these...325mm Carbon Fiber Main Blade Yellow
Ok, ive heard that the ones that come w the kit are only good as paint sticks... I just ordered a GT and got about 5 pairs of these fg blades http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...in_Blade_325mm
I figure for the price, i can afford to learn how to fly w em...
BpPilot is offline Find More Posts by BpPilot
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:28 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Let me know how they turn out. If you can get them balanced up good they will prob do just fine. For me it was important to get this bird simple and as cheap as I can go with good performance and it so far it has exceeded my expectations! It is enjoyable to fly.