HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by cactus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:45 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Nearly Complete

With only a small list of things to do, I will be ready for a power up test followed by a hover test with the Eagle Tree eLogger.

Items left:
- Secure tail boom linkage guides
- Tidy up wiring for gyro once it is setup
- Secure landing skids in supports so they stop moving around.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:56 AM
Norfolk, Va
Joined May 2006
2,285 Posts
Found your build from the HK450 thread.
Looks nice.
I too found the swash to be junk and am almost relieved I'm not the only person having the asymmetrical pitch problem. Please post how you resolve it. I'm about ready to just forget it and eyeball the setup.
fr4nk1yn is offline Find More Posts by fr4nk1yn
Old Dec 29, 2009, 09:22 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiseryQ View Post
Found your build from the HK450 thread.
Looks nice.
I too found the swash to be junk and am almost relieved I'm not the only person having the asymmetrical pitch problem. Please post how you resolve it. I'm about ready to just forget it and eyeball the setup.
I really don't see what else I can do at this point to get a symmetrical pitch range mechanically. I have checked the link dimensions with a digital caliper and I am less than a mm off what the SE manual recommends. I ended up just dialing in the range I need for each mode with the pitch curve in the radio. I'm a long way from trying any 3D, but am looking for a decent sport flying setup. I already know how to fly, so I need to work on getting it dialed in like I want.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:46 AM
Norfolk, Va
Joined May 2006
2,285 Posts
It's a very annoying issue for sure. Good Luck.

-edit: Here's something to try:
Decrease the pitch% in the TX and see if the +/- pitch ranges gets closer.
With help I found that I could lower my % and get +6/-6.
The fix was to use a longer arm on the servos.
Not long enough for me as I was only able to get +8/-7 but that's much better than before.

Hope that helps you.
fr4nk1yn is offline Find More Posts by fr4nk1yn
Last edited by fr4nk1yn; Dec 30, 2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 11:23 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Had a successful test hop this morning. Not much space to test in (6x6ft area) in garage, but it was very controllable and seemed smooth. I need to put the eLogger on it to check amps and head speed next. Gyro was not working right on my first test outside a few nights ago, but it did not have a chance to stabilize for temp and it was reversed. I flipped the Rev direction on the gyro and it worked correctly. Still need more test hovers to get the gain dialed in.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 02:57 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Update

I'm trying different blades now. Will post my results once I get more tests done.

HK Carbon Fiber Blades 325mm

I was getting a strange wobble that built up from the training gear at certain headspeeds, so I removed them and will test to see if it was resonance from the t-gear or not.

My HXT900 servo is working ok with the HK401b gyro, but I have an MKS 480 digital ready to go in if I encounter any issues with the tail holding.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:36 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
HK carbon blades are working great and are much smoother than the stock blades. Hovered 8+ mins with no vibs after removing the t-gear.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 05:59 PM
Fix, Fix, Fly, Fix, Fix, Fly
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
Nice build! I read that the wires on the HXT900 servos were too short for a 450 size heli, any problems? What tail servo did you end up using?

Can't wait to see it fly!

Ethan
mountainsax is offline Find More Posts by mountainsax
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:25 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I still have the htx900 servo on the tail, but will replace it with a digital soon. The leads on mine where too long!
Old Mar 02, 2010, 03:04 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
More test hovers and it is running smooth. Hope to get some outdoor flights in soon as it is getting warmer.
Old Apr 03, 2010, 05:41 PM
Molon Labe
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
This has really been a helpful thread. Im thinking of building up a HK-450 MT. This will be my first cp heli so ive been reading up a lot on the build and what parts to use. Do you by any chance have any experience w this gyro?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10113
Ive read to not get a cheap gyro but i really dont want to spend much on this bird. Thanks.
BpPilot is offline Find More Posts by BpPilot
Old Apr 03, 2010, 08:34 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I am using that one now on this heli with the Turnegy 480 digital servo. Working good for my basic skill level.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 04:42 PM
Molon Labe
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
I am using that one now on this heli with the Turnegy 480 digital servo. Working good for my basic skill level.
I think i have seen some people using the hxt900. Would u recomend the one you are using over the 900 for the tail?
BpPilot is offline Find More Posts by BpPilot
Old Apr 04, 2010, 10:10 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpPilot View Post
I think i have seen some people using the hxt900. Would u recomend the one you are using over the 900 for the tail?
I started with the basic htx900 servo on the tail with about 60% delay and for the test hops I did with it I thought it was fine.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 10:22 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Flight Update

I did some mild forward flight (lazy eights) in the cul-de-sac this afternoon. Three packs back to back. I am more and more impressed with this heli as time goes by. I am stunned by how stable it is and it tracks well in turns. It does not have the tendency to roll out of control and when I do over control or shake my hands it is docile and stays in control. This heli is just what I needed to get back into helis without stress over an expensive model to hinder my progress.

I believe there is a relation between price and stress free enjoyment for me!

Several things that I think contribute to this success:
- Low price ;-)
- Careful build, make sure everything is balanced and level swash.
- Flybar weights all the way out.
- 80% dual rate on ELEV and AILE with +20 expo on the Dx7