HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2009, 02:23 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,111 Posts
Yippee!
Jimmy J-Flyers "J-Bug" My own front yard flyer...RET Old Timer style, Plans & Video.

One of the things a lot of folks seem to share is the need to be able to fly out in the front yard. Some folks like the crazy coo coo flying of 3D, the almost as coo coo flying of fun RET’s such as Goldguy’s Nutball. I fall into that category also. And then folks who like a nice lazy flyer that doesn’t need constant attention on the sticks like Magic612’s BYOB.
Well with all the help folks here have given me in the last 11 months I have been able to learn how to fly and actual learn how these planes actually fly and have designed & built my own. YAY.

I bring you the J-Bug.

EDIT: Video taken 12/17/09 by Springer and currently going through editing. Will be up soon. Thanks Mike!

12/19/09...here's the vid! Thanks a ton Mike!....(edit, why didn't someone tell me I had 12/19/08 typed in there!

Jimmy JFlyer's J-Bug Indoor Foamy floater (4 min 10 sec)

2/20/10...This vid shows it all, slow lvl flight, loops, great rate of climb, hover, harrier and some flight just keeping it in the driveway! My favorite frt yard flyer bar none!
Front yard flyin' J-Bug (7 min 56 sec)

EDIT: Plans added to this post. Thanks Springer!
136% plans added for about a 30" W/S. Thanks Bill !
36" W/S plans added. Thanks to Larryross!
Also, pic of Ken's version with a much needed change to the landing gear being attached to the firewall instead of criss crossing through the fuse.
UPDATE Following link is to page 14 for Ken's awesome firewall mounted LG. Post 198.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...151461&page=14

Unfortunately, I don't know how to insert pics in text so all the pics are below.

This is my shot at creating a plane that will fly slowly in small spaces and do so in a gentle manner without having to either hover or harrier and require constant attention on the sticks.
The J-Bug is constructed of 3mm depron for the wing & tail feathers and rr fuse doubler, and the fuse is plane ol’ FFF with the skin peeled off.
Credit for some of this design has to go to Stevens Aeromodel. Those familiar with their Diddlebug series will recognize the wing & t-feathers as it is from the MudBug.
I originally intended on just redoing that little Balsa wonder out of 3mm depron.
I looked at reviews & just did the “TLAR” method and drew out plans based on w/s & length. The fuse was on its way to being done but unfortunately I misaligned it during the gluing process & that was all she wrote.

I decided I just had to do something with the wing since it was already formed so I just figured on a profile fuse with FFF. I love the look of the Ol’ Timer Free Flight planes from days gone way by. That’s where the style came from.
It is a pretty simple build.
Wing is cold rolled and halve’s glued with an eyeballed amount of dihedral.
EDIT: She measured 1.5" each tip.
Since I don’t have, nor can afford actual micro lightweight gear I needed to keep the airframe as light as possible.
No wooden dowels or cf rods as stiffeners in the fuse, wing, or control surfaces. However, the design did need cf for wing struts. I also used the same super skinny cf for landing gear. Disclaimer, the landing gear as I have it built on this guy will NOT stand up to landing on the grass or a nose in. It WILL fold backwards. Ask me how I know.

The gear is as follows.
10g 1811 2000 kv from HK.
HS 05s rx
HKSS 8-10 amp esc
3.6g no name servos
Rhino 360 2s batt
6x3 prop
AUW with batt is 98.8g’s or about 3.5 oz’s. This actually is more than ½ oz over my target weight but this was also a use what ya got venture so it will have to do.
Using lighter gear, 5g motor and 1s and this guy should easily come in at well under 3oz for the ultimate in float flying. Just no sneezing in its direction as you will blow it over!

Flight report.
The maiden shocked me. This guy was a dream right from the first hand launch. After getting her trimmed, it is slow and hands off. Cut power & she glides in for a nice easy landing. So now I tried ROG. With a quick push of the throttle she jumps up immediately.
Here’s the cool part. This plane is still very light and also has a very high lift airfoil. Add to that over powering the plane with 2s & a 10g motor and yeah man! Climbing is so effortless at anything over 50% throttle. If not for the airfoil & general set up of the airframe, she would probably go vertical no problem.
EDIT: I have since proven she will go vert, from a drop. It was either try it or hit the van. Straight up she went.
I hit the throttle hard to try a loop and she looped & was already over before I knew what happened. It is powerful enough to hover & harrier. Yes I couldn’t resist. But did it down low & of course nosed her in & broke the motor mount off. Some hot glue & a bit of weight later and she was good as new.
I would say this plane flies like a mini version of GPW’s T1 and without getting fast or twitchy due to getting so much smaller.

Guys, this is a gentle and slow flyer and I could not be more pleased. It is now my favorite build.
Ken, aka dz1sfb has generously offered to help me with plans if anyone is interested and I will try to get video soon as possible. I don’t have a recorder but know folks who do. Springer has offered to do cameraman duties so may be sooner if we can find time to hook up.

Now for the appreciation portion of this thread.

I owe huge thanks to all the RCG members that have helped this newb get through newb status.
From the folks that gave me such great deals on my first gear to get me going, to the SEMFFer’s (bz1mcr, dz1sfb, Springer, you guys are the best!)that took me under their wing. To the great mad scientists designing the planes I have had such fun flying & learning on, cough cough, GPW, cough cough. You have all been great. Thank you so much for helping me to learn how to build & fly and have the most fun a kid, er, um I mean an adult can have.

Again, plans and vids to come if there is an interest. Well, plans are coming regardless. Just gotta get them worked out.

Thanks for looking folks.
TTFN
Jimmy
Jimmy JFlyer is online now Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Last edited by Jimmy JFlyer; Feb 21, 2010 at 07:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2009, 02:33 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,243 Posts
Nice Jimmy!!! I like slow flyers.

Bring on the plans. There is interest for sure!!!!
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Dec 01, 2009, 03:05 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer View Post
I love the look of the Ol’ Timer Free Flight planes from days gone way by. That’s where the style came from.
LOL I must have read your mind Jimmy when I posted over in the T1 thread! I love "old school" planes! I would love to build one of these but I might have to size it up a little because I just get too jittery building with such small gear. That is an awesome looking plane though and I'm glad it turned out like you wanted it to. I will *definitely* add these plans to my "to build" list once you get 'em posted. Good job!

Pat
JohnsPop is online now Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Dec 01, 2009, 03:16 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,111 Posts
Dalton... thx man. Yup, plans are in the works. Might be a few though. RL seems to keep getting in the way. I was going to wait to post the thread until I had em ready but just couldn't wait.

Pat... LOL I was laughing to myself when I read your post in the T1 thread.
I agree that building the wee bitties is a different experience for sure.
But man is it fun to fly.

Thx for the good words guys!
Old Dec 01, 2009, 03:31 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
Perty cool man! I like the design.
inline300 is offline Find More Posts by inline300
Old Dec 01, 2009, 04:04 PM
Sarasota, FL
Joined May 2009
1,029 Posts
Thats a great design! I wish someone would put that plane in tiled A6 or letter sized.
I want to build it !
Great job!
bsfixit is offline Find More Posts by bsfixit
Old Dec 01, 2009, 04:36 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,111 Posts
Thx Inline300 & bsfixit!

Plans will be coming. Just gotta get em worked out.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 04:58 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
you know you gotta do a kfm4 sport wing with ailerons, now, its rcg tradition. move the rudder servo to aileron duty and fix the rudder.
inline300 is offline Find More Posts by inline300
Old Dec 01, 2009, 05:01 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,111 Posts
hahaha. Inline300. I wondered how long it would be before an aileron suggestion came up.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 05:10 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,272 Posts
Great little bird Jimmy. I've been looking for something small to build for the front yard. Just ordered a small power system and servos. Your timing is perfect. Am anxiously awaiting the plans.
Rick
fuzzyhead is online now Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Dec 01, 2009, 08:31 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,111 Posts
Now I'm starting to feel bad for getting this out there without plans being done yet.

Rick, I'm glad you like the plane. With a nice micro power system it is a wonderful floater.

Here's the scoop with plans...
I basically TLAR'd the wing & tail feathers from looking at the review here for Steven Aeromodel's Mudbug. I have those drawn out on paper as the wing halves will each fit on 1 piece of 8x11 paper. Same with the vert & hrz stabs.
The fuse was drawn free hand on 2 pieces of paper taped together for length.

I just need to find my original template cut outs & redraw them in either Sketchup or something similar. I'll enlist the expertise of dz1sfb to get them in plan form on pdf. Should be easy to do both tiled and full sheet as the parts count is pretty low.
Just uses FFF for the fuse & 3mm depron for everything else.
I'll try to get this together by the weekend.

I posted a lot today as I was home sick from work.
But back to making the dough nutz tomorrow.

Sorry for the wait folks but I'll get it done as soon as I can.

For those wanting plans, I thank you in advance for being patient.

Thx to all for checking out my thread and my labor of love.

TTFN
Jimmy
Old Dec 01, 2009, 08:39 PM
MacBeth, SC
Joined Aug 2007
899 Posts
Hey Jimmy,

You done good buddy! LOL! I like it a lot. It has obvious charactor and from your
description flies like a dream. I like your idea of a laid back slow flier. I'll be anxiously
awaiting your plans. I think I'd like a little larger one with a blue wonder. I'll fly it in
my backyard. It's bigger! LOL! Thanks for a very appealing design. Warm regards,
Jim
Jim Hatch is offline Find More Posts by Jim Hatch
Old Dec 01, 2009, 08:51 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,553 Posts
Jim: As simple as it is, i'd expect we could get it together into plans in an evening. Wanna come over on way home from work with your sketches? we can scan them and plug into sketchup pretty fast. Might even be able to get some vid in the barnyard light if the wind's calm (usually is after dark). I'm available both tomorrow (wed) and thur pm's.

mike
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2009, 08:53 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,386 Posts
Subscribed Jimmy, and waiting to help with plans if needed.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:18 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,111 Posts
Found my orig templates!

Wow guys, this is awesome. I am very happy to see the interest in my design.
Ken, you were right. Show it & folks will want to build it.
I am very humbled as well. It'll be a great honor to give folks a design that will bring smiles.

Jim...thx for the kind words man. I too wondered about using a BW on a bigger version. It would need some stiffening though. This fuse, as skinny as it is, works out nice but only because it is so light. Probably will need something more for a bigger version. It's the wing. Big wing area and real nice slow flyer high lift airfoil. But that BW with a slow fly prop on 2s, yeah a 30 incher or so would be a real float machine I would think.

I ran downstairs and started digging through the junk pile & found my cut outs!
I was worried the basement clutter had eaten them as it has been a while since I first cut em out.
Took a pic. Doublers were just measured on the foam and cut. Will be easy to draw them up for plans.

Mike... Not sure, but am thinking Thur night. Gotta talk it over with the missus. But definitely I'll stop by. Now that I have the cutouts, should be easy.

Ken... thx for the help. We'll see how it goes at Mike's with Sketchup. These will be my first ever made plans so no idea what I am doing from this point.
I know between yourself & Mike, I'll have plans and a vid up here soon.

Again guys, you are all great and now I am all mushy inside and need to go hug my wife!