SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2010, 02:39 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
They look good Rich. That looks like a Hyperion motor. Which plane is that a photo of? I assume it isn't the EF Extra because you've got a Torque motor for that right, or is a Hyperion motor the recommended motor?
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2010, 02:42 AM
Aussie 3DHS Addict :-)
Port Denison, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,629 Posts
Thats the EF Extra Scott , i got the hyperion motor for it , its the same spec's , size etc as the Torque but 1/2 the price
WOOSHKA is offline Find More Posts by WOOSHKA
Old Sep 03, 2010, 04:10 AM
72" of flying, flying, flying
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
2,108 Posts
Took my $99 Buck Huck down the park this afternoon for a bit of fun:-

3DHS 41" Edge 540 - Aerobatics (3 min 30 sec)
Aussie_Toyman is online now Find More Posts by Aussie_Toyman
Old Sep 04, 2010, 04:55 AM
Joined Jul 2005
1,629 Posts
Had some time to do a quick motor test on the EF Extra , getting just over 1000 watts on 5s and i haven't charged the battery yet , should be sufficient

Still haven't got my servos for the little edge yet AT , so nothing happening there
Last edited by WOOSHKA; Sep 05, 2010 at 04:19 AM. Reason: pics added
Old Sep 09, 2010, 02:37 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Lookin' good AT and WOOSHKA.

The Aussie Extreme Flight reseller just got a shipment of Extreme Flight kits. The now have the 48" Extra, Edge and MXS in stock.

http://shop.desertaircraft.com.au/catalogue/c124

nac and I have each ordered an MXS. Awesome .
Old Sep 09, 2010, 02:59 AM
Joined Jul 2005
1,629 Posts
More temptation , just what we need
Old Sep 09, 2010, 03:46 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Which one of you guys was saying something like " I got plane xx and I sold my PA Katana (or extra 260) since I wasn't flying it anymore?". I have a feeling it was WOOSHKA or Grizzly Matt.

I've got a thing for Katanas and I'm still tempted to get a green PA Katana MD, but I know it's a 3 year old design and I wonder if some of my recent purchases like the Extreme Flight Edge 540T EXP or the 3DHS Vyper, VR-1 etc. have surpassed it so that I don't enjoy it. Having said that, 2 of my favourite foamies are my Copperhead Extra Stiffy and Yak Stiffy. They're years old and people continually said the Airfoilz (depron and wood) planes fly better but I love my Stiffies so maybe a PA Katana MD is still something I would enjoy. Please help me out guys. Thanks.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 04:08 AM
Joined Jul 2005
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Which one of you guys was saying something like " I got plane xx and I sold my PA Katana (or extra 260) since I wasn't flying it anymore?". I have a feeling it was WOOSHKA or Grizzly Matt.
I think that was both of us mate , actually thinking about selling my Addiction , due to our wind here , its hard to get a day when you can fly it without getting blown all over the place
Similar to you i give my Rc Factory Yak and the Flash a real hammering all the time
They get used for the warm up before the 3DH stuff comes out
Old Sep 09, 2010, 09:57 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
2,108 Posts
My 3DHS 41" Edge is my warm-up plane, and the EPP 'floppy extra' is the cool-down plane .

I was waiting for either the 51" Fantasy Slick or 48" EF Extra to come back into stock, and gave up and bought an Aurora 9 instead.... its' just like ordering from HK, you know the day after you place your order, the 'out of stock' items will come in .
Old Sep 09, 2010, 05:26 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
I've got a thing for Katanas and I'm still tempted to get a green PA Katana MD, but I know it's a 3 year old design and I wonder if some of my recent purchases like the Extreme Flight Edge 540T EXP or the 3DHS Vyper, VR-1 etc. have surpassed it so that I don't enjoy it.
The KMD will be lighter and floatier than the other EF and 3DHS planes and so make slow 3d a bit easier. It has a longer tail moment than the PA Extra 260 so hovers and harriers a bit easier than it and also tracks well in precision type flying. As far as being a 3 year old design I don't think it's a problem, it's only been in the last 6 months to a year that other manufacturers have started using techniques used on this plane from it's inception.

One of PA's Team Pilots just released a new video of the KMD which is actually my favourite video of it from all of them.

Big Fun with the Katana MD (4 min 33 sec)

Anyway's maybe it fill a gap in your hangar.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Sep 09, 2010, 05:31 PM
3DHS Addict DownUnder
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Aug 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Toyman View Post
My 3DHS 41" Edge is my warm-up plane, and the EPP 'floppy extra' is the cool-down plane .

I was waiting for either the 51" Fantasy Slick or 48" EF Extra to come back into stock, and gave up and bought an Aurora 9 instead.... its' just like ordering from HK, you know the day after you place your order, the 'out of stock' items will come in .
Aussie, why the change to the A9. I assume that you were on Spektrum in the past. I know alot of the 3DHS guys in the states are switiching over to the A9. The built in telemetery is pretty impressive i recon. I think you should just buy a fantasy slick anyway
grizzlymatt is offline Find More Posts by grizzlymatt
Old Sep 09, 2010, 07:24 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
2,108 Posts
That was a pretty good video Mr K. Whilst I was watching I was thinking " I've seen Mr K doing that", but then he ended up on his wheels instead of canopy .

Grizzly, I was using an Optic 6 with an Assan Module in it and never had a problem flying with it, no glitches, no brownouts, nothing.

The only problem was I needed a 6ch Tx to use in Buddy mode as the Optic 6 does something different in Buddy mode with the Assan module.

So now Mrs Toyman gets the Optic 6 so she can learn to fly, and I have to wait a while before I can buy my next plane.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 08:13 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,392 Posts
Quote:
That was a pretty good video Mr K. Whilst I was watching I was thinking " I've seen Mr K doing that", but then he ended up on his wheels instead of canopy .
Cheeky bastard!

Quote:
So now Mrs Toyman gets the Optic 6 so she can learn to fly, and I have to wait a while before I can buy my next plane.
Do the buddybox thing. It's a great safe way for learners. I've been doing it with my daughter on the slope for months now and she loves it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2010, 08:40 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Thanks for your response Mr K. I've seen mtwargo's video and I like it, but I prefer Flopgun's Fall of Katana video which has excellent flying, great video quality and good music too .

I suspect your comment about the 3 year old design is focusing on the CF structure. What I actually mean is the flight characteristics. I've sene posts in the past where people have found 3DHS and EF planes to fly better for their style. 3DHS for instance have released many planes in the last 3 years and users say the designs improve in each iteration. PA's Katana is an old design compared to the other offerings and I wonder if the benchmark has moved forward far enough such that I might find the Katana is less enjoyable.

I'm still undecided about the plane. Does anyone else have any views to share?
Old Sep 09, 2010, 09:51 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,392 Posts
Yeah I guess you may be right. I guess it depends on how many changes are actually made. Changing the foil or going to airfoil tail surfaces you would notice a difference that's for sure.

Anyways you asked about the KMD was just giving my thoughts on it.
RCG Plus Member