HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:37 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,532 Posts
anyone flying the AJ Slick on epower ? Got to fly one last week on a DLE55cc and it was a beast ! rock solid harriers and hovers almost hands off... i want one ! Having flown a few AMRs I am glad i have one ready to put together ! Loverly 3D beast.
OzparkPilot is online now Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:52 PM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,938 Posts
How did the guy manage to get it on our Shores BingWing?

Clintski- Im using an Ewatts 40 amp ESC. I have run it at 450 watts before and its never had issues so its surprising to hear an ESC rated for 45 amps continuous will have trouble doing 45 amps in bursts. Have you contacted PA? Aren't they meant to have 2 year warranties on their products?

BTW it may well be thermal protection cutting in. I know my Hyperion Atlas does that- I thought I hit LVC only to find ESC was too hot to touch. Let it cool and off it went again.

I placed my 40 amp speedie inside the motor box of the AMR, in the second section of the box behind the motor- I figure with those scoops, the air will cool the motor and run out the back- directly into the ESC.
maiden-crash is offline Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Old Dec 01, 2009, 10:01 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing View Post
anyone flying the AJ Slick on epower ? Got to fly one last week on a DLE55cc and it was a beast ! rock solid harriers and hovers almost hands off... i want one ! Having flown a few AMRs I am glad i have one ready to put together ! Loverly 3D beast.
Fitzy Funjet over in the Flying in the Sydney Area This Weekend thread has the 70 inch flying on Epower.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Dec 01, 2009, 10:02 PM
3DHS Addict DownUnder
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Aug 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing View Post
Mate I have the 3DHS 51" and 42" Slicks.
I only had a couple of flights on the 42" before i busted the landing gear , so its been off the flying list until now as I just replaced the landing gear.

Building the 51" atm waiting on the power system to come from the US.

Powering it on a Hacker A30-12XL.

The 42" flys nice , really wanting to get it into the air again btu the wind is not playing the game.
grizzlymatt is offline Find More Posts by grizzlymatt
Old Dec 01, 2009, 10:10 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,532 Posts
Must of drop shipped it me thinks ? Funny that 3DHS don't have an Ozi dealer. They would kill it over here as its very popular in the states. There is a guy ( capt norway ) with the 126` slick on epower ! Thats almost half scale. Would love to turn up at the park with that ! ( start the hate....NOW ! lol )
Old Dec 01, 2009, 10:44 PM
Aussie 3DHS Addict :-)
Port Denison, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,631 Posts
Plenty of people have looked into being agents here for the 3DHS planes , but when you need to buy a shipping container full , it gets a bit dear
WOOSHKA is offline Find More Posts by WOOSHKA
Old Dec 01, 2009, 10:49 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,532 Posts
You too lol !! Yeah, I looked into it but 300 Afs just is not going to be easy to hide from my wife....
Old Dec 01, 2009, 10:59 PM
3DHS Addict DownUnder
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Aug 2004
806 Posts
They quoted me between 800 to 1000 kits of various sizes to fill a container
Old Dec 01, 2009, 11:02 PM
VH-SJT
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2008
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlymatt View Post
They quoted me between 800 to 1000 kits of various sizes to fill a container
But that would only feed your own addiction, if you wanted to sell any you'd need at least two containers
Andrew86 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew86
Old Dec 01, 2009, 11:03 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,532 Posts
Then my quote of 300 was not to bad lol...
Old Dec 02, 2009, 01:48 AM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,938 Posts
Hey fellas. Im back from flying with the AMR. Mid range throttle was better and punch out was better, but it lacked top end speed. Nothing special. Rolled a bit better, finally flat-spinned better etc. Not as wild as I was expecting/ hoping for. The AMR flies more like a foamy then a balsa plane- very very floaty. Hovered and harriered like a foamy, great rollers. Then went for a half throttle blender. Prop flew off, and the slight change in CG due to that made it hard to land, but I managed to, losing only the tail wheel. There was damage to the rudder, due to the prop hitting it. Prop might have actually stayed on, had the shaft actually extended past the front of the cowling...

Its a nice plane, but I was expecting a little more TBH. It was not as wild as I was expecting either. Im keeping it as a "pretty" flyer but won't be doing anything to silly with it anymore.

Cheers
MC

PS Clintski- I got the same motor cutting to half thing. Only my ESC wasn't that hot... It cut to half during WOT level.
maiden-crash is offline Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Last edited by maiden-crash; Dec 02, 2009 at 02:01 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 01:54 AM
Joined Dec 2006
162 Posts
thats a shame to hear mc,

was practicing my torque rolling in the park before the most i got in one cosecutive torque rolling was 4.
sims really helped alot with that.
and MC.
even if it were raining daggers....id still fly :P
dabvid is offline Find More Posts by dabvid
Old Dec 02, 2009, 02:16 AM
Registered Abuser
Purf, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jan 2008
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden-crash View Post
How did the guy manage to get it on our Shores BingWing?

Clintski- Im using an Ewatts 40 amp ESC. I have run it at 450 watts before and its never had issues so its surprising to hear an ESC rated for 45 amps continuous will have trouble doing 45 amps in bursts. Have you contacted PA? Aren't they meant to have 2 year warranties on their products?

BTW it may well be thermal protection cutting in. I know my Hyperion Atlas does that- I thought I hit LVC only to find ESC was too hot to touch. Let it cool and off it went again.

I placed my 40 amp speedie inside the motor box of the AMR, in the second section of the box behind the motor- I figure with those scoops, the air will cool the motor and run out the back- directly into the ESC.

I've got one of those ewatts 40amp speedies too. Been running 40amp+ bursts with it for years.

Yes have spoken to PA and judging by what I have noticed we think it is likely the thermal protection cutting in.
I'll get some inflight temps with the Eagle Tree and we'll see for sure. I can fly it safely as the ESC reduces power to 50% when it kicks in, it doesn't cut out completely. If I fly higher i'm sure I will be fine.
I'll then run the speedy in the position you run yours and see if there is an impovement in the temps as I think that spot has better for cooling for sure.
PA are happy to replace it if its faulty.
clintski is offline Find More Posts by clintski
Old Dec 02, 2009, 03:28 AM
3DHS Addict DownUnder
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Aug 2004
806 Posts
Andrew
Pictures of the Edge as requested. This is with Rob from ADC vinyl kit.
The do come with standard decals but these look sweet.
He also does a lighter version for those concerned about weight, they are cheaper as well too.

Couple of Eagle tree session with the power system from the little Edge i think it has more then enough power.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 03:42 AM
VH-SJT
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2008
407 Posts
Great looking plane matt, the decals do make it look sweet. That thing really pumps out the watts by the look of those graphs too, very nice.

The wait for the mail man to come is going to be a long one I fear

Cheers
Andrew86 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew86