HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2009, 08:39 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,549 Posts
Thanks, The tires are older off-road buggy fronts, they have a cross tread pattern used Imex rims with a 5 bolt pattern, 3-48 nut and bolt, with the nut on the out side. Some day I'll make hub caps. The rims scale out to 14 inch and the tires would be scale hight and width. I don't know if they still make the rims and I know the tires haven't been made in about 15 years.
I'll take pictures this week end. I'm off Mon. so Tues. I'll post.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2009, 07:55 AM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,549 Posts
Well as promised I took a few pic's. I opened the Amphicar. It uses 3 380 motors. The wheel drive motor is a cobalt, through a 3:1 airplane gear box to a 10:1 belt drive on the wheels. The prop motors are 385 train motors through 2:1 gearing. the prop speed control (1x1/4x1.2 in.)is forward only and is on the left side next to the prop motors. The wheel speed control (1x1x5/8 in.) is on the right side right behind the wheel motor. All other electronics are in the nose. This includes the Seeker II 8 ch receiver, the flasher unit for the turn signals, the voltage regulator for the head lights (a pair of Mag Lights with 3 volt Krypton bulbs, run in series at 5 volts), the steering servo with the turn signal switching, 1 micro servo to control head/tail lights - running lights - horn, 1 micro servo to control the roof up/down, 1 modified servo for the windshield wipers, and the radio battery.
Last edited by GILL RC; Dec 08, 2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2009, 12:04 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,315 Posts
Too cool. I'm amazed at how correct the bodywork looks... more complicated than shaping most boat hulls!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Dec 09, 2009, 03:10 PM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,549 Posts
Thanks, I had some good pic's I took of car that was about 6 blocks from me. The owner was real nice and I crawled all over it with the camera and a tape measure. A year later he sold it, I almost bought it, not a very good commuter car. But I was able to drive it in and out of the water. I've always liked them. When I was getting my first new car I almost got an Amphií But didnít want to spend the extra money for the boat lights and lic.
The body is balsa and ply. The tail light lens are made from a clear red tooth brush handle. The head lights are the small Mag lites, I was lucky they scaled out. I scanned the inspection stiicker off my full size car, the same with the N.J. boat lic. sticker.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 03:13 PM
Vestby, Akershus, Norway
Joined Mar 2005
95 Posts
By the way! If you read this Santa, I have been very a good boy the last year and I would like to get the complete Loyalhanna Dukw kit under the christmastree. If I don't get it, then I don't know if I can be a very nice boy the following year, so please take this as a caution!

If you manage to make the Amphicar into a kit, I would not be angry with you if I get that too. It's a very nice model, the builder must be a very good builder to manage to get such a nice result!

Thank you Santa
From Norway
-Kjell

ps. You can find my adress in that angry letter I sent you last january when you didn't get me the Schnellboot kit, I had to buy it myself....
PunyV is offline Find More Posts by PunyV
Old Dec 10, 2009, 03:19 PM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,549 Posts
PunyV if you would like to see some of the other models including a few videos www.jsgill.net
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:46 PM
merseyside
Joined Aug 2007
26 Posts
dukw model check out

if you could get the model boats magazine the january 2010 edition
there is a full article onthe build and motor setup for a scratch build
working amphibious dukw called the demob duck it is styled on the
original dukw to get the the magazine go to www.modelboats co.uk
for help it looks the biz also deans marine used to do a kit in the uk
hope this helps mick