Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 29, 2009, 03:49 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,142 Posts
Discussion
Anyone remember this one???

Hi, I have been ratting through some of my junk and came across this lovely but very rare old beast from the 1970s. It was my main contest model back then and could out perform the Aquilas and the likes very convincingly.
124 inch span.

Can anyone name it?? or remember flying one??

This one is getting a birthday and will make a great electric conversion I'm thinking. Those big wing panels are just 6.5 ozs each uncovered.

Allan
AllanK1 is offline Find More Posts by AllanK1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:32 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Electrify ?? such a wast,that nose is so personal.

Ken
SSP #6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:03 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,708 Posts
Graupner Cumic?
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Nov 30, 2009, 04:38 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,296 Posts
Allan

what else have you got squirreled away in that shed?
Pity I can't be there to see it in the flesh.

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Nov 30, 2009, 02:18 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,142 Posts
Another clue

In answer to Steves question, I have way too much tucked away in the shed, just ask my wife. Fortunately it is a big shed and now the kids have grown up it is not full of eldest sons projects that progressed from push bikes to 500HP Nissan drift cars.

This lovely old beast was an English kit which was bought in Australia in about 1976. It has a smaller 100 inch english standard class sibling using the same fuselage. The fuselage is really nice, strong and light despite polyester and chop mat. Stuff I would never consider using these days.The red gelcoat is as good as ever. Amazing when you think of the years of hard competition flying it did way back then. Looking at the kit plans, I see there is actually a wooden fuselage shown.
As with all great sailplanes the performance is in the wing and this one was quite unusual for the time. It has a thin 9% flat bottom section of low camber. Almost modern by todays standards. It was light and stong too using spruce spars right on the wing surface to get the maximum distance between them. I never broke it on tow but it certainly has a number of wing repairs for other reasons.

Anyway, I'll give you all an extra day to ID it then I'll reveal all.

Allan
Old Dec 01, 2009, 06:18 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,142 Posts
It's a SUPER NOVA

Well that's what the plan says. Designed by a J Baguley. I really can't remember who made the kit.

Anyone ever see or flown one of these.

Mine is the only one I have ever seen or even heard about, certainly the only one in New Zealand to the best of my knowledge. I'm starting to wonder if it was actually an Australian kit of a UK Plan. Either way it was, is, an outstanding performer in the that soft floppy old fashioned way pre high powered winches.

Allam
Old Dec 03, 2009, 02:40 PM
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Feb 2008
15 Posts
Could be either,,

Could be either a "Super Nova" or a "Wildflecken" althought he nose looks wrong for the latter.
Hope this helps
timboiow is offline Find More Posts by timboiow
Old Dec 06, 2009, 12:38 PM
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Feb 2008
15 Posts
This Super Nova on e-bay

This one appeared on e-bay.....less dihedral than the photo, but th fuse looks the same

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/rc-model-glide...item3a559066c2

Timbo
timboiow is offline Find More Posts by timboiow
Old Dec 06, 2009, 06:26 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,142 Posts
Thanks Timbo, definately a SuperNova. I'm guessing this one has ailerons with the reduced dihedral. It will be a dog other wise.
Were SuperNovas common in the UK? Did they get used in competition much?

Allan