Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 04, 2003, 04:47 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,488 Posts
Separate battery for a retract servo? How?

Guru's,

I'm thinking about fitting retracting u/c to my next proposed project.

I keep hearing horror stories about stalled servo's draining all the current from the main batteries, so is there a diode or sumfink so I could use a separate small cell pack just to power the u/c.

Just disabling the BEC won't work as the stalled servo scenario will still kill the radio gear.

Any thoughts before Bri shifts this thread elsewhere?

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2003, 05:22 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Is this what you want Tim?

Tony
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old May 04, 2003, 06:08 PM
Registered Lifeform
Little Rock,AR,USA
Joined Jun 1999
801 Posts
Tim,

Is the project big enough to carry an honest-to-gosh retract servo? One of their big advantages is that they "time out" if stalled and turn themselves off. Although I still think a seperate battery is a good idea.

At least this was true in the past. These days it seems to be hard to find anything but the most superficial information about servos.

Paul
Paul Willenborg is offline Find More Posts by Paul Willenborg
Old May 04, 2003, 07:44 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Re: Separate battery for a retract servo? How?

Quote:
Originally posted by tim hooper
Any thoughts before Bri shifts this thread elsewhere?
!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 04, 2003, 08:20 PM
Malaysia
Joined Jun 2001
1,009 Posts
Do you really need to use retract servo? assuming that travel is properly set and no binding?

What happen if you use normal std servo. You just basically swing the servo arm from one end to the other, does this really need retract servo? WHats the differences?
Magna is offline Find More Posts by Magna
Old May 04, 2003, 08:42 PM
Monticello, FL USA
Joined Jul 2002
18 Posts
Tim,

I have installed retracts on my 1/2A P-51 conversion using a Hitec HS-85BB. The advantage here is the ability to set EPA to eliminate the binding/stall. I am pleased with this setup.
sluufuut is offline Find More Posts by sluufuut
Old May 04, 2003, 08:59 PM
Registered Lifeform
Little Rock,AR,USA
Joined Jun 1999
801 Posts
>>...the ability to set EPA to eliminate the binding/stall.<<

>>...assuming that travel is properly set and no binding?<<

All well and good until one leg gets a little bent when it hits a bump or the plane swerves badly on takeoff. Then it binds and 30 seconds later the BEC goes into thermal overload and the plane crashes. A single stalled servo may draw several amps.

Do you cycle your landing gear and check them after EVERY landing? You'd better.

The difference is (or was) that a retract servo knows it should only operate for a short time and turns itself off even if jammed badly. It's a shame there are not any micro retract servos. They would not be difficult to manufacture.

Paul
Last edited by Paul Willenborg; May 04, 2003 at 09:02 PM.
Old May 04, 2003, 09:50 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,266 Posts
Retract servos have a geneva mechanism that locks the servo into the end of it's travel. At this point the motor is turned off and you can not move the ouput arm regardless of how hard you try. The motor will not turn back on until it is commanded to go to the other extreme of travel. Retract servos are two position, 180 degree travel servos and have mechincal locks in these positions.

I don't think there are actually any retract servos that shut down after a given time period, not the one's I've played with anyhow.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old May 04, 2003, 10:57 PM
Registered Lifeform
Little Rock,AR,USA
Joined Jun 1999
801 Posts
Greg,

The old Futaba low profile (136G?) retract servo would shut off after just a few seconds if stopped in an intermediate position. Pretty sure the equivalent JR was the same. I'm not sure about current versions.
Old May 04, 2003, 10:58 PM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
You could install in the retract wiring, a slo-blow fuse rated at about double the amp draw for the normal servo involved in the retract system.... at least under any abnormal current condition, the blown fuse should auto-disconnect from the flite pack any let the other chans work normally........... kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old May 05, 2003, 03:07 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,553 Posts
I'm not moving this anywhere- lots of useful info in there, the diagram has found it's way straight onto my hard disk.

Hoops with retracts???? It'll be rivets next, you mark my words
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old May 05, 2003, 07:04 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Battery system

What I forgot to say was that I used this system in my F117 - our field is rough, and there's every chance that even a touch-and-go will end with a non retracting retract system.

The added weight is negligible - a second 500mah rx pack is more than sufficient. I used a 280mah pack with no problems.

Tony
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old May 05, 2003, 09:20 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
All you have to do is disconnect the red wire going from the retract servo to the receiver.

Here's what I would do: Get a short quality Y-harness, a standard switch harness, and your retract battery. At the receiver end of the Y-harness, extract the center pin from the servo plug by carefully lifting the plastic catch with an exacto knife. Insulate this pin with heat shrink tubing to prevent any shorts. Now, just connect the battery and switch harness to the one leg of the Y-harness, and the retract servo to the other.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old May 05, 2003, 01:51 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts

One of these days I'm going to have to learn how to do line drawings on the PC. For now please forgive my crude manual drawing.

The way I've tackled this problem before on my Twin Bushwacker used one switch to operate a 4.8V pack for the RX and a 6V pack for the retracts. The switch opened and closed the negative lead in the radio system on both packs. The four channels of flight control were operated as you would normally do them. The retract servo on the other hand got the + from the 6V pack and the - and signal wires from the retract channel on the RX. Hope this makes sence.
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old May 05, 2003, 02:22 PM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,902 Posts
Greg, try this.

http://www.microcode.com/downloads/student.htm
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A