HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2009, 02:43 AM
revving and pulling too hard
New Zealand's Riviera
Joined Jun 2008
319 Posts
Discussion
Techone Mini Yak-54 setup 1s or 2?

Purchased a 2nd hand kit NIB off trademe and am wondering how I should set this up?

for 1 cell - I have a AR6400 brick, 2 x AS2000 linear servos, a TGY DP 3A 1S 1g Brushless ESC (non programmable version) and a lot of hyperion 120mAh and 240mAh batts as well as the batts from my UM sukhoi, UM mustang, mSR and mCX.

for 2 cell - I have a AR6300 Rx, 3 x walkera 3.2g digital servos, supplied with kit 7Amp ESC, or turnigy 6Amp ESC, and 1 x 200mAH 2cell, 2 x hyperion 240mAh G3, and 5 x Rhino 360mAh batts

I'd like to run it 1 cell but will the AR64000 work on this plane (don't want to buy the AR6400L), will it have enough travel?
Will my 1 cell ESC work with the supplied C05 3700kv motor? and will it have enough grunt?

If I go 2 cell will the walkera 3.2g servo be too heavy?, most people use the blue arrow 2.5g servos, which cost more than the plane here in NZ.

the lighter I build it the more crash resistant it will be and the longer it will last.

I quick on paper calculation I did was 29.2g for 1 cell against 50.8g for 2 cell

So what should I do - I've already got listed gear and don't want to buy anything else.

Brett
kiwilama is offline Find More Posts by kiwilama
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:39 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,332 Posts
If I were you I would shy away from the short travel AR6400. I know that it will work but with the supplied control arms the travel is WAY too short. I used the AR6300 with 2.5 Bluearrow servo's from Hobbycity. I flew with the 2 cell set up. My HK 2cell 180's work but I've seen this plane fly great with the C05 4040 prop and home made 2 cell 100mah batteries. Very lite but flight times are under 5 minutes with only about 2 if you are hovering the whole time.
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:21 AM
Tampa, Fl
Joined Jan 2002
703 Posts
AR6400 brick and short throw servos are fine. You need to use different (short) control arms or install them by cutting a slot in the surface and feed them up from underneath to shorten them.

Instead of using the PZ aileron bellcrank, use a small servo arm and a piece of carbon tube as a post, then hook the aileron pushrods in the outer holes of the servo and the rod from the micro servo to one of the inside holes of the servo arm. Or use both servos, one for each aileron. Heavier though and each gram does count on a bird this small.

Use as little hot glue as possible for mounting the brick and servo (keep the glue away from the drive gears!) . Use UHU to build it if you can, if you can't just go as light as you possibly can. The trick is to be as close to 1 oz as you can.

If you stay with the brushed setup, use the PZ Mustang motor and prop. I found this to give the best performance on mine.

I've only found one 1S brushless motor that works well with this setup:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...earbox_GPS-C03

And again, I found the PZ Mustang prop to be the best on this one too. Opinions may vary on the prop.

I've built 3 Micro Yaks and 1 Micro Piagette like this and folks really enjoy them.

On the 2 cell front, I have not had much success yet. Each motor I've tried has been too heavy, too high KV, ETC ETC. I have a 5 gram 2S motor coming from BSD that is supposed to put out around 72 grams of thrust. If you go 2S on a PZ brick, make sure to get a diode for the positive lead from the ESC or you could burn up the brick.

In my experience, even the 2.5 gram servos and an AR6300 make this airframe too heavy compared to the brick. My opinion, but my yak weighs in at 1.2 OZ and floats around indoor locations like a PZ Ember, and is very aerobatic. One of the up sides to using the 2dogrc setup is that you have TONS of power for hover and vertical aerobatics.

Just stating what I have experienced so far with this particular airframe. Some may disagree, but it all depends on what your trying to get out of it.

Good luck in whatever you choose,
Rob
RobDog is offline Find More Posts by RobDog
Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:23 AM
Tampa, Fl
Joined Jan 2002
703 Posts
Here is a link to a good picture of how to setup the ailerons..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3066928

Rob
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:23 PM
New Zealand's Riviera
Joined Jun 2008
319 Posts
Thanks for the info and pics Rob - nice clean setup on the Yak

Brett
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:26 PM
New Zealand's Riviera
Joined Jun 2008
319 Posts
Oh!
Last edited by kiwilama; Feb 17, 2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: double post
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:04 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Mar 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
I have a 5 gram 2S motor coming from BSD that is supposed to put out around 72 grams of thrust.
RobDog, have you tried the motor yet? I have ordered the mini Yak and have a 5-gram BL from BSD (4500kv) which I was going to try. BSD advertises: “Current is ~2.5 amps on a 3.7 volts (GWS5030 prop)Thrust is ~60 grams” . I was planning on using a 6400-L brick and long-throw servo and 2x 150mah lipos in parallel. Any other suggestions or advice?

Kraz
Krazman is offline Find More Posts by Krazman
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:20 AM
Joined Mar 2010
330 Posts
I also think the use of receiver AR6400 on this plane no alternative, but it is better to exclusively modify the letter "L" for 3D-flying.

When feeding from single LiPo battery recommend motor- MM 13/3/12T (http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=840).
This engine has a thrust from the propeller GWS 6 x 3 with U = 3,5 V- 68 grams, but with the regulator TMM 0703-3 EXPERT (http://mgm-compro.com/index.php?tid=...-0703-3-expert ).
You can try to control YGE 4S (http://www.yge.de/artikel.php?search=yge4s ).
Buy it here- http://www.slowflyworld.de/index.php...ucts_id=114248 .
But, you should not use the controls XP-3A and XP-7A, because with them thrust falls on 10 - 20 grams!

Another highly recommend brushless motors with gearboxes-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207768
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207845

I can recommend also a very good motor from Gasparin - G15 12W 3.6V Bronco (http://www.gasparin.cz/?show=frames&...hatsnew&lng=en).
This engine has a thrust with a propeller GWS 5 x 3 with U = 3,5 V - 92 grams!
Vladimir88 is offline Find More Posts by Vladimir88
Last edited by Vladimir88; Apr 02, 2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:35 PM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
825 Posts
Rob - WOW! 1.2oz on a techone micro and floaty! That sounds very good. We have 2 micro Yaks at our Gilford gym and both are far from perfect. Larrys' is using 3.7 gm servos and the 2.4 mhz Assam rx. He is a good flyer and makes it loop and roll but its a bit fast and not floaty, won't hover. Mine has the motor recommended by bphobbies and the 5x3 prop, 2.5gm servos and I am using the Plantraco 900mhz 4 channel servo rec., t weighs 51 m rtf. I've got it to fly about 10 feet so far as the little plantraco tx even with expo program is not working for me. I need all the features of my computer radio like 9C or DX7. It sounds like the way to go with these is with the smallest Spectrum rx and the long thro servos like from the 4 site. The stuff Vlad sugests is good I would guess but probably much more expensive. These Techone micros are an interesting challenge.
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar
Old Apr 01, 2010, 09:33 AM
Tampa, Fl
Joined Jan 2002
703 Posts
Yeah, the AR6400 has been a great little micro setup for me in a few planes now. Just have to keep the airframe light. I did use the little brushless geared setup and it didn't seem to have much more power than the mustang motor. The new motor/prop from the micro 4-site might be stronger.... I have a new one on the bench for a friend, I'll see if he will put the 4-site motor on it.

I've since put this gear in a 9" span micro pizza box and it was too much power for that span.

Next project is a 7" span f-22.....

Later guys!
Rob
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:07 AM
Portugal(Lisbon)
Joined Aug 2010
28 Posts
im gonna start building this plane,anyone know the weight of the mini yak solo,no electronics?
carlospt is offline Find More Posts by carlospt
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:16 PM
Caen Normandy FRANCE
Joined Nov 2003
92 Posts
Hi,
please find a video of a yak equipped with AR6400 (Merci Ulix) + the link with the french forum .
http://www.modelisme.com/forum/aero-...ak-54-epp.html
Macam Indoor 2009 Part 2.m4v (2 min 41 sec)

Hope it will help
salut salut
PAscal
pacalou is offline Find More Posts by pacalou
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:06 PM
Joined Mar 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlospt View Post
im gonna start building this plane,anyone know the weight of the mini yak solo,no electronics?
Approximately 15 grams.
Vladimir88 is offline Find More Posts by Vladimir88
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:43 PM
Portugal(Lisbon)
Joined Aug 2010
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir88 View Post
Approximately 15 grams.

ok tanks, so i can add around 25 grams total of electronics,I think...
carlospt is offline Find More Posts by carlospt
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:01 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
if your staying on 1s try to keep the auw under 35 grams. 30 would be best. if 2s then you have a little more wiggle room. say around 50g or so.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick