HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2009, 04:28 PM
unconventional :-)
Brisbane north, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
2,115 Posts
Discussion
Tools - cutter, sander, drill combo

Years ago recall seeing television advertisements for work centers that had a table saw, sanding disc and drill all in one neat (albeit cheap) device. I was think this might be a useful item for foamie construction. I googled it but cannot find any trace. Does anyone know what these things were called or if they still sell them?

I think the table saw was an inverted jigsaw, and the sanding disc has a platform so you could hold pieces at right angles to the disc?
kadil is online now Find More Posts by kadil
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2009, 04:36 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,391 Posts
popular science & mechanics illustratet
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Nov 28, 2009, 07:58 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,243 Posts
Shopsmith??

http://www.shopsmith.com/
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Nov 28, 2009, 09:41 PM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
A friend had a shopsmith. Probably the biggest gripe against it is the set up time for a given tool. If you have to switch between tools, it can get very tedious. Couple that with a really high price. If you are just doing modeling and other small projects, you can get a scroll saw, small benchtop drill press and small disc sander for fairly cheap. It will take up about the same amount of space. If you have the space, toss in a small bandsaw and you will have a nice shop for modeling for a LOT less than a shopsmith.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:13 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,115 Posts
the one I saw was more of a toy, but would be durable working with foam
Old Nov 29, 2009, 07:00 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philba View Post
If you are just doing modeling and other small projects, you can get a scroll saw, small benchtop drill press and small disc sander for fairly cheap. It will take up about the same amount of space. If you have the space, toss in a small bandsaw and you will have a nice shop for modeling for a LOT less than a shopsmith.
This is what I did. Works great! Also if one tool breaks you only replace that tool but mine has been working fine forever. You don't use them all that much at a time.
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:58 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,115 Posts
is it worth mounting a jigsaw upside-down under the bench and using a thin blade to do the work of a band saw? Not ideal I know, but various woodworkers around the net seem to have done this.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 02:41 AM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
more like a poor man's scroll saw. You would need to make a hold down and a blower to clear sawdust away would be very useful.

Decent (though not great) scroll saws can be had for <$100. Harbor Freight has one for $79.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Nov 30, 2009, 05:47 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
My little 10" band saw is one of the most-used power tools I have on the bench. I had a local blade repair house make me a combination blade so I can cut wood, plastick or metal (32tpi, IIRC)
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Nov 30, 2009, 06:08 AM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
I Loves my little Dremmel and my router and other attatchments, these things are very versatile for working with foam
I also have one set up with a flex shaft which is also very handy.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan