HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:07 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Here are pictures of my skegs -- don't have anything on the wire-tie method.
Very nice. I'll post some pics of what I did tonight when I get home....

but now that I see what you did I am stealing it!
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:49 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
...now that I see what you did I am stealing it!
heh heh Have at it! You are merely following along in a rich hobby tradition!

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:15 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Here's the shots of what I did for servo protection with tie-wrap sections.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:12 PM
Boring holes in sky & runway
Waterbug's Avatar
Michigan
Joined Jun 2004
268 Posts
Blue Wonder... Yes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
I mean simpler to find the angle.
I think it's easier to measure an angle of two long lines, than two shorter.
And yes, this is the true downtrust angle, by definition. Me I wouldn't be absolutely certain only visually that the vertical line is absolutely perpendicular on the wing chord.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff View Post
Feel free, I stole it myself
I just finished reading the whol d*** thread and was thinking along the same lines as Jeff. I just got into sloping last fall with a Speedo Mk II. One of the guys in our crew had a powered model for hunting lift before we launched our powerless slopers on the light breeze. I was considering whether to add the Mpx power pack for this hunting task.... and it seems heavy expensive and unrefined. I have had great results with the 24g Blue Wonders on 3s 500ma at 1200 kv and now stock them!!! I wondered about adding 75 g to the base Xeno and sense this is Ok for you, Jeff. Flying "on the wing " it will climb... Thank you for posting all the info and I will continue the unbroken chain of "stealing "..!!! One question.... why 3000 kv?! Was that necessary for the limited prop selection, the clearance the 2s or .....you had one one the bench?
Waterbug is offline Find More Posts by Waterbug
Last edited by Waterbug; Jan 01, 2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Sloping is pretty cool esp. for a sloper design... need a slope though!
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:25 PM
Boring holes in sky & runway
Waterbug's Avatar
Michigan
Joined Jun 2004
268 Posts
PS half the planes there at the slope were Xenos and Allulas with no motor and they flew great from 15 to 30 mph winds. At 35 they were getting a bit trickier to control. Below 15 you better not screw up because our 400 ft sand slope is virtually unhikeable. I have seen young people stop to puke trying to hike up this huge dune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IwClA4Rv3kw
Waterbug is offline Find More Posts by Waterbug
Last edited by Waterbug; Jan 05, 2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: video link
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:18 PM
Boring holes in sky & runway
Waterbug's Avatar
Michigan
Joined Jun 2004
268 Posts
Pic of the dune at Sleeping Bear NP

I just want light air back up power when I soar here.....
Jealous? I would be!!!!
Waterbug is offline Find More Posts by Waterbug
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:51 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbug View Post
One question.... why 3000 kv?! Was that necessary for the limited prop selection, the clearance the 2s or .....you had one one the bench?
I didn't want to order anything and it's what I had handy at the time
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:14 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,824 Posts
Hello all. I picked up a couple of these over the summer and have spent the last week or so reading over this thread. I assembled one set up completely stock with a couple of Power HDmg 1711's for control and a 1300mah battery. Maidened it today. Cold and calm, partly sunny. Launched power off without incedent. Man this guy can glide. I haven't ever flown a wing unless you consider a Stryker. Very gracefull and can fly very slow. I think the best way to land this is to catch it. That will keep down the scuffs and broken servo arms!
Thanks for all of the info. I feel I have another great airplane for the not so flyable winter weather.
Jay
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:47 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbug View Post
I just finished reading the whol d*** thread and was thinking along the same lines as Jeff. I just got into sloping last fall with a Speedo Mk II. One of the guys in our crew had a powered model for hunting lift before we launched our powerless slopers on the light breeze. I was considering whether to add the Mpx power pack for this hunting task.... and it seems heavy expensive and unrefined. I have had great results with the 24g Blue Wonders on 3s 500ma at 1200 kv and now stock them!!! I wondered about adding 75 g to the base Xeno and sense this is Ok for you, Jeff. Flying "on the wing " it will climb... Thank you for posting all the info and I will continue the unbroken chain of "stealing "..!!! One question.... why 3000 kv?! Was that necessary for the limited prop selection, the clearance the 2s or .....you had one one the bench?
The only negative with putting the motor back there is getting a good cg. My Xeno took a fair amount of weight in the nose to get the cg right with the stock motor location. With the motor back there it's going to take alot more I would guess. And I have the battery as far forward as it can go without modding the canopy or foam.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:09 AM
Boring holes in sky & runway
Waterbug's Avatar
Michigan
Joined Jun 2004
268 Posts
what did your motor weigh, billy?
the HK blue wonders only weigh 24g (<1 oz) but can pump 100W at 3 S.

If you get a lighter motor and move it forward like Jeff Bugman did you could maybe use a lot less weight. Thats my goal.
From one of the mods posted I think I need 3-4x the rear mounted motor weight up front for balance. The battery should do most of that. Light prop would be good, too!
Waterbug is offline Find More Posts by Waterbug
Last edited by Waterbug; Jan 05, 2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:58 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,824 Posts
Bad day!

Is there an issue with flying these inverted?

On the first and second flight I didn't notice any bad tendencies. Today, well......
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:38 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Bad day!

Is there an issue with flying these inverted?

On the first and second flight I didn't notice any bad tendencies. Today, well......
Sorry to see it. Perhaps your battery shifted or mechanical failure? Or did you dumb thumb it?
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:45 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbug View Post
what did your motor weigh, billy?
the HK blue wonders only weigh 24g (<1 oz) but can pump 100W at 3 S.

If you get a lighter motor and move it forward like Jeff Bugman did you could maybe use a lot less weight. Thats my goal.
From one of the mods posted I think I need 3-4x the rear mounted motor weight up front for balance. The battery should do most of that. Light prop would be good, too!
I copied the multiplex power pack for the Xeno, but I bought the parts seperately, it's cheaper. Crazy but true. Anyway it's the Himax 2816-1220. It's 79 grams but it's 200 watts.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:01 AM
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
Sorry to see it. Perhaps your battery shifted or mechanical failure? Or did you dumb thumb it?
I asked a couple of other flyers to launch it for me so that I could use my transmitter glove. Finally got airborne after a couple of less than perfect launches. I am thinking that perhaps the control horns became partially dislodged from those attempts. The dumb thumb part was not reacting quick enough and rolling out to pull up. I wasn't having a "good flying day" yesterday if you know what I mean. Earlier flights with other models ended up haping close calls. I guess I should have quite while I was ahead.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:29 AM
Electric only
rkopka's Avatar
Graz - Austria
Joined Nov 2002
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Is there an issue with flying these inverted?
Just the mechanical problems which are apparent. Inverted the whole mechanism just holds by the small plastic parts of the cover. With the leverage force proportions it is evident that it will not hold much.
In normal flight the forces just press the halves together.

And it seems to be cold at your place which also weakens the parts.

RK
rkopka is offline Find More Posts by rkopka
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Multiplex Xeno checkup Flying Wings 129 Apr 10, 2010 08:47 AM
Yippee! New Multiplex Models 2009: MERLIN and XENO Doubletap Slope 12 Feb 26, 2010 10:31 PM
Discussion XENO, New to Multiplex??? sparkie624 Hitec/Multiplex USA 4 May 27, 2009 06:16 PM
Discussion Multiplex Xeno as FPV JakAck FPV Talk 7 Mar 09, 2009 06:40 PM
New Product Multiplex Xeno soundcheque Flying Wings 2 Mar 03, 2009 09:25 PM