HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:35 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,690 Posts
The follow through is very important with power on launches. I've been throwing pushers for years and have had a few prop bites, it's a lesson you learn quick
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:23 AM
Reunion
Joined Nov 2010
76 Posts
no gaz launching : just some pictures
Xeno (1 min 30 sec)
Papangue is offline Find More Posts by Papangue
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
Easy to launch a wing at 3/4 power like this guys does at the 15 second mark:

How to Launch a flying wing (3 min 21 sec)
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:46 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Easy to launch a wing at 3/4 power like this guys does at the 15 second mark:

http://youtu.be/WPDFF14at5A
Nearly every time I've tried that, I've planted the wing nose first about 5' in front of me It takes some practice so you don't pitch the wing up or down as you release.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:22 PM
USA, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Nov 2009
153 Posts
I'm looking for my first flying wing. It would be great if it flies slow and glides decently. Without having to read 50 some pages would the Xeno fit the bill? Atlanta Hobby has them for $59.99, seems like a great price. I want a wing that can handle wind and a fair amount of turbulence my flying site produces. That concerns me more than aerobatic ability. High speed doesnt really interest me. Parkzones Strykers look too fragile and cost more than they should. How easy is the build? I have a disease that makes my hands tremble when I'm trying to build but I'm OK when I'm flying or driving an RC Car or flying my Heli's. Thanks in advance for the help.
MWShelton is offline Find More Posts by MWShelton
Last edited by MWShelton; Dec 04, 2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:18 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff View Post
Nearly every time I've tried that, I've planted the wing nose first about 5' in front of me It takes some practice so you don't pitch the wing up or down as you release.
I pile-drove my first few launches into the ground at 3/4 throttle. Luckily the wing was a CTH Assassin. I just picked it up and threw it back in the air. After a few launches, the motion just clicked and now the launches are no problem. I'm also left handed. So it helps to launch the wing with my left hand while my right thumb is on the ele/ail stick.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:31 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWShelton View Post
I'm looking for my first flying wing. It would be great if it flies slow and glides decently. Without having to read 50 some pages would the Xeno fit the bill? Atlanta Hobby has them for $59.99, seems like a great price. I want a wing that can handle wind and a fair amount of turbulence my flying site produces. That concerns me more than aerobatic ability. High speed doesnt really interest me. Parkzones Strykers look too fragile and cost more than they should. How easy is the build? I have a disease that makes my hands tremble when I'm trying to build but I'm OK when I'm flying or driving an RC Car or flying my Heli's. Thanks in advance for the help.
The vertical fins on the Xeno are a bit smaller than they should be. Because of this, it tends to wobble in yaw a bit, particularly when it's windy. Adding on to them to make them bigger helps. Other than this minor issue, it seems to work alright.

Also, the PZ Strykers are built like tanks and can absorb a surprising amount of damage. They are a bit expensive though.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:04 AM
Electric only
Graz - Austria
Joined Nov 2002
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by francesco67 View Post
It is possible...believe me, pay attention!

I learnt on my blood that it is important to withaw down fastly your hand after the launch if you want to launch it powered
That's really important. But the natural movement IMHO is to push the model right away and the hand goes down in a curve. So it should be out of the way.
Only problem I had once (not with the XENO) was, when I stumbled and the throw was muddled (so don't run !). I do it also with Funjets and 2,2m Wing.

And if someone is anxious he can also take the wing and throw it sideways.

RK
rkopka is offline Find More Posts by rkopka
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:20 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWShelton View Post
The Xeno is super easy to fly. And it's pretty fast too with the power setup. Not screaming but fast enough to be fun. And it's a glider too so you can take it up real high and fly for a long time unpowered and the stall speed is very low, so you can fly very relaxed if you choose to. About the only thing that is tricky is dumping speed on landings, it doesn't want to slow down. But it's physically tough and you really have to screw up badly to get significant damage. Highly recommend it.

The fins are a little small, but the wobble is not a huge issue. It looks bad but doesn't really effect flight control. You can make the fins bigger with more foam or some abs plastic sheet. I haven't bothered, I usually am flying fast and there's no wobble at high speeds.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Last edited by billyd60; Dec 05, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:54 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
The fins are a little small, but the wobble is not a huge issue. It looks bad but doesn't really effect flight control. You can make the fins bigger with more foam or some abs plastic sheet. I haven't bothered, I usually am flying fast and there's no wobble at high speeds.
My friend made us some plywood and balsa formed 'skegs' for the bottom, to help protect the servos during landing AND to add some additional stabilizer area. I'll be darned if installing a pair of those was not just what the doctor ordered: both of our Xenos are now wobble free! I had quit flying mine because I hated the wobble so much.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
My friend made us some plywood and balsa formed 'skegs' for the bottom, to help protect the servos during landing AND to add some additional stabilizer area. I'll be darned if installing a pair of those was not just what the doctor ordered: both of our Xenos are now wobble free! I had quit flying mine because I hated the wobble so much.
I used 2x 3"-4" sections of white tie-wrap (ends cut off), the big stuff (about 3/16" wide) and bent them in an arch along side each servo linkage. So it's an arch fore-aft on the bottom. Glued them into the foam with Goop. They are flexible and make good landing skids. This way you don't have to move the servos to the top of the wing.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:28 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
I used 2x 3"-4" sections of white tie-wrap (ends cut off), the big stuff (about 3/16" wide) and bent them in an arch along side each servo linkage. So it's an arch fore-aft on the bottom. Glued them into the foam with Goop. They are flexible and make good landing skids. This way you don't have to move the servos to the top of the wing.
That's a cool idea! I personally wasn't so worried about the bottom or protecting the linkages (but that is indeed what my fried was principally worried about) but I just wanted to get rid of that annoying side-scuttle. His little fix did both with one mod on his Xeno, so then I asked him to make me a pair too. But if all I needed was bottom protection, your method is easy to do -- those little sandwiched wood pieces he made were like jeweled works of art. After he glued, shaped and sanded them I felt terrible laying paint over them to blend with the white body of the Xeno.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
That's a cool idea! I personally wasn't so worried about the bottom or protecting the linkages (but that is indeed what my fried was principally worried about) but I just wanted to get rid of that annoying side-scuttle. His little fix did both with one mod on his Xeno, so then I asked him to make me a pair too. But if all I needed was bottom protection, your method is easy to do -- those little sandwiched wood pieces he made were like jeweled works of art. After he glued, shaped and sanded them I felt terrible laying paint over them to blend with the white body of the Xeno.
Absolutely your idea kills two birds with one stone I wish I had thought of it. But like I said before I don't really mind the wobble that much, I spend most of the time at high speeds with the Xeno.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:39 AM
Reunion
Joined Nov 2010
76 Posts
Picture please? thanks ...
Papangue is offline Find More Posts by Papangue
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:12 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papangue View Post
Picture please? thanks ...
Here are pictures of my skegs -- don't have anything on the wire-tie method.