HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:19 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,038 Posts
Photos of tractor pusher pod

Here are some pics

The template is really good for the essential part: the lower portion where you
fix it to the Xeno - the upper part is up to you, depending on prop size etc.

I just tried it, and it works, you might go for slightly smaller angle up, but
it worked ok at that power level

for mounting the motor I just glued on two EPP pieces, and put a plywood
piece in front.

Most work is to get the curvature right at the bottom, for stability you need
to glue on some wood, and file it to the right curvature. I put some rubber
pieces on for vibration damping

I think it's 3mm plywood, anyway that should be fine

most importanty I learned that it won't work to try to fix it like the MPX
power cowling, the thin plywood gave way after the first hard landing

Better to just have some plywood extending below, and press the pod
to the plane usiing a zip tie around the inner body, just make small holes on
both sides to get the zip tie through

good luck with yours!

cheers
Clemens
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:55 PM
Florence, Italy
Joined Feb 2010
39 Posts
Very clear now Clemens, thanks a really a lot for your pacience!
francesco67 is offline Find More Posts by francesco67
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:22 PM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Hi guys,
in the next days i'll receive my xeno. I'm reading this thread to prepare me to build it in the best way. I have a question about how to move the linkages on top.
I don't understand how to calculate the right slope to dig the hole across the wing. Can anyone explain to me how to do this? Unfortunately I don't speak german so the instructions reported in link at post 527 are unuseful to me, but I wish do a thing like this.
Thanks
Angelus1383 is offline Find More Posts by Angelus1383
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:09 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
693 Posts
Hi, Welcome,

My Xeno servos are on the top of the wing. Use the servo cut-outs on the bottom of the wing as a guide to cut through the wing with a sharp razor. Once you have cut out the pieces, slide them to the "bottom" and re-glue them in place.

Nick
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ Models T-34 Mentor 61.4"...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:21 PM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioa View Post
Hi, Welcome,

My Xeno servos are on the top of the wing. Use the servo cut-outs on the bottom of the wing as a guide to cut through the wing with a sharp razor. Once you have cut out the pieces, slide them to the "bottom" and re-glue them in place.

Nick
Hi Nioa,
thanks for your reply.
I don't want put the servos on top of the wing. I want put on top only the linkages as shown in post 527 but I don't understand how calculate the correct slope to dig the wings. Can you explain me how to do this?

Angelus
Angelus1383 is offline Find More Posts by Angelus1383
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:08 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
I just ordered one of these from eBay and cant decide if I want to make this a glider or more like an acrobatic plane with lots of power. Would adding 50 grams of weight make a big difference on how this plane would glide?
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:17 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus1383 View Post
Hi Nioa,
thanks for your reply.
I don't want put the servos on top of the wing. I want put on top only the linkages as shown in post 527 but I don't understand how calculate the correct slope to dig the wings. Can you explain me how to do this?

Angelus
Angelus, I think that contributor just poked the linkage through the wing by estimation. I know you don't want the servo on the top of the wing, but consider also that the control arm can easily be moved to the top of the wing too. If the control arm is on the bottom of the wing, you can still damage the servo and the linkage in a bad landing. Moving the servo and the control arm to the top of the wing is the most protected position.

Nick
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ Models T-34 Mentor 61.4"...
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:06 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,068 Posts
Thinking about picking up a Xeno. Does the kit come with a motor mount to attach an outrunner?
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:51 PM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Thinking about picking up a Xeno. Does the kit come with a motor mount to attach an outrunner?
Sadly no. You will have to make your own. Many people use plywood and mounts from other planes.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:01 AM
Electric only
Graz - Austria
Joined Nov 2002
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koo29 View Post
Sadly no. You will have to make your own. Many people use plywood and mounts from other planes.
Around here the motor set was sometimes sold quite cheap. ESC and motor with local (not Honkong) prices and a bit for the mechanics were not much cheaper than the set which works quite well.
At the moment the regular price here is 85 for the set and 50 only motor and ESC.

And a picture of what I used with my first XENO:

RK
rkopka is offline Find More Posts by rkopka
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:32 AM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkopka View Post
Around here the motor set was sometimes sold quite cheap. ESC and motor with local (not Honkong) prices and a bit for the mechanics were not much cheaper than the set which works quite well.
At the moment the regular price here is 85 for the set and 50 only motor and ESC.

And a picture of what I used with my first XENO:

RK
Looks great! I picked up a new xeno on ebay for $35 and I'm still in middle of building it. Is a folding prop "a must"? I got plenty of 7x6s APCs so if I would buy, lets say a 1600kv motor with 300 watts, I think that would work pretty well. I never used folding props and they seem to be expensive-ish.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:14 AM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koo29 View Post
Looks great! I picked up a new xeno on ebay for $35 and I'm still in middle of building it. Is a folding prop "a must"? I got plenty of 7x6s APCs so if I would buy, lets say a 1600kv motor with 300 watts, I think that would work pretty well. I never used folding props and they seem to be expensive-ish.
I have the Multiplex motor set on mine, but I've got several other wings that I just use a regular prop without any problems, and I fly out in the desert on gravel and sand.

If I were to rebuild my Xeno or build a new one, I'd put the servos on the top rather than underneath where the control horns or servo arms can be damaged. I wrecked one servo with just a normal landing, on the sand. Other than that I really like mine.

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:35 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
The only reason for the folding prop is that this was intended to be a gliding/soaring plane and the folding prop is more aerodynamic while gliding.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:03 AM
Electric only
Graz - Austria
Joined Nov 2002
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff View Post
The only reason for the folding prop is that this was intended to be a gliding/soaring plane and the folding prop is more aerodynamic while gliding.
AND it will survive better at landings. Gliding with a normal prop is not very funny.
They may be a bit more expensive, but they probably won't break. But you need to limit the blade travel for tail props so that it doesn't swing to the front or cross in the back.

The servos can stay where they are, but you can put the linkage to the top which is definitely a good idea.

RK
rkopka is offline Find More Posts by rkopka
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,068 Posts
The motor mount situation of the Xeno reminds me more of the wonky mounts on the TwinJet more so than the streamlined FunJet and Ultra!
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ