HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:18 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by faa51408 View Post
There doesn't seem to be a clear answer(or no answer at all!) about what's in the Xeno + Conversion kit combo. It's ten bucks more than the regular kit, but no clear explanation on any seller's website or any of the RC forums of what's included. It's either ten bucks more for extra parts that are worth 59.99 or maybe a few useless pieces of plastic. Could be the best bargain from Multiplex yet. Has anyone purchased the Xeno + conversion kit lately? Jurgen? Anybody? . . . .
Well, if you can get the Xeno kit with the conversion kit for just $10.- more, it's a bargain.

New for 2011 is the Xeno UNI - which is the Xeno kit incl. conversion kit for €89.90, which is €25.- (approx. $35.-) more than the Xeno kit.

It looks like MPX has reduced the price for the conversion kit to compete against third party power kit options.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:08 AM
Wallington, New Jersey, USA
Joined Apr 2010
236 Posts
Quote:
There doesn't seem to be a clear answer(or no answer at all!) about what's in the Xeno + Conversion kit combo. It's ten bucks more than the regular kit, but no clear explanation on any seller's website or any of the RC forums of what's included. It's either ten bucks more for extra parts that are worth 59.99 or maybe a few useless pieces of plastic. Could be the best bargain from Multiplex yet. Has anyone purchased the Xeno + conversion kit lately? Jurgen? Anybody? . . . .
I bought the Xeno plus conversion kit a few months back. What's included is all the plastic parts, the shaft, the prop adapter and all the hardware that goes with it. I had to get a motor and ESC (I bought the himax motor that Multiplex recommends off of eBay and added a cheap Chinese ESC that I had laying around) and and that's it.
hugofly is offline Find More Posts by hugofly
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:41 PM
Joined Feb 2007
100 Posts
Thanks Hugofly! I'll be buying the kit from Tower Hobbies. Looks like the right kit for those of us who have a collection of motors and electronics from our other unlucky planes.
faa51408 is online now Find More Posts by faa51408
Old Jul 22, 2011, 01:13 PM
Joined Apr 2010
236 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Hugofly! I'll be buying the kit from Tower Hobbies. Looks like the right kit for those of us who have a collection of motors and electronics from our other unlucky planes.
True! However, one thing for you to consider: I was thinking the same thing at first, too, but then I realized that one of the things that made me want the Xeno is the folding prop for longer/better gliding. After I ordered the Xeno, planning on putting an unemployed motor in it that I got laying around, I realized that it's pretty difficult to match a motor to one particular prop. Remember, you won't be able to just go do your LHS if your testing results show that you need to prop up or prop down. That's when I realized that it would be best for me to get the exact motor that Multiplex recommend for it. ESC is no problem, I had it laying around. Unless you have a motor with the same kV and the same (or higher) rated continuous amps whilst being the same size, you'll need to get the motor that they recommend.

Or you put a regular APC prop on it.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 06:29 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,024 Posts
Hmmm.. there are prop calculators, and guess what? mostly give better propulsion solutions than mfrs !
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:18 PM
Joined Feb 2007
100 Posts
Received my Xeno on Tuesday, assembly is almost finished. My OCD kicked in during assembly and it took a few days of micro trimming foam with new X Acto blades to get the fit just right. I wish there was a kinder, gentler glue that would work on Elapor, got my fingers glued to the wing a few times. Tower Hobbies sells the kit for 69.99. Basically all you need is a motor, esc and the right battery for balance with this kit if you want powered flight. The kit comes with two motor shaft adapters, 3mm and 4mm. Unfortunately, most of my outrunners are 3.17mm shafts. I'll just drill out the 3mm adapter with a 1/8" drill and I should be ready to do some powered flight/motor testing. These days, changing out props is not much of a dilemma for me anymore. I can rewind my outrunners for the right kv or amp draw.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 05:47 PM
Victorville, CA
Joined Oct 2009
47 Posts
Haven't read much of this thread, but I thought I'd share a little of my Xeno experience. I bought it as a slope soarer, but didn't have much luck with it. One crash broke the right wing and part of the center fuselage section. I glued it all back together then put the plane on a shelf.

I finally decided to get it flying, and fabricated a motor mount for it. I used plywood, basswood sticks, screws and two 4 mm bolts to hold the mount on. It can be easily removed.

For the motor, I used a Emax 2812 1600 kV from HeadsupRC.com that only cost $10. An aluminum stick mount was only a couple bucks more. I used a 25 Amp ESC from a crashed Skyartec Skyfun, and a 6x4 prop. I put a 1500 mAh 3 cell battery in the nose as it was the biggest one that would fit. I also added a half ounce of lead to bring the CG to recommended location.

It flies fine now. I have the stock stabilizers, and I get some wing "wobble." I launch without about half throttle, and seem to have a lot of prop clearance from my hand. I'm thinking of going to a 7x4 prop for more thrust.

Anyway, here are some pics. Sorry for the quality, as they are taken at night with a cell phone camera.
TriStar_drvr is offline Find More Posts by TriStar_drvr
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:23 AM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriStar_drvr View Post
Haven't read much of this thread, but I thought I'd share a little of my Xeno experience. I bought it as a slope soarer, but didn't have much luck with it. One crash broke the right wing and part of the center fuselage section. I glued it all back together then put the plane on a shelf.

I finally decided to get it flying, and fabricated a motor mount for it. I used plywood, basswood sticks, screws and two 4 mm bolts to hold the mount on. It can be easily removed.

For the motor, I used a Emax 2812 1600 kV from HeadsupRC.com that only cost $10. An aluminum stick mount was only a couple bucks more. I used a 25 Amp ESC from a crashed Skyartec Skyfun, and a 6x4 prop. I put a 1500 mAh 3 cell battery in the nose as it was the biggest one that would fit. I also added a half ounce of lead to bring the CG to recommended location.

It flies fine now. I have the stock stabilizers, and I get some wing "wobble." I launch without about half throttle, and seem to have a lot of prop clearance from my hand. I'm thinking of going to a 7x4 prop for more thrust.

Anyway, here are some pics. Sorry for the quality, as they are taken at night with a cell phone camera.
I fly the same motor on an Assassin Combat Wing and it flys great with a 7 x 4 APC style prop ......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Aug 04, 2011, 04:00 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined May 2008
176 Posts
I got mine finished, the prop with extended shaft was a bit of a pain. Started first with getting some aluminium extruded T bar (cut back H bar), to fit the gaps in the plastic covering. Then used a TP2409-18 with a 3mm stainless steel rod of appropriate length for shaft, supported by the remains of a destroyed TP2408-21 motor (this has 2 bearings) both motors on motor mounts on the T bar to prevent shaft wobbulation. Used a 8X6 folding prop modified to pusher use. Using a 1300mAh 3S battery balances perfectly. Launch at 3/4 throttle in a gentle climb to height and then glides very well, taking into account the design as a sloper/glider.
Terry Pieters is offline Find More Posts by Terry Pieters
Old Aug 05, 2011, 12:41 PM
Joined Apr 2010
236 Posts
Flew mine again this morning 830am at a soccer field before going to work. 76 Fahrenheit, blue sky, maybe 3 miles per hour wind. Awesome. Entire Xeno stock plus the recommened "tuned" power system, no modifications. I usually go straight up after hand launch, all the way up until I almost lose sight. Then I shut off the motor and let it glide. Tiny little triangle all the way up. The sun is at an angle that during turns, the color changes betweenn black (shadow) and bright white when the sun hits it at certain angles. I just let it cruise across the sky from one end of my field of view to the other. No power for about 5 minutes or so. Once it's closer to the ground, I do a short dive and then fly it past me so I can hear the noise that it makes when it cuts through the air. Then I turn on the motor, hit full throttle, go straight up, repeat.

Awesome!
Old Aug 05, 2011, 03:37 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,748 Posts
And now for something completely different ...

Focke Wulf 3x1000 Projekt B - seen today at my local flying field :
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:02 PM
Joined Feb 2007
100 Posts
OMG! Is that the latest Elapor foam Multiplex model that Jurgen gets to fly first while the rest of us spend the next year and a half waiting? If so, put me on the list!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:14 PM
RC'rs get high on flying
Joined Sep 2008
85 Posts
Hi guys,

What is the best way to make the holes in the wing, for the servo control rods, if mounting the servos on the bottom of the wing and the horns on the top? I've never built anything yet, as everything to this point (3 years) has always been RTF or a hand-me-down. Is it as simple as using my drill? Also, when installing the rods this way, should I glue in a plastic sleeve (MacDonald's straw work?) to reinforce the hole and to help the control rod slide easier?

I bought one of the original XENOs, about 2 years ago and I'm just getting around to building it, now. I don't have a motor for it, so for the time being, I just want to build it strictly for slope soaring.

Thank you,
Andrew
mr_6string is offline Find More Posts by mr_6string
Last edited by mr_6string; Aug 22, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 04:00 PM
Florence, Italy
Joined Feb 2010
39 Posts
Propeller...

Hi folks
I did not read all the thread yet, so I hope my question is not a repetition.

I succeeded... in breaking the 9x6 folding propeller, andI cannot find the spare part in Europe, only in the US or Australia.

Could someone link me where I could buy a new one (of course without buying the whole motorization kit!).

Or, can someone tell me if exist an alternative folding propeller?

I use the Tuning power kit.

Thanks!

Francesco
francesco67 is offline Find More Posts by francesco67
Old Sep 19, 2011, 06:58 AM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by francesco67 View Post
Hi folks
I did not read all the thread yet, so I hope my question is not a repetition.

I succeeded... in breaking the 9x6 folding propeller, andI cannot find the spare part in Europe, only in the US or Australia.

Could someone link me where I could buy a new one (of course without buying the whole motorization kit!).

Or, can someone tell me if exist an alternative folding propeller?

I use the Tuning power kit.

Thanks!

Francesco
Send the guy on the post below a PM (private message) ..... Jurgen knows more about MPX than anyone alive !!!!! .....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=65
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14