HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2010, 03:14 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,312 Posts
Normally I put a dab of locktight on the motor screws. The vibration in electric models vary's from motor and setup to motor and setup and how A&*L you want to be with the balancing of the prop. Also it reduces the tendency to want to do things up overtight.

From memory my Xeno kit didn't have washers for the motor screws.

there are several brands and strengths of locktight so it's a bit hard to recomend one specifically. I just use mid strength no name brand. They vary from light through to stud lock. Stud lock can be a bit heavy duty for something like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling View Post
I took my Xeno out last night in about 8mph winds and it was pretty solid. Launching was fine, but I feel it could have done with some more weight in the nose. I am very new to flying, so my experience is minimal. The nose did seem to want to rise a bit when it was flying into wind or when I put the power on, so I decided to land to fit a 1300 lip which would add about 20g to the weight. When I landed (and cartwheeled!) I checked the Xeno over and found that all of the motor mounting screws had come loose, and one had fallen out and was rattling around inside the pod!! This was after about 20 minutes of flying with the tuning set. Is this a common occurrence or have I missed out some washers on the motor?
flyingrally is offline Find More Posts by flyingrally
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2010, 03:22 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingrally View Post
a review is generally somoneones opinion + a few facts a figures ?
As mentioned before: When I write reviews, I always try to be as objective as possible, providing measured figures like climb rates, sink rates, weights, current consumption, prop rpm, motor-, battery- and ESC temperatures etc.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jul 10, 2010, 03:30 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
The nose did seem to want to rise a bit when it was flying into wind or when I put the power on, so I decided to land to fit a 1300 lip which would add about 20g to the weight.
... all of the motor mounting screws had come loose, and one had fallen out and was rattling around inside the pod!! ...
Airplanes don't care whether they are flying into the wind or downwind. All they care about is relative airspeed. Certain things just look different for a pilot on the ground.

Adding weight to the nose could be counter-productive. With the CG further forward, your elevons need to be raised more for compensation. Increasing speed by turning the motor on, will cause the model to climb even more then.

Climbing under motor power is normal.

Motor screws coming lose is not normal. Were they properly tightened?

Jürgen
Old Jul 10, 2010, 04:16 AM
Marlborough
Joined Mar 2009
40 Posts
Thanks Jurgen. The motor screws were tight, or at least I thought they were. I have retightened them now. I was thinking that the vibration caused when the prop opens up against the force of the rubber band might have contributed, but I guess if no one else has had an issue then I couldn't have tightened them enough. Regarding the climbing, I will try to trim it out on my next flight unless you guys have a better idea? As I say, I'm very new to this!
Breitling is offline Find More Posts by Breitling
Old Jul 10, 2010, 06:49 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,312 Posts
Ever think people might just want an opinion on a plane. All the facts and figures wont replace gut instinct.

I have flown a stack of planes that I could quote a myriad of numbers for that just were not fun to fly. On the other hand I have flown a heap of models that also have a stack of numbers, figures and facts that were fun to fly. When I read a review it is unlikley that I will have access to the same power setup as the reviewer of the model and as battery quality has a huge impact on performance anyway I think while it's nice to have the data there it's not why I am reading the review. I am reading to find out what the revewer thought of the model. Building quality and tips, flight characteristics etc.

Breitling: Pitching under throttle is an unavoidable issue with the Xeno. In other models you have the ability to adjust the thrust angle up down and left right to trim this to make the model more enjoyable and better to fly. Due to the setup (power from the motor is sent down a shaft to the prop) on the Xeno this is not possible. The funjet is a classic example of the ability to being able trim the thrust pitch.

I doubt that you didn't tighten the screws up tight enough, more like vibration and or a lack of a dab of thread lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
As mentioned before: When I write reviews, I always try to be as objective as possible, providing measured figures like climb rates, sink rates, weights, current consumption, prop rpm, motor-, battery- and ESC temperatures etc.

Jürgen
Old Jul 10, 2010, 08:50 AM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Jurgen. The motor screws were tight, or at least I thought they were. I have retightened them now. I was thinking that the vibration caused when the prop opens up against the force of the rubber band might have contributed, but I guess if no one else has had an issue then I couldn't have tightened them enough. Regarding the climbing, I will try to trim it out on my next flight unless you guys have a better idea? As I say, I'm very new to this!
As mentioned above always use a medium strength threadlock product ...... I always use Locktite 243 ....... never had a problem ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jul 10, 2010, 09:30 AM
Joined Oct 2009
9 Posts
And what about mixing a little elevator down with the throttle?
Could that be a way to avoid serious climbing when going to full throttle?

Willem.
Willem01 is offline Find More Posts by Willem01
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:48 AM
Marlborough
Joined Mar 2009
40 Posts
Thanks gents, I'll get some loctite and probably wait until the wind has dropped tomorrow before I take the Xeno out again.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 01:09 PM
Poole, England
Joined Jun 2008
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willem01 View Post
Thats exactly what I have been thinking of doing, currently I use a 3-position switch with mixes to suit and it's been working pretty well.
frogbmth is offline Find More Posts by frogbmth
Old Jul 10, 2010, 01:46 PM
Marlborough
Joined Mar 2009
40 Posts
I use a JR and I'm nowhere near ready to program mixes on it yet unfortunately!
Old Jul 10, 2010, 05:17 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
Ever think people might just want an opinion on a plane. All the facts and figures wont replace gut instinct.
I am reading to find out what the revewer thought of the model. Building quality and tips, flight characteristics etc.
Of course you got all the other things in my reviews as well. I just don't like descriptions like "climbs like a bat out of hell", or "glides forever", because they are rather meaningless. You can even find those descriptions in the EasyStar thread. For somebody who never flew a good glider, the EasyStar may appear marvelous to him (or her).

For reviews, the models usually are equipped with the recommeded gear. If you replace it with similar items, you can still expect similar results.

Jürgen
Old Jul 10, 2010, 06:02 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Of course you got all the other things in my reviews as well. I just don't like descriptions like "climbs like a bat out of hell", or "glides forever", because they are rather meaningless. You can even find those descriptions in the EasyStar thread. For somebody who never flew a good glider, the EasyStar may appear marvelous to him (or her).

For reviews, the models usually are equipped with the recommeded gear. If you replace it with similar items, you can still expect similar results.

Jürgen
To the average American RC pilot, those terms "glides forever" and "bat out of hell" describe a planes performance better then stating wing load or grams thrust. We have trashed the English language to the point where learning our slang is as important as learning proper English to be able to communicate properly. I'm always amazed by Europeans who learned English as a second language and post on these threads so well when half the people in this country can't type a legible post.
Jurgen, I enjoy reading your post and reviews. Keep up the good work.

Gene
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:08 PM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,312 Posts
Yeah that works really good too. With something like the xeno the tiny bit of lost efficiency due to the increased drag is not an issue.

2500gene, Jurgen : Your both right, as normal the truth is in the middle. Personal taste, I like to read a review that says it climbs like a bat out of hell, and it's even better if the reviewer then adds some real world stats. What I haven't seen yet that would be good is comparable bar graphs on performance.

Jurgen do you record battery temp before during and at the end of your "stats" runs ? As we all know battery temp has a huge impact on performance and it would be good to know what your temperatures were given your battery c rating and current draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willem01 View Post

Willem.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 02:16 AM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
However you describe it I've always thought the climb rate of the Xeno is excellent and a real benefit of the design ...... climb fast and high ...... turn off the power and slope soaring is a lot of fun .....

http://yfrog.com/0vimg0378vij
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jul 11, 2010, 02:40 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
Yeah that works really good too. With something like the xeno the tiny bit of lost efficiency due to the increased drag is not an issue.
Lost efficiency? It doesn't matter whether you mix in a bit of down elevator with the throttle to reduce the climb angle or redcuce it manually with your elevator stick.

Jürgen