HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2010, 04:10 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogbmth View Post
... rated to 100A. ...
Where did you get the 100A rating from? I can't find this information.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2010, 04:41 PM
Poole, England
Joined Jun 2008
56 Posts
This is what the rep here said and there are forum posts on other boards where people have been advised the same by local reps. They are a similar design to deans but have a larger area of contact and much easier to handle. I was a bit suspicious at first as I figured they would be more widely used if they were as good as people were telling me, but I ordered a few for one heli and quickly converted all my aircraft over.

There are knock-offs from HK you can get , I ordered a bag and they look just as good as the real deal and are compatible, so I will use these on my lower current draw machines
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9762

I pull 80A continuous and 150A bursts through mine on my bigest electric heli no problems, they don't get warm. They are well worth looking into for anybody with connetor woes

Andy
frogbmth is offline Find More Posts by frogbmth
Old Jul 07, 2010, 06:19 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,439 Posts
Quote:
I changed all my models over to Traxxas high current connectors and never looked back. No more heat shrink, easy to solder, easy to connect and disconnect with the big grab areas and rated to 100A. Everybody I show them to on my planes and helicopters changes over, I can't understand why they are not more popular
+ one on this. I was a "deans4ever" kinda guy till I tried the traxxas connectors!. They are SO much easier to solder. No worries about warping them like deans (sure, you wont warp deans soldering them either.... If you are an expert solderer, which must of us arent) No worries about shrink wrap. I cant even count the number of times I soldered up a deans connector, then had to de-solder it because I forgot the stupid shrink wrap....

I use traxxas on everything now, even my mini's....

The biggest complaint I hear about the traxxas connectors is how long they are compared to deans, which is dumb because sure, the actual plastic part is shorter on the deans, but when you add in the lugs on the back and the shrink wrap, they are close enough to the same length that its a non issue.

And like many others, I have severely damaged a plane trying to get the deans connectors apart!
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jul 08, 2010, 04:59 AM
Electric only
Graz - Austria
Joined Nov 2002
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling View Post
Yep, I've tried that! I find that the plastic case melts when tinning the pins. The cables on the lipo are made from very fine silver threads, which don't take solder very well. I've upgraded my soldering iron to a 30w and still experience the same problem. Do you think I need a more powerful iron?
Yes ! And some soft solder flux. I put some on the cable and it just sucks in the tin. Some tin on the pins and then holding the cable inside or on the pins (depending on thickness). A short heating and everything flows together.

I use a 60W Ersa temperature controlled soldering iron - pays off in the long run. In contrary to other opinions I use very high temperature. Usually about 380°C. Even for semiconductors. This way I only need to heat the tin for a very short time and the surrounding doesn't get so much heat as with a lower temperature iron where you need to heat for a long time. I need less than 2sec. for a cable to a MPX connector. For thick cables and connectors I even go up to 440°C.

RK
rkopka is offline Find More Posts by rkopka
Old Jul 08, 2010, 05:18 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
I cant even count the number of times I soldered up a deans connector, then had to de-solder it because I forgot the stupid shrink wrap....
I would have thought doing that once would be lesson enough.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2010, 06:50 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,280 Posts
And I thought I was hard on the Xeno anyone else see the RCM&E review ?
flyingrally is offline Find More Posts by flyingrally
Old Jul 08, 2010, 07:12 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingrally View Post
And I thought I was hard on the Xeno anyone else see the RCM&E review ?
This issue has already been discussed:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=687

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2010, 12:15 PM
Poole, England
Joined Jun 2008
56 Posts
In fact the Xeno in that review is now mine, I bought it off the reviewer.

It CG balanced perfectly with a 1300mah Turnigy LiPo and was well put together. I've since upgraded to the tuning power set though and will pop the standard power set up for sale. It was very efficient and fine for cruising around the field, but struggled a bit aginst strong wind and didn't climb as fast as I wanted. It does not sag after launch for me and the nose tended to rise not drop until I sorted the diff.

I'm loving the Xeno which just goes to show, reviews are an opinion and do not often reflect the satisfaction levels everybody can expect from a model and their individual setup. We all enjoy different things and one person's minor niggle can be another's showstopper. Hat off to the reviewer for not praising a model outright which does become tiresome in magazines with a multi page spread from the manufacturer in question

Andy
frogbmth is offline Find More Posts by frogbmth
Old Jul 08, 2010, 01:57 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,728 Posts
Quote:
Hat off to the reviewer for not praising a model outright ...
Hi Andy,

you don't need to praise a model when it doesn't deserve it and he (or she) can share his/her opinion, but they should still get the facts right.

When I write reviews, I always try to be as objective as possible, providing measured figures like climb rates, sink rates, weights, current consumption, prop rpm, motor-, battery- and ESC temperatures etc.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2010, 06:07 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
I would have thought doing that once would be lesson enough.

Jürgen
Hehe yea if you do it every day, but just enough time goes by between my soldering connectors to forget, lol...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jul 10, 2010, 01:01 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,280 Posts
So what? it can't be discussed again? The issue has only just landed in store for anyone outside of the UK and subscribers.

Quote:
This issue has already been discussed:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=687

Jürgen
Last edited by flyingrally; Jul 10, 2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 01:22 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,728 Posts
Oops - DP.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2010, 01:23 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingrally View Post
So what? it can't be discussed again?...
Of course you can discuss it again, but facts and figures usually don't change by discussing them.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2010, 02:06 AM
Marlborough
Joined Mar 2009
40 Posts
I took my Xeno out last night in about 8mph winds and it was pretty solid. Launching was fine, but I feel it could have done with some more weight in the nose. I am very new to flying, so my experience is minimal. The nose did seem to want to rise a bit when it was flying into wind or when I put the power on, so I decided to land to fit a 1300 lip which would add about 20g to the weight. When I landed (and cartwheeled!) I checked the Xeno over and found that all of the motor mounting screws had come loose, and one had fallen out and was rattling around inside the pod!! This was after about 20 minutes of flying with the tuning set. Is this a common occurrence or have I missed out some washers on the motor?
Breitling is offline Find More Posts by Breitling
Old Jul 10, 2010, 02:09 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,280 Posts
But opinions generally do

and as a review is generally somoneones opinion + a few facts a figures ?

Quote:
Of course you can discuss it again, but facts and figures usually don't change by discussing them.

Jürgen