HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:35 AM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling View Post
Sound like a good plan for keeping the cables tidy. I've got some 1300 lipos I'm going to use in mine, so I've ordered some MPX connectors to fit to them. Is it pretty obvious which pins I solder the lipo terminals to?
The MPX connectors are clearly marked + and - .......

If you are replacing a different type of connector on the Lipo remember ....... cut one cable and solder/heat shrink to the new connector ...... only then do you cut the second cable and repeat the process .......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2010, 05:12 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,310 Posts
Gee that would be two incidents then Jurgen.. I wonder how many more go unreported.

Breitling - why not just solder a deans on the esc. Only have to solder once and no power issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogbmth View Post
Had power loss flying my Xeno today, throttled back to glide in. Found that one of the motor wires I had tucked away had come loose and fouled the motor. I should have put a clip of some sort in to tether the wires, definitely gonna do that now. Lesson learnt.
flyingrally is offline Find More Posts by flyingrally
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:45 AM
Multirotors blow
Peterborough, England
Joined Dec 2006
920 Posts
new Xeno video

OK guys - I've had a lot of questions here on the forum about the fin size of the Xeno since I said that it was too small IMHO. I posted some pictures of my mod and some other people have also modified their Xenos with bigger fins. It is only really a problem if you want to fit a camera to the model or you hate to see it waddle in the air - I also think it helps with low speed turns.

Anyway, I've finally put together a little video of how my modified plane flies and I'm very pleased with the way it handles with the bigger fins! Enjoy the movie!

http://www.youtube.com/user/georgebinns#p/u
georgebinns is online now Find More Posts by georgebinns
Old Jun 29, 2010, 07:04 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebinns View Post
Enjoy the movie! ...
Can't enjoy the movie, because it uses content from Sony Music Entertainment and UMG.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:45 AM
Multirotors blow
Peterborough, England
Joined Dec 2006
920 Posts
Works fine in the UK - just shows some advertising for the music - surely the way it should be all round the world?

When I get time I'll re-encode it without the soundtrack.

George
georgebinns is online now Find More Posts by georgebinns
Old Jun 29, 2010, 04:45 PM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Works fine in the UK - just shows some advertising for the music - surely the way it should be all round the world?

When I get time I'll re-encode it without the soundtrack.

George
I would like to see it without the music George ....... Technically it helps to understand what's going on ......

Must admit I don't like the Xeno 'Waggle' so if you have cured it it would be great .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jul 01, 2010, 12:28 AM
Marlborough
Joined Mar 2009
40 Posts
I can't see the video either, as it says it's not available on YT mobile!
Breitling is offline Find More Posts by Breitling
Old Jul 01, 2010, 05:43 PM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,310 Posts
Works fine for me in OZ. Looks like you solved the problem. How much bigger did you go ? Are those really carbon/kevlar fins ?

Quote:
OK guys - I've had a lot of questions here on the forum about the fin size of the Xeno since I said that it was too small IMHO. I posted some pictures of my mod and some other people have also modified their Xenos with bigger fins. It is only really a problem if you want to fit a camera to the model or you hate to see it waddle in the air - I also think it helps with low speed turns.

Anyway, I've finally put together a little video of how my modified plane flies and I'm very pleased with the way it handles with the bigger fins! Enjoy the movie!

http://www.youtube.com/user/georgebinns#p/u
Old Jul 07, 2010, 02:57 AM
Marlborough
Joined Mar 2009
40 Posts
I think you're right guys, the MPX connectors are nearly impossible to solder neatly. Any tips? It took me about 2 hours just to get one lipo done!
Old Jul 07, 2010, 03:17 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,760 Posts
Quote:
I think you're right guys, the MPX connectors are nearly impossible to solder neatly. Any tips? It took me about 2 hours just to get one lipo done!
It is usually dead simple. Just ensure that you add solder to the pins and the cable first and ensure that you got (+) and (-) correct.

Here are some pictures:

http://flyheli.helitron.eu/mpx.htm

Sometimes it is beneficial to have a new appropriate connector plugged into the other side during soldering.

Jürgen
Old Jul 07, 2010, 04:42 AM
Marlborough
Joined Mar 2009
40 Posts
Yep, I've tried that! I find that the plastic case melts when tinning the pins. The cables on the lipo are made from very fine silver threads, which don't take solder very well. I've upgraded my soldering iron to a 30w and still experience the same problem. Do you think I need a more powerful iron?
Old Jul 07, 2010, 05:02 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,310 Posts
Yeap.

I use a 40watt turned right up.

I melt the solder into the wire first getting a good wick. Then wick some solder onto the pins ensuring it runs so as not to make a cold solder joint. then it's a case of ehating the two together and the generally wick together.

I have a handy third hand clamp to make life simpler. I have seen some very special soldering helpers for rc starting to show up too.

Quote:
Yep, I've tried that! I find that the plastic case melts when tinning the pins. The cables on the lipo are made from very fine silver threads, which don't take solder very well. I've upgraded my soldering iron to a 30w and still experience the same problem. Do you think I need a more powerful iron?
Oh yeah and get rid of the mpx connectors and go deans or bullets
Old Jul 07, 2010, 06:25 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,760 Posts
Quote:
Are you sure that you have original MPX connectors and not some cheap bogus parts? The plastic on the original MPX can stand quite a bit of heat, especially when you connect it with the appropriate counterpart as a heat sink for the pins. Up to 1.5mm² cables I use an ERSA 16W soldering iron, otherwise a 40W one.

Jürgen
Old Jul 07, 2010, 07:31 AM
Marlborough
Joined Mar 2009
40 Posts
Hi Jurgen, I've definitely got copies, which can't help. I'll see if I can get originals from my local supplier.
Old Jul 07, 2010, 12:12 PM
Poole, England
Joined Jun 2008
56 Posts
I changed all my models over to Traxxas high current connectors and never looked back. No more heat shrink, easy to solder, easy to connect and disconnect with the big grab areas and rated to 100A. Everybody I show them to on my planes and helicopters changes over, I can't understand why they are not more popular

http://www.traxxas.com/products/acce..._connector.htm
frogbmth is offline Find More Posts by frogbmth