SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 02, 2010, 07:36 PM
A fool in a field.
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebinns View Post
Dustypockets - I have been flying my Xeno for months now and am very happy with it but it does need some modifications to get the best from it IMHO. I feel that Multiplex should address these problems if they want the Xeno to sell consistently for years to come.

1. Increase the fin area - these post will give you an idea what to do - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=677
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=678
2. Modify the control linkages to exit from the top of the wing - it's easy to do if you give it a bit of thought.
3. I understand that they have now changed the drive shaft from a carbon rod to a metal one. To be honest, if you never run the motor while it is on the ground the carbon rod is fine as long as you alighn it correctly when you first assemble it - see this post - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=404
4. And my last request is - give it a go, you will love it.

George
Thanks for the info George.

I do believe your right, the fins are too small for lower speed sport flying and gliding. I have a wrecked FunJet, maybe I can salvage the fins off of it and make a fin extension.

10 or so flights on it. I like it but Jurgens right, its not going to be a "Homerun" plane like the FunJet for MPX. Speaking of Multiplex, got a connection for a discount Merlin........but thats another thread.

Dusty
DustyPockets is offline Find More Posts by DustyPockets
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2010, 01:36 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,310 Posts
Wallows like my pregnant wife

Well finally pulled the box out today and 4 hours later I was standing out the front of the house throwing it into the sky. It's really got a nice shape and sound but damn does the thing wallow, waddle, waggle.

Total cost to get to flight line minus rx and batt $AUS 400, personally I think I will stick to my Swift2 for most things. Sorry Mulitplex the $200 extra you stung me for the "power up" kit really damaged our relationship. Not including the extra parts minus the esc and motor in the standard kit was a joke.
flyingrally is offline Find More Posts by flyingrally
Old Jun 05, 2010, 12:36 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
starting my build

GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Jun 05, 2010, 05:13 PM
A fool in a field.
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
Keep us informed. Thanks for all the good work on the Podcast, usually have an episode on when building.
DustyPockets is offline Find More Posts by DustyPockets
Old Jun 05, 2010, 05:29 PM
Poole, England
Joined Jun 2008
56 Posts
Sweet

So new and clean. Mine is a little battered now. I had to rescue it from the top of a tree last weekend, wearing sandals and shorts as I was wading through stinging nettles, followed by a barbed wire fence and a dry stone wall to get to the tree. Sure wasn't going to leave it up there!
frogbmth is offline Find More Posts by frogbmth
Old Jun 05, 2010, 05:31 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
haha. cool.

Yeah it's going together easy. One thing I would have changed during the build if I noticed it, was to leave the 8 pieces of plastic off just for the purpose of removing the winglets. I will never need too.. and could have saved on weight..
Old Jun 06, 2010, 01:20 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke View Post
haha. cool.

Yeah it's going together easy. One thing I would have changed during the build if I noticed it, was to leave the 8 pieces of plastic off just for the purpose of removing the winglets. I will never need too.. and could have saved on weight..
Well, if the model would not have been designed to be foldable, many plastic parts could have been left off.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jun 06, 2010, 01:55 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,310 Posts
And if multiplex included the engine mount in the kit from the begining I wouldn't have to put up with their choice of motor and esc at ripoff prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Well, if the model would not have been designed to be foldable, many plastic parts could have been left off.

Jürgen
Old Jun 06, 2010, 02:10 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingrally View Post
And if multiplex included the engine mount in the kit from the begining I wouldn't have to put up with their choice of motor and esc at ripoff prices.
Well, some guys will only fly the Xeno on the slope. Why should they pay for all the extra parts they don't need? If you don't want to use the recommended motor/ESC, all other parts are also available.

Jürgen
Old Jun 06, 2010, 02:21 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,310 Posts
Not in Australia where the model will prodominatly be powered. Here the Xeno sells for $89 and the power up kit is $220. Poor form I think that you can't get the power mod parts without the esc and motor.

Quote:
Well, some guys will only fly the Xeno on the slope. Why should they pay for all the extra parts they don't need? If you don't want to use the recommended motor/ESC, all other parts are also available.

Jürgen
Old Jun 06, 2010, 04:15 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingrally View Post
Not in Australia where the model will prodominatly be powered. Here the Xeno sells for $89 and the power up kit is $220. Poor form I think that you can't get the power mod parts without the esc and motor.
So there are no spare parts available for Multiplex models in Australia? I find that hard to believe. Alternatively there must be other model shops willing to ship to Australia.

Jürgen
Old Jun 06, 2010, 04:50 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,310 Posts
Spare parts.... ROFL

Mate we are lucky if we even get the model to start with. Most are usually out of stock. We have had times when the only way to get a funjet for 8 months was to order it from the US. Which like anything is expensive to ship to Australia.

Quote:
So there are no spare parts available for Multiplex models in Australia? I find that hard to believe. Alternatively there must be other model shops willing to ship to Australia.

Jürgen
Old Jun 06, 2010, 09:22 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
I will fold the plane possibly for easy transport, however removing the winglets is a little overboard. Also, I did find it strange that the "canopy" was in the power pack package and not with the main kit.
Old Jun 06, 2010, 12:50 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke View Post
Also, I did find it strange that the "canopy" was in the power pack package and not with the main kit.
Why strange? The kit comes with the glider canopy, which is sleeker and lighter than the canopy for the electric driven version.

Jürgen
Old Jun 06, 2010, 02:15 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
ah, that's what that is. makes since now. (so I can switch to slope/power quickly?)
Shoving this shaft barring inside the plastic is a pain.