Old May 19, 2010, 05:39 AM
Multirotors blow
Peterborough, England
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Hi George,

I am not too sure whether increasing the fin area is such a good idea, especially when flying in cross wind turbulence, i.e. slope soaring.

Control linkages on top are better, except from an aesthetics point of view.

The CRP drive shaft is only good for the basic drive. On the Tuning drive it will fail - no matter how well aligned.

Jürgen
With all due respect Jürgen, a flying wing that "wallows" is not right by anybodys standards - especially when it is so easy to fix. If it is too much for the slope, order a spare set of standard fins to use there!

Control linkages on top - no brainer - end of argument!!!! Even the wing folds better!!!

My second carbon shaft (broke my first one when the prop caught my finger on launch with power on) is just fine after 50+ flights launching power off on my tuning set motor so don't see the problem - unless you touch the ground while the props are still spinning then it is likely to break or fracture as yours did.

[/QUOTE]I like the curves of the Xeno, whats the old saying.....if it looks good it will fly good. Time will tell.[/QUOTE]

Dusty - go fly and enjoy the Xeno - it is a lovely smooth model when set up correctly.

George.
georgebinns is offline Find More Posts by georgebinns
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2010, 06:54 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebinns View Post
With all due respect Jürgen, a flying wing that "wallows" is not right by anybodys standards - especially when it is so easy to fix. If it is too much for the slope, order a spare set of standard fins to use there!
My second carbon shaft (broke my first one when the prop caught my finger on launch with power on) is just fine after 50+ flights launching power off on my tuning set motor so don't see the problem - unless you touch the ground while the props are still spinning then it is likely to break or fracture as yours did.
Hi George,

have a look at my video. Do you see any "wallowing"?

My carbon shaft started to develop a hairline fracture during the 5th flight and I replaced it, before the condition got worse. The prop never touched the ground while spinning and I used soft start and soft brake with the original ESC. You must be very lucky to still fly your CRP shaft.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old May 19, 2010, 04:13 PM
Poole, England
Joined Jun 2008
56 Posts
I bought a secondhand Xeno this week, looking forward to taking it out this weekend. Thanks to everybody who posted their experiences and advice in this thread, it's awesome

Andy
frogbmth is offline Find More Posts by frogbmth
Old May 20, 2010, 07:19 AM
Multirotors blow
Peterborough, England
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
Quote:
Hi George,

have a look at my video. Do you see any "wallowing"?

My carbon shaft started to develop a hairline fracture during the 5th flight and I replaced it, before the condition got worse. The prop never touched the ground while spinning and I used soft start and soft brake with the original ESC. You must be very lucky to still fly your CRP shaft.

Jürgen
Jürgen, It's hard to see the "wallowing" from the ground, I accept that - but it is very obvious if to fit a camera on the nose! As I intend to use the airframe for FPV work I needed to fix the problem. As an added bonus, with the bigger fin area you can really crank it round at low speeds and it won't side slip out of the sky. I like to do very slow and low figure of eights in front of me and with the original fins it was almost impossible.

I'm going away for a couple of days but when I get back I will post some great video I took the other day of me doing this maneuver - great fun.
George.
georgebinns is offline Find More Posts by georgebinns
Old May 20, 2010, 07:37 AM
My other vehicle is unmanned
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
Had my 1st FPV Crash yesterday evening! I was flying low down this small gravel track in between the trees ether side and miss judged my speed / spacing between trees when i pulled out woops tree! felt a bit like Luke skywalker till it all went wrong. couple of dents to the left hand leading edge near the center but not to bad everything else survived im glad i added the carbon rods. that will teach me not to be to adventures.
fpvnick is offline Find More Posts by fpvnick
Old May 21, 2010, 03:48 AM
Florence Italy
Joined Dec 2009
892 Posts
motor news
Assembly with little lipo 4s 1300 mah and 1400 kv 45gr brushless 25A

Fast...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
magrinsi is offline Find More Posts by magrinsi
Old May 21, 2010, 04:19 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
paint job looks great and a nice compact motor mount very clean build have you got any videos?
Old May 21, 2010, 05:14 AM
Florence Italy
Joined Dec 2009
892 Posts
tomorrow...may be
magrinsi is offline Find More Posts by magrinsi
Old May 23, 2010, 09:08 PM
A fool in a field.
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
All done, one flight on it with a fixed prop. Added the folder tonight but fairly windy so I will save it for another day. First flight was with a 1300 Mah and balanced well. Added a motor cover I salvaged from some unknown project and moved the ESC under it. I may need a 1800 to correct the CG, but not too worried about the weight as it does have a somewhat big wing area.
DustyPockets is offline Find More Posts by DustyPockets
Old May 24, 2010, 04:37 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
my xeno still fliyed great with 2300mAh 3 cell lipo so i dont think you will need to worry about the weight
Old May 24, 2010, 10:09 AM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvnick View Post
my xeno still fliyed great with 2300mAh 3 cell lipo so i dont think you will need to worry about the weight
My Xeno weights 970 grams AUW, 3S 2000mAh Graupner LiPo and Turnigy 3530-1450kV with Aeronaut Carbon 9x6" folding prop. Still unlimited vertical (oky, it drains the battery pretty fast ).
Sleurhutje is offline Find More Posts by Sleurhutje
Old May 24, 2010, 01:22 PM
A fool in a field.
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
2 flights with the folder this morning. The 1800 works ok perhaps a bit tail heavy, right at the edge of the recommended CG by MPX. Glides well.......3 go arounds at the local soccer field to get her in.
DustyPockets is offline Find More Posts by DustyPockets
Old May 24, 2010, 03:22 PM
Joined Jul 2007
83 Posts
I just received my steel rod which replace the carbon rod. Anyone here get their hollow steel rod?
Trunks is offline Find More Posts by Trunks
Old May 25, 2010, 03:16 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Strange: I thought I had read about other guys receiving their steel tubes, but I can't find their posts?

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Last edited by Jurgen Heilig; May 25, 2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:44 PM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Strange: I thought I had read about other guys receiving their steel tubes, but I can't find their posts?

Jürgen
Mine is in the country .....

just have to get over to my LHS and pick it up ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14